“I Wanted to Like Kaya's MORE”
Review of Kaya's Kitchen

Kaya's Kitchen
Ranked #14 of 106 Restaurants in Belmar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
asbury park, new jersey
“I Wanted to Like Kaya's MORE”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I really, really wanted to like Kaya's more than we did. My husband and I had stopped by a couple years ago on a Sunday and the buffet looked sparse and not appetizing so we didn't go back. But, it was time to try again. We went on a Friday night and the place was packed. My husband and I had the appetizer selection which included bbq seitan, chixn nuggets and a spicy wing type. The spicy was far too spicy for me, but my husband liked it. He also liked the nuggets, but I found the texture to be mushy. The bbq was my favorite with a slightly spicy/sweet sauce. For the entree, I ordered the tempeh ruben and it just wasn't good. It was served on a hard multi-grain roll instead of a Rye bread and the tempeh was off. I am comparing it to Good Karma cafe's Ruben which is AMAZING and my own at home which is pretty good. I had one bite and left it. My husband, on the other hand, had the steak sandwich which was also served on the funky roll, but it was really delicious. The french fries were also wonderful. They seemed hand cut. Also, our appetizer came with potato salad which was great. It had lots of herbs and interesting things added. It was a big hit. For dessert, we shared the "pancake" cupcake. It was a vanilla cupcake with a strawberry preserve on top of maple flavored icing. It wasn't half bad. However, the cupcake was served COLD directly from the fridge and it tasted dry. I only ate the icing, so I found it disappointing. The service was friendly and efficient and there are a ton of choices on the menu. We may go back to try something else. The restaurant is also BYOB which is nice. However, if we want really amazing vegetarian food, we'll head north to Red Bank and go to Good Karma Cafe. Its a smaller restaurant, but the vibe is better and the food is incredible.

• Visited September 2012

Point Pleasant, New Jersey
“Great food, lousy service”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I love Kaya's. I have been going since they were in the old spot. Food is always consistent and excellent. The service has been good on some days, fair on others and the worst today! It is usually either a hit or miss and today was an absolute miss!
I sat down first with my daughter, my girlfriend arrived 5 minutes later and she did not even look at the menu when the server asked if we were ready to order! It just gets better...we were still working on our appetizer and our meals came out. I had to ask for our table to be cleared of small plates and all the other associated stuff while dining with my two year old. At one point, I was ready to track our server down because she was nowhere to be found.
PS. On a 100 degree day, the air was either not working properly or they had it turned down. We were melting in there. It felt like it was between 80-85. When I walked in, I distinctly remembered the last time I was in there on a hot day and how it also felt like 80-85....hmmm.
Please do something about your service, because you got the vegetarian/vegan food thing down!
Next time,I am getting take out.

Lafayette, Louisiana
“Bad Service, Poor Buffet Selection”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I was really looking forward to eating here - I had read the menu and was really excited by what I saw! Unfortunately, the menu did not mention that on Sunday, there is only a buffet. Normally that wouldn't be an issue, but the selection of food was very, very limited, and the trays kept running out. When the food ran out, it took forever for them to be refilled.

It was also impossible to get service - we were seated, but it took about ten minutes for us to get place settings. Server also never offered us drinks. The place was not very busy - there were two other tables eating besides ours.

For the price of the buffet - $23.00/ person, it was really a poor experience. I'm sad about that, too, because I was really looking forward to eating here! I wanted to love it, I really did, but service was so poor and food was so... difficult to find that I just can't see myself going back.

Don't go on a Sunday!

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Trompetista89
South Jersey
“wow! This is how vegetarian should be done!!”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We ate at Kaya's last night and were pleasantly surprised by this place. It was very warm and welcoming. The servers were polite and friendly and seemed knowledgeable about the menu, (which is extensive). It really was a delight to have soo many vegan as well as vegetarian choices. My fiance and I are vegetarian and are pretty familiar with the usual selections at restaurants but were wowed by the taste and quality of these dishes. We shared a Kaya's salad with avocado, delicious and super fresh tasting with a great balsamic dressing. I had the Medeterranian sampler: hummus, eggplant dip, greens, and some of the best falafel I have ever eaten with warm pita. He had a Kaya's sampler... :)... delicious!!! buffalo style "chicken", "ribs", and "veggie bites" with dipping sauces and a great potato salad... very generous portions, great service and excellent quality food. Not expensive considering it is the Jersey Shore and as anyone knows... healthy food is always more expensive.. I can't wait to go back! The pizza looked fantastic !!!

• Visited April 2012
New York City, New York
“Relieved to find excellent vegan food outside of NYC”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This place is cozy and hidden away. Large portions and too delicious. If you peruse their menu, you will agree that it difficult to make only one choice.

• Visited February 2012