“Amazing Place to Stay!”

The Inn At The Shore
Ranked #3 of 7 Belmar B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had such a wonderful experience staying with a friend in this lovely inn, which is owned by the nicest most accommodating couple. They make your time at the beach effortless by including beach passes, chairs, umbrellas, towels, etc in the fare. You will feel like you landed upon a gem when you arrive at the inn because the grounds are so well kept, it is in a perfect location (very short walk to the beach), the rooms and bathrooms are spotless, and the staff is extremely friendly. We didn't know much about the area, and asked for some restaurant recommendations, and were referred by the staff to a couple great spots in Belmar. Right up the street is this amazing restaurant called Klein's Waterside Cafe. Also, the inn is located near a really nice Italian restaurant, and it is so easy to walk to tons of other options from there. I have stayed in numerous other hotels around the Jersey Shore, and none of them compare to this one! Overall, we had an excellent experience, and I would definitely recommend this inn over any other place in the Belmar area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CatStone

Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I returned to the Inn at the Shore for a second year and an extended stay. Tom and Rosemary are more than just innkeepers...they are truly great hosts who go out of their way to ensure the comfort of their guests. The rooms are immaculate, the breakfasts are fit for a king, and the atmosphere is relaxing. Its location is convenient to the beach and great restaurants. But most of all, a stay here has become our home away from home. Last weekend we had friends join us there from Louisiana, Florida, and Arizona..and we have all already reserved our rooms for next year!!! 5 Stars in every category for the Inn at the Shore!!!

Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have just returned from a 5 day stay at The Inn at The Shore. It was wonderful! I was in Belmar for a class reunion and many of my classmates stayed there also. the Inn was clean comfortable and innkeepers Tom and Rosemary do everything possible to make you feel at home. The wrap around porch was a great gathering place. Just 2 blocks from the beach, but the neighborhood is quiet and centrally located to beach and town.Everything for a fun stay is provided....games, towels, beach chairs and a wonderful home cooked breakfast. Tom and Rosemary's baking and coffee aroma was awfully nice to wake up to. This is our 2nd stay at the Inn and I am sure there will be many to follow. A wonderful place to stay and we were fortunate to make some new friends in Tom and Rosemary!!!!! 5 stars all the way!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This past weekend broke many record highs across the country and though I don't know if that was also true for Belmar, the days and nights were certainly very hot. The Inn at the Shore was pleasantly cool and my room had its own window air conditioner which the Innkeepers had thoughtfully already turned on in expectation of my arrival. After an afternoon at the beach (a beach pass comes with your room ~ plus there are chairs, bikes, etc for you to borrow) the wrap-around porch was shady and a lovely place to wind down. There's plenty of books and games to enjoy. Even though the beach nightlife continues a few blocks away, the Inn's neighborhood is quiet and peaceful. I had a room with a shared bath which worked out fine ~ there was always one 'open' and my room had its own sink. I slept well and woke up to Tom & Rosemary's homemade breakfast. Plenty of choices: homemade muffins, granola w/ the works, lots of fruit, a sausage breakfast casserole, etc, etc. If you need anything or have any questions, the Innkeepers are easy to reach and very willing and helpful to talk to. It was a great get-a-way weekend and I look forward to a sooner than later return!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I had a nice week and a half off from work. I spent the first half with my son locally at home. Attending some school events, bumming around and working out.

The following week I took four days and went with my wife to this lovely inn at Belmar called The Inn at the shore. I'd been to Belmar once before and I remember finding it very peaceful and relaxing. Seeing as though this is what me and my wife were looking for, we decided to take a trip out here. I have never watched the stupid show "the jersey shore", but thankfully this inn and the neighborhood is far removed from the stupidity that the show seems to promote.

The house is lovely, built in the 1800's it's definitely old, but I loved it. It has a large wrap around porch where you and yours can sit and enjoy the lovely birds singing, or perhaps a competitive game of battleship like we did. Yes my wife won, even though it was her first time playing. Make sure to use some "off" mosquito repellent because the mosquitoes apparently enjoy the birds song as well! The innkeepers provided us some complimentary "off" to use.

Speaking of the innkeepers, Tom and Rosemary Volker are some of the kindest folks you could ever wish to meet. From the moment we arrived, they greeted us by name, before we had reached the porch or even checked in! "You must be Angel and Christine right", said Tom upon seeing us walking towards his property.

They greeted us and proceeded to show us to our room, provided our keys and gave us a brief tour of the house. When you walk in you feel immediately transported to a different time, rustic furniture, lovely family pictures, board games, and even some VHS tapes can be seen as you take in the house's internal makings. For those of you that don't know what a VHS tape is, it's what goes in a VCR. Old school baby.

We stood at the Courtney Rose room, it's small and cozy, great for a lover's getaway. There is a full size bed in the room, and though adequate, I must say for me and my wife it was a bit small. Probably due more to the fact that I'm not a very small person, though my wife is. Sleeping there was a bit uncomfortable for both of us. Next time we'll get a room with a bigger bed.

There is an air conditioner in the room. That is nice as you can then set the room temperature that you are comfortable with. The small sink sits inside the bedroom itself and there is a private bathroom. Most rooms share a bathroom and we are not fans of that type of sharing so we took the private bathroom option, downside being the smaller bed.

There is a lot of greenery outside the house, so naturally mosquitoes will bum around. Before going to sleep the first night we saw a bunch of mosquitoes camping out on the ceiling, presumably waiting for us to go sleep to attack! No sir, y'all ain't gonna get us! I grabbed my flip flops, climbed on the bed and went to town on all those damn mosquitoes! By the end of my slaughter I must have killed about 10 mosquitoes. Any survivors must have told their friends that the gig was up, because after my first massacre, mosquitoes were no more to be found in the room.

The bathroom is a decent size, toilet is an ok size, small but capable of handling my heavy duty booty! The shower is also somewhat small but met our needs just fine, it's one of those cool raised claw bathtubs or whatnot.

Breakfast was alright, nothing too fancy, but seemed homemade. For someone like me who is in training, I wasn't too concerned with getting a massive heavy breakfast, the Mrs did point out that it was rather limited in quantity and options. My guess regarding this is that for the first few days we were the only ones there, so they probably saw no point in wasting a lot food making huge elaborate meals that would end up going to waste. That's fair from my point of view, we were both satisfied, I think we just expected a bit more as the last inn we went to provided a humongous breakfast.

Orange juice, scrambled eggs, some sausages and a few pieces of fruit are just fine by me. Tom makes this special granola mix, his own recipe, my wife loved it! If you go make sure you give it a try, its pretty good.

There is a also small pantry where you can store your food items and the inn provides refreshments in the fridge for your consumption. I definitely drank some of that sprite.

While there we tried a few restaurants, each that will have it's own review. We also took out the Inn's bikes for a nice spin around the neighborhood, bike riding out there was a lot of fun. The Inn also provided us with complimentary admission to the "Atlantic fitness club" for a day. Wait till you hear about that place, AMAZING!

Staying at the inn also entitles you to use their beach passes which are required for admission to the beach. Though we didn't spend much time there as it was a bit chilly during our stay.

Pretty much all you need is provided for you here. I saw some reviews with people complaining about the pictures, teddy bears, and quiet area, to those people I'll say this: IT'S A BED AND BREAKFAST, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT TO FIND? "THE SITUATION" STAYS ELSEWHERE SO GO AWAY AND STOP BAD MOUTHING THESE LOVELY PEOPLE!

I recommend this place for a nice peaceful getaway. It's just what the doctor ordered. If you are looking for what you see on the "jersey shore" television show, this town, this area, is not the place for you.

Room Tip: If you want a private bath, make sure you check the size of the bed. I think I read wrong and ended...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angel R
the inn at the shore, Owner at The Inn At The Shore, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Thanks for the wonderful review and even for mentioning the mosquitos. I checked the room and found a hole in one of the screens and patched it.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have been staying here for over two years and find this a pleasant and productive alternative to hotels. Being two blocks from the beach affords relaxing ocean walks or boardwalk runs; access to high class fitness center a few miles away...I take my wife and kids here for a few days in the summer and use the provided bikes...the owners are so hospitable and go beyond helpful

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Rosemary and Tom went out of their way to accommodate my daughter and me during our stay at the Inn at the Shore! We visited off-season. Even then, they asked about our breakfast preferences. They served a full hot and cold breakfast buffet and we dined beside a large aquarium! What a way to start each day... They also offered information about the local hot spots and provided access to complimentary guest beach towels for the duration of our stay... and the beach was only a short walk away, down a pretty street. The Inn at the Shore has a lot of charm with many knick-knacks and personal family touches to give it a homey feel. The rooms are even named after family members. Board games are available for the guests to use in the common living room. Rosemary and Tom go out of their way to make you feel welcome. They make it very clear that they want YOU to be able to relax and enjoy YOUR vacation!

Room Tip: The Inn at the Shore is located on the corner of two streets, so different rooms will offer differen...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Mayfair Hotel
Grand Victorian at Spring Lake
Tandem Bike Inn
Tandem Bike Inn
#2 of 7 in Belmar

Been to The Inn At The Shore? Share your experiences!