“No waiting room = No fun :(”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ragin' Cajun

Ragin' Cajun
Ranked #6 of 103 Restaurants in Belmar
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“No waiting room = No fun :(”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I purchased a Groupon and it was about to expire, so we had to make the trip to Ragin Cajun. When we arrived at about 6pm on a recent Saturday evening, we were surprised to find no indoor waiting room and that there would be a 30 minute wait and no shelter to shield us from the wintry weather. No heatlamp outside either... what were we to do? Stand on the porch and freeze while waiting for our table. My husband and I were not happy. But, alas, the groupon was expiring soon, so we waited. When finally seated, we were lucky enough to not have to sit near the front door. It kept being opened and closed by customers waiting to be seated. Some were confused by a lack of waiting area and chose to stand over eating customers who were unfortunate enough to be seated near the door. Others kept the door open, letting out the precious warm air that paying customers were trying to enjoy.
Our soups took 40 minutes to arrive. Their version of French Onion Soup was GREAT... Lobster Bisque... nothing special, basically a waste of money and room in my husband's belly. Our entrees were average. He got the over priced chicken and shrimp etouffee; good, but nothing to write home about. I got a pasta with sundried tomatoes and garlic, which was very nice. I could not eat too much because I finished the onion soup and devoured too much bread and garlic while waiting for our soup to arrive. Overall, not worth the trip. I should have listened to my husband when he suggested going to 10th Ave Burrito.
Do not buy groupon... at least unless the weather is nice enough to wait outside and you bring a bottle of wine to pass the "wait time."

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Tamara C

“Great concept, needs work”
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We had wanted to try this place and finding a groupon made us less nervous! First, the place is very small, though it has charm. On this night it was very busy and there was no where to wait for a table. We finally sat down and ordered right away. The table next to us sat at the same time and they had apps and their meals before we got our gumbo. The next disappointment was that they failed to put the sausage in the gumbo as requested. Then came the meals. The server told us the catfish came with broccoli but when it came out it had asparagus. The server simply said they ran out. The catfish was very good. I ordered the Creole dish and the entree was just hot. It lacked any other flavor and was very disappointing. I should note, I love spicy foods but this just overpowered any other potential seasonings. Finally, we got our bill and we were pretty shocked by the gumbo prices.. 7.95 for chicken and $11 for the seafood one (although my husband said it was good).

2 Thank nwrightnj
Eatontown, New Jersey
“Disappointing at best”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Went with great expectations from recommendations, but the food and dining room were terrible! (Great music by the Royales though.) The place is small and unkempt. Door opens directly into dining room, freezing diners. Very crowded with people waiting for tables, invading diners' space. Food was poorly done. Etouffe was a tomato-like soup with uncooked vegetables. Creole had chemical taste. Both sauces seemed straight out of some commercial jar with rice floating in them. Shrimp in both dishes were not deveined. Awful!

4 Thank Gail H
“Feels like family :)”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

GREAT attentive service. FRIENDLY atmosphere. I'm talking, feels like family atmosphere. As if going to an old friend's home for an outrageously great meal. Quirky, quaint, awesome. Food left nothing to be desired, ate and savored every bite of appetizer, dinner, and dessert. Live groovin music. A fantastic time.

wall nj
“pretty good”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

first time there. my son and I had the jambalaya, one of their signature dishes. It was 80% rice. Only about 3 small pieces of chicken and 4 or 5 small shrimp. There were almost no vegetables mixed in. Never had such a "weakly" (cheaply) made jambalaya. i was disappointed.
my wife's tuna was great, my daughter's dish was also good and plentiful.

• Visited January 2013