“Authentic Cajun & Creole Food in New Jersey!”
Review of Ragin' Cajun

Ragin' Cajun
Ranked #7 of 109 Restaurants in Belmar
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am a lover of cajun & creole food. I have visited Louisiana, both New Orleans & Cajun country, many times. I have been searching for an authentic Cajun/Creole restaurant in the tri-state area for a long time now. Little did I know there was a great place in my own backyard! Ragin' Cajun is quaint, has FABULOUS food, huge potions, great service & is very reasonably priced! Truly authentic Cajun/Creole cuisine! Get there early & BYOB, the restaurant is quite small, as it is in a house, and they do not take reservations.

There are newer reviews for Ragin' Cajun

Reviewed January 26, 2013

It's interesting to read about complaints about free parking, tables not always level and no waiting room. It's about the FOOD!!!! We (and many other friends) are fans of this restaurant. The service and food are always excellent. That is why we have been going back year after year after year. Come on down!

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We sat in the front room which as the other reviewers state- is as cold as it seems with an artic blast of winter cold everytime the door is opened. The service was good- she was attentive and pleasant. The food itself was a bit disappointing. I expected etoufee to taste more authentic- maybe not enough bay seasoning or the abundance of veggie to make up for lack of shrimp and scallop. The lobster bisque was okay as well. Nothing extraordinary. It had the taste of allspice or nutmeg which was interesting. The jumbo grilled shrimp was good. The veggies(asparagus) was crisp and well cooked. The interior decor overall could use a good cleaning. All and all we wont be going back.

3  Thank njscorpio
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I came with groupon to try the food. We were welcomed warmly even with the groupon and seated straightaway this friday night (not always true in some places). Hurricane Sandy had been, and by the time we came in January there was no effect of the hurricane evident within the restaurant. Parking on a side street meant we were very cold by the time we got to the door. The bad news was that a blast of cold air came through with each subsequent arriving patron. The food is very good indeed. However, if you are seeking authentic creole cooking it does come well short of this standard: For instance, gumbo is not made with okra, as the chef apparently does not like the flavor this provides. Now realistically I have tried cajun food outside of New Orleans in several places and it is never as good as in NO. My alligator appetizer was OK,; while my wife's sirloin tips as appetizer were outstanding. I would not go for the alligator again (Patou's alligator in NO still lives fresh in my mind even a decade later). Both our entrees, her chicken pasta dish and my jambalaya were very good. Again do not expect the jambalaya to be authentic creole cooking! Service was quick, friendly and efficient. Clearly a local favorite as many regulars arrived and were greeted. The restaurant represents good tasty food in a cajun style, but with options if you wish to try something else. It therefore is a delicate balance in the kitchen to achieve tasty food within the chefs own 'cajun' style cooking. But for the alligator my wife and I felt this was achieved.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I purchased a Groupon and it was about to expire, so we had to make the trip to Ragin Cajun. When we arrived at about 6pm on a recent Saturday evening, we were surprised to find no indoor waiting room and that there would be a 30 minute wait and no shelter to shield us from the wintry weather. No heatlamp outside either... what were we to do? Stand on the porch and freeze while waiting for our table. My husband and I were not happy. But, alas, the groupon was expiring soon, so we waited. When finally seated, we were lucky enough to not have to sit near the front door. It kept being opened and closed by customers waiting to be seated. Some were confused by a lack of waiting area and chose to stand over eating customers who were unfortunate enough to be seated near the door. Others kept the door open, letting out the precious warm air that paying customers were trying to enjoy.
Our soups took 40 minutes to arrive. Their version of French Onion Soup was GREAT... Lobster Bisque... nothing special, basically a waste of money and room in my husband's belly. Our entrees were average. He got the over priced chicken and shrimp etouffee; good, but nothing to write home about. I got a pasta with sundried tomatoes and garlic, which was very nice. I could not eat too much because I finished the onion soup and devoured too much bread and garlic while waiting for our soup to arrive. Overall, not worth the trip. I should have listened to my husband when he suggested going to 10th Ave Burrito.
Do not buy groupon... at least unless the weather is nice enough to wait outside and you bring a bottle of wine to pass the "wait time."

3  Thank Tamara C