“Has some issues but overall not bad”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Branchville
Harmony Ridge Farm & Campgrounds
Stanhope, New Jersey
“Has some issues but overall not bad”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have been to Harmony Ridge on several occasions and the reason for returning is not for a great pool or park, it is because they have larger than normal sites and you are not limited to just 4 people per site like other campgrounds (which makes no sense when you have a 6 person Pop up). You can keep yourself fairly busy with activities and they don't harrass you to death about "quiet time" like other campgrounds. Do not get me wrong...I do not appreciate loud music until 3am, but if I want to sit around talking or hanging around a fire it is nice to have the option to do so. Yes the pool is not the greatest and it is rusty and yes the bathrooms and grounds can be kept in better shape, but I have seen worse. The first time I visited, the owners were not overly friendly, but they seem fine after awhile and there was a sulfer smell to the water, however in my recent trips the smell was gone. I have been to many campgrounds NJ, NY and PA and overall Harmony Ridge is not the best, but it certainly is not the worst. In fact we are returning the end of June 2013. If you are very picky about certain things then maybe its not the place for you, but I have gone in large and small groups and we always have a good time with very little complaints.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessy D

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
NJ
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Here is the real story. We are seasonal campers at Harmony Ridge. Yes the water stinks, it is natural well water that is very high in sulfer, but won't harm you. We only use it for showering and dishes. Yes the place could be better maintained. Some years the owners seem to put more pride into the place than others. Their dumping and storage areas are on the outskirts, but visual and not hidden away, so some areas do not look very nice. It is a large campground and only has one bathroom facility, which includes 4 toilets and 2 showers in the ladies room. The stalls are small. During busy times the bathroom does get nasty from regular use and the slobs that abuse it. Campers think it is perfectly acceptable to leave soap, paper products, shampoo bottles, (even a beer bottle one time) in the stalls, even with a large garbage can 5 ft away. It is cleaned, although not often enough as far as I am concerned. The store is a little crowded but very well stocked, a nice big fire place in the club house which is used often, although the club house is not very organized and somewhat dingy and dirty. Could be maintained much better. The owners do little to maintain the lakes. Every few years they algicide them, but mostly they are overgrown with algea blooms and lots of weeds. The McDonalds jungle gym that is roped off is not broken as one person mentioned on this site, but rather STILL after several years not fully put together from the time it was purchased. The pool was once a beautiful pool, but there is a problem with many tiles missing and not repaired. The pool has a saltwater cleaning system, not chlorine, so it does not have that crystal clear water, but it is actually better to kill bacteria. The pool furniture is old and not repaired or maintained as should be, but is functional. The playground is an old fashioned playground. Think 1960/70's playground. The lake used to have many paddle boats that were repeatedly repaired, but not anymore. Usually by mid summer the paddleboats are broken. Now there are but a few, reason being is the abuse that campers put on them. I have personally seen the abuse, one time witnessing about 7 or 8 teen boys piling on top of one and attempting to sink it. Owners give free unsupervised use of the paddle boats and equipment, which is the problem. Can't tell you how many campers just dump the paddle boats and life vests on the ground and walk away and they end up floating in the middle or back end of the lake. There is only ONE garbage dump and by the end of the wkend it is overflowing to the extreme and disgusting looking, especially bad looking since it is in the parking lot in front of the main building. What we loved about the place is the lake has good fishing, the sites are very big by most campground standards. There are not a thousand and one rules to follow and the owners really don't give you a problem unless the campers really are problems. As for the owners.....they can be very nice or very rude and snippy, all depends on the day. You don't know which personality you will encounter at any given time. I'll assume that has to do with their stress levels. It is family run, the owners are quite up there in age and still work 10+ hour days and try to handle it all, which they can't and they do not hire enough help and their son just has no personallity what so ever and is rarely friendly. One last thing, there are no organized kids activities. So now you know. My #1 camping issue is space and privacy and this place has many large wooded sites and you are not on top of your neighbors which is what is most important to me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank psr63
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked our weekend at Harmony Ridge due to their pet friendly policy before I read any of the reviews here on this site. After seeing what people had to say here, I was a little nervous that we had made a bad choice. All I can say after our weekend there is don't let the negative reviews scare you away!

We checked in on Saturday at 3:30pm. Check in is at 5 but when I called for the reservation they said as long as it wasn't before 3pm they wouldn't charge any extra. The staff was very friendly and we were given a map to our site. We had a little trouble finding it at first because the roads aren't well marked at points but when we got there we were very pleased with the site. It was very clean and had water and power hookups. Another complaint I noticed from other users was the sulfur water. At no point in 3 days (with frequent use) did I smell any bad odors from the water. We pitched our tent and turned in early. The quiet hours do no seem to be enforced at all though because our neighbors across the road we playing loud music until around 1am and there was shouting from all over throughout the night. This may be due to it being the end of traditional camping season and it wasn't enough to keep us from sleeping.

On Sunday we explored the facilities. While it was too cold to use the pool or the beach they both looked clean and maintained. My main complaint would probably be the bathrooms. While they were clean and stocked, you either had to get in your car (from our site) and drive to them or take a 10 minute walk. At 2AM in the pitch dark this did not make for very happy campers, especially since it poured on Sunday night.

Monday we ate breakfast and packed up. It was really nice knowing we could take our time since check out is not until 5pm, though we were done and on the road by 2pm. I would definitely come back to Harmony Ridge!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Priteegrl
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed there last week of August. I made the reservation one week before. Over the phone I requested to arrive at noon. Check in is at 3:00 pm , so over the phone I was told is was going to be an additional $40. I was fine with it. Then when we arrive the woman that took care of me told me I had to pay a full extra day because I had arrive early and the check in was at 5:00 pm. The check in time is advertised on their website. How can she not know? When I told her that the check in was at 3:00 pm she just said ” well people can start checking in at 3. "I just think she tried to overcharge me. Then we went to or cabin. The first impression was Ok but when you start checking the place you can tell its not cleaned the way they are supposed to. The glass door was full of fingerprints, but the worst thing about it is the water. Stinks like hell. Then the pool needs major maintenance, is rusty. I am not coming back.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank migmanz

Travelers are raving about these Branchville hotels

Philadelphia,PA
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We just stayed here the weekend of August 3, 2012. We chose Harmony Ridge because we were meeting family and it was a good location. We usually tent camp, but the family we were meeting have an RV so we thought this place would suit us well. We were given 2 grassy sites next to each other. I am sure at one point Harmony Ridge was a nice place - maybe 20 years ago. Now it is run down and in need of major repairs. The swings, etc. on the playground were rusty, the "lake" for swimming looked like a swamp. After seeing how well the rest of the campground was cared for, we never went in the rust stained pool. The group of about 20 in the neighboring site brought a sound system and blasted techno music from 10:00am to 1:00am Friday night (when we asked them to turn it down). They spent the rest of the night smoking pot and talking about how they were smoking pot. I don't care if people drink or smoke - we had some beers at our site. It was the complete lack of respect for everyone around them that bothered me. I was trying to sleep! On Saturday night apparently there were enough complaints about the music and they were asked to turn it down by the campground staff at 11:00pm. The 1 bathroom we saw was disgusting and not cleaned the entire weekend. We usually camp at state parks and have found them to be well maintained, very clean (even the bathrooms!) and have never had crazy rowdy neighbors.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank philly1228
bergen county
Reviewed June 24, 2012

just stayed at harmony ridge this weekend 6/24/12 we stayed at a tent site that was a good size the pool was very nice and there was enough for the kids to do. I read some reviews that said the staff was rude they couldn't of been any nicer i would defiantly be going back what ever you do don't let the girl at the counter give you fishing lesson

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank npt76
Trenton, NJ
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This is the 2nd time my husband and I spent our Anniversary at Harmony Ridge, and we love it. The people that work there and own the campgrounds are friendly, down to earth, and are extremely helpful. We have stayed in two different cabins and loved every moment.

Pros

-The owners allow any breed of dog certain sites.
-There are no restrictions on fire time.
-Plenty to do for kids.
-Good chance of seeing wildlife.
-Lovely grounds.
-Super nice owners and employees.
-Cabins are great for families and couples.
-Just close enough to neighbors.
-Plenty of places to go in the area. Diner to eat at. Stores to shop in. Multiple movie theaters.

Cons
-Run off of rain water causes big potholes on street (make sure you have a car that can deal)
-Bring a mattress pad for the cabins bed.
-Still smart to bring what cooking stuff you may need, just basics in cabin
-Sulphr water... you get used to it, its not gonna hurt you. Plus if you run the water a little bit before use, you don't really smell it.

^These are not really cons, just fair warning, you are looking for a place to camp, so do not expect it to be a 5 star hotel.

Anyways, like I said before, we absolutely love this place, and know we are going to come back year after year!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branchville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newton Sparta
High Point Country Inn
High Point Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Wantage
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek

Been to Harmony Ridge Farm & Campgrounds? Share your experiences!