“Good value basic motel”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Bordentown
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We arrived quite late after travelling all day. The clerk at the front desk was pleasant and very helpful. He allocated rooms on the ground floor and access was through an entry door at the end of along hall. We were happy that the access to the main hallway was by the room security card but discovered that the door opened without the card. Inside the hallway had a very old carpet that looked dirty and we thought we had made a mistake checking in but we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was spacious and had a new carpet which was spotless. The whole room was clean and well maintained and the bathroom and shower were also clean. The area was quiet and the clerk at reception recommended the bar/restaurant next door if we wanted a beer. Breakfast was limited but ok.
Overall if we had read other reviews we would have stayed somewhere else but we had no complaints and would stay there again. Suggest that management consider updating hallway carpet and mend key access to hallway.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Late-Travellers

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Dodgy little motel with unsavoury characters hanging around outside the rooms. Scruffy room, not very clean. Just about passable for one night on a road trip. Oh, the breakfast is non-existant so dont rely on that. We made it through the night and survived, I suppose that's good enough at this level of accommodation. Would I stay again, no, I'd rather drive on through the night and sleep in the car.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car, it's like Physo-ville here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davebryant
econolodgebordentown, Webmaster at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments, left years ago. We take real pride in this hotel, the amenities we provide and our customer service and satisfy many guests each night. I hope you will try us again and see how we’ve changed and improved. We look forward to providing a comfortable night’s sleep that leads to a great day.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

From the outside this motel is very institutional looking, only a series of doors - no windows (the window faces the rear). The room and bathroom were clean and the bed itself was comfortable but the cleaning staff needs lessons in bedmaking. Both sheets were just draped on the bed, nothing tucked in. I had a worn out twin blanket on a queen bed and two lumpy pillows. The air conditioner was very loud and defied my efforts to regulate it, hence you either need the blanket or you're in a sauna. Breakfast offerings were very limited, consisting of coffee, apple or orange juice, and your choice of little danishes, stale donuts, and/or bagels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Betty L

Dear Guest,

Thanks for these comments left for us in 2012. You can be sure your comments were used as part of our continuing efforts to improve the property. I’m sincerely sorry that your stay with us two years ago was not as nice as it should have been, but you can be assured that things are much different and much better here now. We have a renewed commitment to comfort and value.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Looked great at first, then the next day of your vacation or stay your covered in bed bites that severly itch. If you have never dealt with bed bugs you just think they are mosquitoe bites, look close if they are grouped in 3 they are bed bug bites. You can not get rid of them unless you steam/heat all items to over 140 degrees. We went to localany hospital to confirm. DONT STAY HERE !! ASKED FOR A REFUND AND THEY WOULDNT REFUND OUR STAY ENTIRELY. its not our fault they are negligent.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Luv2trvlgrp

Dear Guest,

While we appreciate your comments, we strongly refute the damaging allegation that we had a bed bug issue at this hotel. While your comments were almost two years ago and we have improved the hotel in many ways since your stay, we have always taken every effort possible to ensure a sanitary and insect-free environment. Still, I apologize that we could not meet your needs during your stay.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've been staying in Bordentown once a week the last few months staying at the Days, Ramada, Comfort, and last night Econolodge. This place was the worse, the two pillows are about 2 inches thick, old, and must have been half dust mites. The blanket was just a bunch of pilled puff blobs, the bed lumpy, the toilet seat half off. I saved a big $9 over the other motels in the area and learned my lesson.

Room Tip: Forget the watered coffee & OJ, go to the diner next door.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank rpclancee
HotelGM329, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2016

I am terribly sorry to hear of your disappointment with our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Know that your voice is important to us and that we are working hard to address these issues and improve upon the guest experience. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

So, on a whim, my significant other decided to book us a room here; it's close to a good diner. Close to home, too. It was a whim, like I said ;-)
The bed was clean, as was the bathroom. The bed was...bearable...the pillows pathetic (like thick hankies)...but the blanket? Full and I do mean FULL of holes! It was threadbare and wrinkled and did I mention full of holes?
The entertaining part, for it was a chuckle: the replacement the desk clerk brought was a mattress cover.
Replacement #2 was, you guessed it, another mattress cover, this one w/ the requisite elastic corners!
Solution? I picked up a good blanket at home and we spent the night. Note: the first order of business in any hotel (for me) is to remove the bedspread. Ewwww. Ergo, the blanket becomes VERY important.
Ever again though? Not on your life!

Room Tip: Head south to the Best Western.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary W

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sincerely sorry that you had a bad experience at our hotel in 2011. Fortunately, we’ve changed and improved in many ways since then, and I hope you’ll try us again if you ever need a place to stay in this area. We’re changing and improving every day, and it shows it every way.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

I made a reservation to stay at this hotel for one night. When we arrived, we noticed the rooms had exterior doors and the website specifically stated there were interior corridors, which I consider a must-have. I went inside to check in and learned there was a building with interior corridors in the back. We checked in and proceeded to our room, which was on the second floor and there were no elevators. Not a big issue, but worth noting. He said the second floor rooms had been recently renovated.

When we entered the building, we did so without a key. So, while it was an interior corridor, there was no controlled entry. The hallway reeked of smoke, even though we were supposedly in a non-smoking area of the hotel. We found the room to be dirty, with what appeared to be coffee sprayed on the wall behind the beds. The a/c unit did not function at all.

We returned to the front desk and requested another room. This time, we had a room in the same building, but on the first floor. The room was filthy, the light flickered on-and-off constantly, and it the beds were doubles instead of queen size.

We checked back out of the hotel. It's worth noting that there was rubbish around the outside of the building, and many items (grates, vents, etc) were in disrepair.

I am appalled that they insisted on making a copy of my driver's license (which is against the law in my own state), and then he refused to return the copy when we checked out.

I would not stay here under any circumstances. I would not recommend it for anyone else, either.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank All50Eventually

Dear Guest,

Thank for you these comments about our property from 2011. We have upgraded every aspect of this property, including our customer service, since that time. While we should have responded to you then, we want you to know that these comments played a role in all our recent improvements, and we hope you will try us again if in the area again. Everything’s different and better now.