“Great Pizza and staff!”

Marcellos Coal Fired Restaurant/Pizza
Reserve with OpenTable
Marcellos Coal Fired Restaurant/Pizza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 53 Restaurants in Bordentown
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Coal Fired Restaurant, Pizza Craft Beer, Wine, Fireplace, Banquets, Catering
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Pizza and staff!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

In March, we were traveling back from a taekwondo tournament in New York to Virginia. It was nighttime, raining and we were starving. We decided that we wanted authentic good pizza, so we googled "pizza" near the NJ turnpike area. We had three nearby choices so I chose the one that had a cool Italian sounding name "Marcello" and decent reviews. We were quite pleased with our choice. The restaurant was located in a quaint town called Bordentown about 15 mins. off of the turnpike. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the manager Vinny, and although we did not have a reservation, he promised us that would not have to wait to long. He kept his promise and the pizza and calamari did not disappoint, it was absolutely delicious. The restaurant is sort of small, but the staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome. By the time we were ready to leave, my husband and Vinny were like old pals. We would definitely visit again if we are in the area.

• Visited March 2013

“Second time not so lucky”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We returned to this restaurant, having had a pleasant and decent dinner with the family about six months ago. This time around, the food, the dining experience, and the bill left a lot to be desired. The menu is pretty extensive, which may be part of the problem, but I figured I couldn't go wrong ordering one of the special entrees. More on that later.

I am never a fan of admonitions on menus, and this one had several, including stern wording about one check per table, two credit cards per table and most ominously, "sharing charges will be applied". There also were warnings about substituting pasta for a vegetable at extra cost. I suppose those who are gluten intolerant would just have to suck it up and pay extra...

For appetizers, we ordered BBQ Pork Egg Rolls, which were a daily special and quite passable, with a spicy mango-pepper salsa, and the Sticky Calamari, which would more aptly be named Sickly Calamari. When it arrived, the smell of overdone honey was rather nauseating to say the least. The excessive sauce completely eliminated any crunch the calamari might have had, and the pine nuts and raisins provided visual punctuation at best. I can only recommend that this dish be avoided.

For entrees, my wife ordered salmon with bowtie pasta in a cream sauce, and my kids chicken parm and pizza. Not too much to complain about the latter two, but the salmon was overdone, the cream sauce too redolent of white wine, and the zucchini were few and far between.

I decided to be a bit more adventurous and ordered beef tenderloin stuffed with lobster in a cream sauce, with asparagus and potato pancake, for a mere $38 in central New Jersey... When it arrived along with my wife's dish, it was obvious they had been sitting under the heat lamp for a while; mine was dry and the sause had begun to separate. I mentioned it to the server, who responded that she had "brought it straight out." A likely story indeed, given that it took another five minutes for my kids' meals to arrive. I can't help but think that they had forgotten about the pizza and held everything else while it was rushed through.

The service was haphazard at best. When they removed our starter plates, with the silverware, we had to request replacements, and then got a full sets, with another napkin each. We weren't asked if we wanted more water, nor were we asked if we wanted such niceties has ground black pepper or Parmesan cheese; it purports to be an Italian-style restaurant, after all.

When my wife texted to get a free cannolo and what turned out to be 10% off the cheapest entree, they actually took her phone from her to verify that she had indeed received a response. No one carries sensitive information on their phone these days, right?

As for the bill, $150 including tip for the above dishes, one glass of white wine, and two lemonades, was in my opinion far from reflective of the poor value this place offered. There are several small restaurants in the old section of Bordentown; any of them should be worth a try compared with Marcello's. Its only redeeming quality was the outside terrace, and even that was marred by the poor-quality sound that was piped in.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank ibcgg1
Princeton, NJ
“You will enjoy the deck but, not the food”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Marcello's serves incredibly mediocre food but is in a cute town and in the summer the deck they have is the only outdoor dining area in town. Go on a nice summer evening and enjoy sitting outside but, have very low expectations for the food you will receive.

• Visited May 2013
Columbus, New Jersey, United States
“Friendly neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had to go here after having their delicious garlic knot sandwich at the street fair. Service was very friendly, food very good, and outdoor seating on a nice evening perfect.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank M M
Bordentown, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite restaurant in the area.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I love Marcello's. The food is delicious and fresh. They have a menu of specials that changes monthly, and there is always something interesting on the list. The service is excellent. Whether I am there for dinner or just picking up a slice of pizza, I am welcomed warmly. And did I mention their fresh-baked bread? The only drawback is that it is small, so reservations are a good idea for weekends and especially during events like restaurant week. During the warmer months they have a nice outdoor seatng area, so that opens up some more space.
A great place to eat in a town that has become a dining hotspot.

Visited April 2013