“A landmark but doesn't live up to its history”
Review of Mastoris Diner

Mastoris Diner
Ranked #1 of 4 Dessert in Bordentown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Food is ok but considering its a NJ diner landmark you'd think it would be awesome. The bakery and breads are good but good and meals are so-so. The meal is not worth the wait.

2  Thank Scott S

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We came to this diner on the recommendation of a friend, she claimed the food here was awesome. Boy was SHE wrong!!! The bakery is very impressive and has everything you would ever want, however, not all of it was good. I went with four other people and we all had a variety of bakery items. The cheesecake was good but the chocolate cream pie was bland at best. The bakery was OK but not good enough to eat there. The actual diner on the other hand, was disgusting. First of all, they have an eight page menu, which is NEVER a good sign. If the menu is too big, chances are the food is mediocre at best.(Just ask Gordon Ramsey or Robert Irving) My dad ordered a burger cooked medium. What he actually got was a mealy, completely bland overcooked burger. It was well done, not even CLOSE to medium. You would think a diner could handle a burger!!!! My husband had the lasagna. I couldn't begin to start picking apart everything that was wrong with it. It was basically lasagna noodles covered in a gross meat sauce with a thick layer of ricotta cheese on top. My sandwich was completely tasteless, which makes no sense because it had bacon, Russian dressing, and coleslaw on it. Even the quality of the corned beef on the Ruben was poor!!!! To add insult to injury, the prices for a diner are SKY high!!!!! $35.00 for a steak at a DINER!!!??!! I'll go to a steakhouse for that price!! I will never, EVER go back. With all the amazing diners around this area, I would never waste my time or money eating their sub-par food. BEWARE!! I would go to a different diner, otherwise prepare to be disappointed.

Also, people tell you to try the cheese bread and cinnamon bread. I have no idea why. They will bring you the cheese bread and cinnamon bread when you sit down. It's nothing to write home about. The cheese bread is actually cheese Danish, and the cinnamon bread is actually cinnamon Danish. That's it. Quite weird to bring you cheese and cinnamon Danish when you're coming in for dinner. I certainly don't want to eat a cheese Danish at 6pm as an appetizer to my supper. I found it weird to say the least.

3  Thank starchild22222
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stopped here for a late night, 10pm bite after a 4 hour flight. Nothing out of the ordinary. We both had BLT's, fries and coffee. People rave about Mastoris, but we find it nothing better than an standard diner. This particular time we were there, being it was late, the servers seemed to be in the "get me out of here" mode. Not only that, but the last thing diners want to see is servers arguing with one another. Oh please, leave that for the kitchen!! The waitress brought out our BLT's and literally dropped/threw them in front of us. It literally made me head spin, I was shocked. She didnt ask us if we wanted more coffee, then stopped by & said, "Im brewing a fresh pot of coffee because the other is old and has been sitting a long time." Great, thanks, thats why my first cup tasted icky. We told her we wanted the check. It has been awhile, but if you like cheese-bread, this is what they are famous for. Food- blah- nothing to brag about. Questions? stacey@windsorcrowntravel.com

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Not too far from I-295 exit 56 near intersection of 206 N and 130. (Worth seeking out). Found by chance last year and went back this year. We live far away. Upon entering, you walk thru an amazing bakery which I didn't look at but up being seated in the handsome diner section, one is presented with cinnamon & cheese bread. Greek salad had kalamata olives in it. I had stuffed green peppers, husband has chicken breast VeraCruz. For vegetable I had broccoli with olive oil & garlic. He had Italian style eggplant. Everything was excellent and well prepared-broccoli was not soggy. Next comes choice of dessert but we will pass on that. all this plus soft drink for 10.95 A family business!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stopped here on the way north off of the jersey turnpike. You must be hungry to eat here. The portions were huge! For $10.95 we got a 3 course meal. Food is good but not great. The included desserts baked in house were delicious. Service was good. The several eating rooms allow you to fell that you are not in a 300+ person restaurant. Recommended for the hungry!

1  Thank Roger M