“Just Savory Italian Food in Unpretentious Setting”
Review of Palermo's

Palermo's
Ranked #3 of 57 Restaurants in Bordentown
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Unpretentious is an apt descriptor for Palermo’s. It starts with its location in an older, unassuming strip mall that could be easily missed. Inside, the atmosphere is that of a casual, family-style Italian neighborhood restaurant with a décor evoking Italy. The service is laid back but always friendly, attentive, and professional.

But do not let the relaxed environment fool you. The owner, who hails from Italy, is serious about preparing first-rate food. Yes, there are great pizzas, but I love the veal and chicken dishes first and foremost. Again, on the menu they do not look particularly creative or overly refined, but they are copious and consistently flavorful. Moreover, they come with a side of pasta whose tomato sauce is so savory that it has become my tomato sauce standard-bearer. The tiramisu, homemade cannoli, and chocolate pizza, in turn, make for excellent choices to wrap up a supremely satisfying meal.

Palermo’s does not have a liquor license so bring your own wine or beer if you would like some. And a final word of caution: the owner is from Italy and the bold, dark espresso shows it.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My wife and I were staying at a nearby hotel and heard about Palermo's as a great value. We arrived late and were going to just order and take our food back to the hotel but the owner (Julio), his son and our server (Melissa) would not hear of it. They said that people came in late quite often and that we were welcome to sit and enjoy our meal.We had brought our own wine so we sat down and asked what was available at that late hour and we were told whatever we wanted would be prepared fresh for us. The owner asked me if I liked pork chops and I do so he suggested the pork with potatoes smothered in peppers and onions (he had cooked the same meal for himself earlier). My wife wanted seafood and the shrimp with sauce over linguine was suggested. As an appetizer we ordered one of their small tomato pies.I don't think that it would have mattered what we ordered as it was all fantastic. The salads with bread and garlic knots (freshly hand made that afternoon) were outstanding. After enjoying the food and the unbelievably great hospitality/ atmosphere at the original Palermo's (the owner told us that he has three different locations), it is difficult for me to understand why Palermo's was not ranked as the #1 Italian and possibly the #1 restaurant in Bordentown. I can honestly and easily say that we not only recommend this location but plan to come back to try some of the many other menu offerings. It was easy to tell why their "tomato Pie" was awarded the title of "Best Tomato Pie" in the NY/NJ area. The rest of our meal would rank just as high in competition. The next time that we come to Palermo's, it will be earlier in the day so as to allow a few hours to enjoy the many menu options. We intend to order some of the garlic knots and have them shipped to North Carolina to share with our friends. As far as quality of food, we rate this a 12 on a 10 point scale. With respect to price and value, it rates a 9 or 10 on the 10 point scale. (Being able to bring in our own wine was very nice)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Plain and simple......the best tomato pie pizza around and the best calzone around. I want to try other things but I always get calzones and pizza because they are perfect!

2  Thank NJFoodLovingFool
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Wow, this tomato pie was so amazing. Our friends took us here for dinner while we were on vacation. The food was so good we went back 2 days later! I wish I could have some tomato pie now. MMmmmmmmm.

1  Thank MissMyDog
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I go at least once or twice a week. The bartender Brian and Donna are very friendly. Love the sangria. Good appetizers, good pizza.

1  Thank K T