“Ragin Cajun at the Jersey Shore”
Review of Ragin' Cajun

Ragin' Cajun
Ranked #6 of 119 Restaurants in Belmar
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Great food at a great price. Perfect little place after a day at the beach or a nice little dinner for a couples night out. Start off with delicious gator bites as a starter then get ready for some Creole or Jambalaya.

1  Thank yotafan

Reviewed July 20, 2009

How spicy do you want it? That's what the waitress asked when I ordered the Snapper Creole ( a special that night). I asked for an 8...and I got an 8!
We'd heard about this place for about a year, and visit Belmar almost every weekend in the summer but never stay overnight. The thought of going to dinner in sandy bathing suits doesn't appeal to us so it had to wait till we took a room for the night. It was worth the wait.
While you are waiting you'll be served an herb roasted garlic bulb, halved, accompanied by dinner rolls. The garlic is inspired, although slightly undercooked. The rolls are a shame, however. The don't deserve to be on the same table with that garlic.
I had the alligator sausage which comes with a mustardy remoulade sauce. The sausage has a nice kick but nothing too aggressive. My boyfriend had the barbecued shrimp. If you are unfamiliar with Louisiana bbq shrimp, bbq sauce has nothing to do with it. It's a blend of butter, lemon, garlic, and other seasonings that create a spicy pool for the shrimp (6) to languish in. You have to peel the shrimp but that just creates fingers that insist on being licked.
For dinner I had the snapper creole a special. Ordered with as much heat as I desired, it was bursting with heat in addition to flavour that lingered even through the heat. Ask for a 5 if you want zip without the zap. It was easily a 5oz snapper, over rice, with peppers, onions and celery (the trinity) in a tomato stew. Magnificent flavour. My boyfriend had the seafood jambalaya (another special). The jambalaya doesn't give you a heat index option. It's lively, to put it midlly....and there was little mild about it. Don't let that scare you, though..through its warmth you could taste the lime (which I don't usually associate with jambalaya, but it was a nice addition). The seafood was easily a dozen mussels, 4 shrimp, 4 scallops in addition to the andouille sausage.
No room for dessert, unfortunately..the night was still young and we were headed to Point Pleasant for waffles and ice cream.
It's a BYOB and a nice zinfandel goes very well with cajun cuisine.

Reviewed August 4, 2008

I reside within ten minutes of the Jersey Shore and also cook my own cajun/creole food. I have been wanting to try Rajun Cajun for some time now. We went there this past Friday night for dinner around 9 PM. The patio was crowded but table were available inside. Number one, if you have a room with 4 tables and three of them are unoccupied, DO not sit people at the table by the bathroom! There was no lighting in the dining room making it very difficult to read the menu. While there were candles on the tables non of them were lit. We had to wait about 15 minutes for a basket of bread. Our meals which were pretty basic took about an hour to reach us and the food was sadly nonething special.
Our waitress never returned to give us our bill, as a matter of fact the other waitress actually appologized to us when she came by to ask us if there was anything else we needed. When we left we saw her out on the patio visiting with what looked like friends of hers. My husband eat out alot and we love to try new places. I was truly looking foward to having cajun food without having to drive to New Brunswick, and was very disappointed.

2  Thank cfisch
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Jaime M. with another review on Ragin. I finally started my family eating at Ragin several years ago after rave reviews from my clients. Last year my son started college in Virginia, last night he came home for spring break and we are going to celebrate his birthday tonight. When I asked him where he wanted to go? You guessed it he said Ragin Cajun, he has been waiting to go since the fall of 07. Food is still great, music is good when it's there. You gotta try it if you like spice in your food.
Jaime M.

Reviewed July 13, 2006

If you are looking for great food, and a fun time this is the place to go. It is so laid back that you feel more at home then in your own living room. Go eat and enjoy the music while you laugh along with the owner and her help. What a great group of people.

1  Thank Camper34470