“Clean and convenient”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Blackwood
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Blackwood
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Clean room. Large bathroom with huge tub (wish it was a jacuzzi but it wasn't). Pool and envrons clean. Very refreshing during a hot day! Hotel staff very friendly. Hotel in good location near, but not too close to Rt 42. Good value for the money.

Room Tip: 2nd floor up.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Express Inn - Blackwood

Reviewed April 23, 2012

i got this room last minute to spend an extended weekend with the family to visit family. the room was very clean and the staff came by daily to clean up and were very nice. the location was great for the area we were visiting. my kids loved the size of the bathroom which by the way was very clean and that alone is a plus in my book. the area was nice and quiet and would visit again in warmer weather to check out the large pool... continental breakfast was ok althought i did wish there were eggs or waffles or even fruit cocktail.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I was scheduled to visit the area GCIT (Gloucester County Technical Institute) for a very crowded swim meet March 9th to the 11th. I called the better known hotels in Deptford NJ too late to get a reservation. all my daughters teammates had already booked at the Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn and the Hampton Inn. I have stayed at both the Fairfield Inn and the Residence Inn during previous years swim meets when I booked early. Anyway, i reserved a room with two double beds for Friday to Sunday. Arrived there at 2 PM to check out the room. The check in area is housed in a brand new two story building where the complimentary free breakfast is held. Breakfast is above average with bagels, bread, jam butter, cream cheese ,muffins, danish, two types of cereal , juices, tea and coffee. On saturday they also had some yellow cake. My wife complained 'no egg and sausage' which I don't expect at this price point.

The room was nonsmoking reasonably clean and smelled OK. The bathroom was clean. The blankets and sheets were clean though the blankets were not very new which was acceptable to me. The room had a microwave and a small refrigerator in which I stored cut fruits and ice cream from the local shoprite supermarket. There is a washer and dryer on site and I was able to dry my daughter's wet towels with six quarters (changed at the office)

Overall I was very happy to pay eighty dollars instead of close to double that at the other hotels. I agree it is not as upscale as the others and has a varied clientelle. I had no disturbance from my neighbours though I was aware that the walls do allow some filtered noise and I could faintly hear my neighbours shower running for 30 minutes at 9 PM.
Overall I was very happy with the price and quality of the facility. The main hotel is a little dated but it is mostly clean and very acceptable for under a hundred dollar price in a relatively expensive area.

The hotel could do with a cosmetic uplift as far as the main building exterior and interiors but that nay inbcrease the price!

Room Tip: Call the front desk before hand to ask for quiet neighbours. Arrive early to check out the room - if...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank docim
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We have stayed at this property 3 times in the last year as my son is attending college in Philadelphia. The rooms have always been clean and well maintained. The property is well lit, clean, and everything is easy to access. The beds aren't the greatest but they are functional. It would be nice if they used fitted sheets on the bottom, but that is a personal preference. I toss and turn a lot in my sleep so I always wake up with the sheets everywhere. Each room has a microwave and fridge and they have always been fully functional and clean. We haven't used the pool when we were there but from the room it looked well maintained. The internet is easy to access and has always worked well. The entire staff is helpful and accommodating and the rates are incredibly reasonable. Even though my son attends UPenn, he is on almost full aid and as a single parent and teacher I can't afford hotels in Philly near campus. This is the only hotel we stay at when we visit. The best part is that it's located very close to the highway and we can be in Philly at UPenn in less than 15 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kym G
Reviewed November 26, 2011

While traveling in November 2011, I stayed at the HoJo's in Blackwood and had a very nice and clean room (room 334) with a CLEAN soaker tub which I used twice. My 3rd night, unfortunately, I had to switch rooms to a room on the 1st floor (room 115). This room also had a King bed and was supposed to be an upgrade because it had a jacuzzi jet tub... Well, aside from the room smelling like stale smoke and mold, the carpet being stained and dirty and pulled up in the corner, when filled up the jacuzzi tub and turned on the jets brown mold came shooting out. Obviously, the jets hadn't been flushed and cleaned properly in ages.

So, if you make a reservation, make sure you request a room on the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: This is also a pet friendly hotel. The wifi isn't very strong. I had better wifi at Einstein b...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank denisehurley67
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days from 11/19/11 to 11/22/11. On our last night, my wife and my older daughter noticed a few red itchy bumps on their hand and wrist areas. We didn't think twice about it, as we were trying to finish up our sight seeing before we left Phlly the next day. When we got home, the bites on my wife had multiplied and there were red itchy bumps on her face and neck too. The bites also got redder and itchier. 2 days after we got back, my wife's condition deteroriated so much that her bites became swollen and inflamed. She could hardly open her left eye because of the swollen bumps around her eye. Many of the bumps ruptured and were oozing pus. In her own words, "I look hideous. How can I go back to work on Monday?". She had to make an emergency trip to her doctor instead of doing her favorite Black Friday shopping. My older daughter's condition also got worse and we had to go to an urgent care center to see her doctor after my wife was done with her doctor's appointment. Her bites multiplied too and her doctor also confirmed that the bites were caused by bed bugs. It was a hell of a day.

We specifically booked this hotel because we were trying to avoid the dirty conditions in the lower class motel. We travel many times a year and have lived in different motels/hotels much cheaper and of lower class than Howard Johnson, but none of them have ever given any of us bed bugs at all. This is unacceptable for a hotel that advertises themselves to be better than that. We know for sure now that we will not dare step into another Howard Johnson, not to mention sleep there. My daughter's friends and our doctors share the same sentiments too. They need to seriously improve their sanitary standards.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Techjason16
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel Friday and Saturday night, scheduled to leave Sunday morning. The first night I left my dog in the room while I ran to the store, I came back and my door was open. Thank God my dog was still in the room. I thought at first maybe I didn't close the door all the way and thought nothing more of it. The second night (Saturday) right before I was getting ready to leave for a family occasion I took my dog for a walk and I see about 7 kids oldest maybe 15, youngest probably 5. The oldest was cursing and saying she was going to stab an old lady, the yougest was running around naked. AND THIS ISN'T EVEN THE WORST PART! A man on the second floor was outside playing with himself and trying to pick up the 15y/o girl!! I am a single female and didn't want to call the cops and get in the middle of this so I immediately called the front desk and told them my situation and I felt unsafe calling the cops because I was staying there alone. The guy at the front desk said he would send someone out to check on it and then asked me my room number. Not thinking much into it I told him what room I was in. Thirty minutes or so later I felt extremely unsettled for not calling the cops so I called the front desk to see what measures they took in resolving the situation. His response "I told my manager, OH..do you have a black dog? Because he got out". So not only did they do NOTHING about the situation all of the sudden my dog is out of the room? He transfered me to the lady who found my dog, I asked her to check if my room door was still open because the doors do not shut unless you pull them shut. She confirmed my door was shut and locked AND said the past two nights when she arrived back at her room her door was open!. When I arrived at the hotel (15mins later) MY DOOR WAS OPEN!! I called the cops and notified them of the entire situation and filed a police report on the man who was fondling himself in front of children. The police told me this is the most unsafe place you could stay and they would NOT recommend that ANYONE stay at this hotel. Most of the people who room at the hotel live there and cause nothing but problems. It's been almost a week and I am in the middle of a complaint with their corporate office, who I have YET to hear back from. This place is NOT safe and I wouldn't recommend that ANYONE for ANY reason stay here!!

Room Tip: Want a good room? Go to the Fairfield in Deptford!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank MarieAshley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackwood
Hampton Inn Turnersville (Philadelphia Area)
Best Western Monroe Inn & Suites
Fairfield Inn Deptford
Fairfield Inn Deptford
#1 of 3 in Deptford
Howard Johnson Express Inn Bellmawr/Philadelphia Area
Wingate by Wyndham Voorhees Mt. Laurel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Runnemede - Philadelphia

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Blackwood? Share your experiences!