“Back to Brandl, for the Umpteenth Time”
Review of Brandl

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th Avenue & Main Street
Transit: Train (Belmar)
Reviewed October 2, 2014

Whenever we visit our friends in Spring Lake, "down The Shore," a dinner at Brandl is always in order. We've been following this ritual so long that I can't recall when it started. It may be as long as 15 years, if they've been open that long! Brandl catered their son's rehearsal dinner and that was 15 years ago, so that may be the case. Anyhow, after all of these years, they never disappoint. Last night's meal was no exception.

I ordered two specials that were not on the menu, seared foie gras, which was sublime, and braised wild boar, which was served with shiitake mushrooms and gnocchi and was equally so. Others ordered off the menu, house salads and soup, along with grouper, tuna, and short ribs. All were delicious and perfectly prepared. We also shared two sides, roasted Brussels sprouts, which were coated with a pomegranate molasses and spicy Tuscan cauliflower. Again both were completely devoured.

Two desserts, shared by four, rounded out the meal: warm apple tart and bread pudding. Both plates were finished off with gusto. And, by the way, it's BYOB at Brandl. Do yourself a favor and go!

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank TheLiterateChef

Reviewed September 29, 2014

We went there on a Sunday night out of season and the restaurant was essentially empty. I had the mahi and it was OK. My wife and sister in law both had the gnocchi and they enjoyed it. My brother in law had the crabcake and rated it average. It's a BYOB, common in NJ and of course that's an advantage. Like so many BYOBs there, they hike up the prices to offset the less expensive wine. The overall dining experience for average. We had a very interesting server who grew up in Colombia and worked in NYC for many years. Some great stories ensued and that was the highlight of the evening.

Date of visit: September 2014
1  Thank ThomasP682
Reviewed September 25, 2014

I had the Lamb chops, and they were the best I've ever had! Also tried the beet salad, so wonderful! I can't wait to come back to New Jersey so I can come back to Brandl!

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed September 3, 2014

Was very excited to go on reading the reviews. First clue should have been when the couple seating next to us was telling the waiter that "everything was terrible." Food was over priced and tasteless. Lobster bisque was served luke warm, lazy lobster was also warm and slightly rubbery. My husband got the grouper special which he said was ok but not worth the $38.00. Service was terrible waiter never stopped to see how everything was, refill on the water was never offered. I will say the crab cake appetizer was good but not worth $140.00 with no drinks and no deserts. There are way too many excellent restaurants at the shore to ever go back to this place, which we will never do.

Date of visit: August 2014
2  Thank JudyDF
Reviewed September 2, 2014

loved the special lobster roll for $25 with 2 sides on tuesdays, It's a BYO and between the train station and main street. Is part of open table as well. Met family there and a good time was had by all

Date of visit: August 2014