All reviewshuge bathroomjacuzzi tubstay there againbagelswawamicrowaveproximityphiladelphiahighway
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This hotel was close to the events we were attending and we thought it would be okay as we only needed to stay one night. WRONG! The room was dirty, foul smelling, very uncomfortable bed, did not feel safe staying there. What's the word? "SEEDY!" I think that says it all. And the charge for the room for one night was ridiculous considering how awful the place was. Wish we could have just afforded to lose our money and try to find another place to stay but that wasn't possible. Wish we had thought to take pictures to share with anyothers thinking of staying here. Believe me, you would not! Will NEVER stay at any HOJO again after this terrible experience. We didn't check out any reviews first...big mistake...won't do that again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2010

This had to be the BIGGEST DUMP hotel/motel I have ever stayed in.This place should have been knocked down 20 years ago.The rooms were dirty and smelled of mold.The bathroom was dirty and outdated.We had to switch rooms because room #1 had a very foul odor,ripped chair cushion and was overall scary.While leaving the first room the door knob came off in my hand.The AC unit in the second room sounded like an old washing machine and smelled like a dirty ash tray. This was a non smoking room. We were forced to stay here due to a large group, otherwise we would have never checked in. We usually stay in the Marriot /Hilton type franchises.My advise is if you have no other choice than this place sleep in your car.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed June 30, 2010

The smell in the room was 100% unacceptable. The response from the staff that "it is a smoking room" was also unacceptable. The smoke odor was so strong there should have been a thick blue haze to go with it.
We expected to note the smell of previous smokers in the room, but what we were hit with as soon as we opened the door was unbelievable. There are too many good products on the market today, to sanitize air, for any room to smell the way that room did. We went through 1 whole can of Fabreeze the 1st night, just so we could sleep there that night + 1/2 of a 2nd can the next day.
Had the room not been prepaid, as was booked through priceline.com (and only a smoking room was available), we would have immediately ckecked out.
We will certainly never return to the Blackwood HoJo ...

Stayed: June 2010
Reviewed January 8, 2010

We stayed here because it was the only hotel in the area we could find that allowed animals. Since we had small animals, they only registered the fee for one of them. I was highly appreciative of that.

~Check-in was very nice, there was a friendly young man behind the counter. He showed us the three types of rooms we could choose from, asked for any discount cards we had (such as AAA), etc.
~It was the middle of winter, and our room was on the second floor - ugh! The stairs were horrible to begin with, and then add snow and ice it was almost like a deathwish to go up or down them.
~ The whole place was under construction, and the parking lot was very dark. The room smelled terrible! Like something was rotting in it, or like an old person (sorry, but it had that grandpa-ish smell to it). I wouldn't even let my pets touch the floor, so I dragged their giant collapsible kennels into the room.
~The bathroom was huge, yes - so unnecessarily big! It was awkward to even be in it, since I had to hike from the shower to the mirror. That space should not have been wasted on the bathroom, but added to the room instead. The bathroom also wasn't clean - the tub had weird dried on stains, no drain cover (just a gaping open hole) and the tiles were uneven and popping up from the floor.
~There were burn marks on everything, including a huge iron imprint on the carpet.
~There were people wandering around, they looked like they lived there. No one bothered us and it was okay for the few hours we were there, but I won't be heading back there next time I go through NJ.

We didn't stay for breakfast. I just got everyone packed up and left asap. The staff was extremely friendly, but the whole place felt creepy and kind of makes your skin crawl. I think once it's done with renovations, it will be a lot better. I really liked the porches on the rooms - too bad we couldn't use it, too cold outside!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2009

This place was very nice. I've stayed in stayed in hotels from Hilton to Days Inn. Although this Howard Johnson isn't a fantastic place, it is undergoing renovation, has a friendly staff, is pet friendly, clean and a great bargain at the price. I'd stay there again and would have my family stay there.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family