“A Bit Disappointing”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th Avenue & Main Street
Transit: Train (Belmar)
Reviewed September 29, 2014

We went there on a Sunday night out of season and the restaurant was essentially empty. I had the mahi and it was OK. My wife and sister in law both had the gnocchi and they enjoyed it. My brother in law had the crabcake and rated it average. It's a BYOB, common in NJ and of course that's an advantage. Like so many BYOBs there, they hike up the prices to offset the less expensive wine. The overall dining experience for average. We had a very interesting server who grew up in Colombia and worked in NYC for many years. Some great stories ensued and that was the highlight of the evening.

Date of visit: September 2014
1  Thank ThomasP682

Reviewed September 25, 2014

I had the Lamb chops, and they were the best I've ever had! Also tried the beet salad, so wonderful! I can't wait to come back to New Jersey so I can come back to Brandl!

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed September 3, 2014

Was very excited to go on reading the reviews. First clue should have been when the couple seating next to us was telling the waiter that "everything was terrible." Food was over priced and tasteless. Lobster bisque was served luke warm, lazy lobster was also warm and slightly rubbery. My husband got the grouper special which he said was ok but not worth the $38.00. Service was terrible waiter never stopped to see how everything was, refill on the water was never offered. I will say the crab cake appetizer was good but not worth $140.00 with no drinks and no deserts. There are way too many excellent restaurants at the shore to ever go back to this place, which we will never do.

2  Thank JudyDF
Reviewed September 2, 2014

loved the special lobster roll for $25 with 2 sides on tuesdays, It's a BYO and between the train station and main street. Is part of open table as well. Met family there and a good time was had by all

Reviewed August 24, 2014

We tried Brandl several years ago with mixed reviews, and our friends from the area said it had been remodeled and the food was good, so we tried it and they were right....new décor with interesting use of old waterfront oversized gas street lamps that were salvaged from Hurricane Sandy. Now 8 of the double lamps hang from the ceiling among some tropical fans, and it really adds to the atmosphere, along with the oversized lobster and crab artwork. Nice cozy lighting. Great bread to start, which went especially well with the traditionally prepared in-the-shell escargot I ordered. The Thai-Styled Shrimp with Black Forbidden rice was excellent. Someone at the table liked the Lazy Lobster. Also enjoyed the "Crazy Corn" taken off the cob and sautéed with some spices. The Sous Vide Lamp Chops didn't quite work. Difficult to really get some good meat bites out of, and tough to cut. Colorado lamb, but would have preferred them grilled we thought. Nice try, but sous vide is difficult to pull off on lamb. Friendly efficient service. They also have ample alfresco dining on a plaza where there was some music....a lot better than the typical what I call "NJ Alfresco" which is stick a few tables next to a parking lot and call it alfresco....this one actually has some nice surroundings. So we will return, and this place has really taken it up a notch above most of the other shore offerings in the area.

1  Thank Conseiller99