“Slipping”

Brookside Thai Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 124 Restaurants in Bloomfield
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed May 17, 2014

While never the best Thai food, Brookside was usually fairly consistent. That is no longer the case. We like spicy food but tonight's meal was so spicy we couldn't eat it. These are the same dishes we have ordered multiple times in the past without issue. To top it off they once again forgot an item on our take out order and I had to drive back to pick it up. There are many good choices for Thai food in the area. It might be time to try another.

2  Thank angrydavenj

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Thai food was very good and the service was good and efficient. We had the traditional Pad Thai (vegetarian) and a sliced duck dish with crisp fried broccoli. The Pad Thai was outstanding and the presentation of the duck dish was as good as in any 5 star restaurant. Everything was quite tasty.

The downside, accounting for the lower rating, was the presence of fleas we noticed at the end of the meal. Since it's winter I wouldn't have expected this and it definitely put a damper on the dining experience. It causes me to wonder about the sanitary conditions in the kitchen.

Prices are quite reasonable.

1  Thank NJWorldTraveler3
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The food is okay, but the service is terrible. The lady behind the cashier tall and skinny was the most rude and the servers are very unaccommodating when it comes to seating selection. They can do much better if they improve their service and attitude. They are rude! I would not go back.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I love the food! From Pad Thai to Moo Yang, the food is magnificent!!!! I go here at least once or twice a month, and I LOVE it! The dumplings are my jam!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The food has regressed in recent times. Was much better several years ago.
The worst part is that the hostess who used to manage the floor left several years ago. She was an absolute pleasure. The woman who took over is downright rude. She was easily overlooked when the food was top notch, but with the decline in food quality, she's no longer tolerable. On one visit my dining companion asked for a knife. The new hostess berated her for her inquiry, claiming that it was an insult to the food. Imagine asking for a knife in a restaurant in America. The nerve!
I used to eat there several times a month. Now I rarely do take out, let alone dine in.
As for the food, the duck salad is as good as it gets. Their pad cee yew is exceptional, as is their musmun. Every now and again, they'll have a soft shell crab special that they do well, especially with basil. Their soups are pretty standard, as are their spring rolls.
They are BYO. Their prices are reasonable, and they do a nice job with their price point and portion sizes on their lunch specials. The kitchen moves quick enough. However, the hostess makes you feel unwelcome to the point of being uncomfortable.

1  Thank hitmanoo