“bed bugs”

Ranked #7 of 7 Belmar B&B and Inns
KEARNY, NJ
“bed bugs”
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The hotel is simple and the price is low.
No breakfast and people are not friendly.
No parking, got to park on the street.
Our friends stayed for one night and they got bit by bed bugs.
They got home and still had bed bugs.
I e-mailed the appt desk and still didn't get an answer.
The room my friends stayed is 309.
there's another hotel on 12th st, that's where we are going to stay the next time.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank BEDBUGHATTER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
pa
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I would like to start out by saying I really enjoyed our time in Belmar. Very nice beach, good eating establishments ect.. but one has to wonder how the town of Belmar i.e the local powers to be, could allow this so called inn to exist. nothing short of a black eye to not only the community, but to the entire (jersey shore) experience. Creepy, filthy, rundown, shady, poorly renovated... and thats all before you enter your room. Outside of that, the Inn does have a certain baltic organized crime charm to it... yeah. on to the room. The bed was scary worn down, and well, gave me a feeling it was just picked up off a curb the day before, and ownership slapped sheets on it from a room that was used the night before. The "pull - out" couch? It was a love seat,... and the under belly (springs) -jury rigged. It was so worn that it was actually unusable. A cat would have had a bad night sleep on it, let alone a human. The carpet in the room should have been replaced 5 years ago and skived us all out. We were skitzed out to even lay our clothing on it. The bathroom looked as if a 12 year old had built it, and it basically resembled a formica outhouse, but indoors. - no cups, a bar of soap about the size of a vannila waffer and just out of hand gross. No exhaust fan, a door that didnt shut.. oh but this joint has central air... only problem, around midnight they turn it off. - completly, you have 0 temperature control. but thats not a big deal because in just a couple of hours the 20 somethings are about to arrive back to there rooms completely loaded and very loud. You're hot and barely sleeping anyway.. so actual rest is out of the question. As far as the "staff" - right.. i have already contacted my bank and processed a new credit card. I wouldnt trust anyone that resided or worked there as far as i could throw them. Now keep in mind, with all this said... this review is coming from a person who has "ruffed" it over the years. experienced the "shore" since childhood and all the post 21 yr old summers down the shore. I'm no highbrow. but i do appreciate some finer things and certainly expect the basics (cleaniness, for one). and that was before i had children. Do not under any circumstances make the mistake we did and book a room in this "inn" - it not only should be condemed, but investigated. Maybe a local council person or say a NJ state trooper should spend a night there. - just saying.. - The one thing you can never say... you weren't warned.

1 Thank seaweedrich

Travelers are raving about these Belmar hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Location is the only reason this place survives. If there were a cardboard box next door i would've stayed in that. Seriously, the place was very dirty and the a/c didn't work on one of the hottest/humid days of the year. Rooms were small and uncomfortable. This place was recommended in a wedding invitation for after the event. If i had not been drinking at the event I would have just went home.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ff116
New City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We checked in to the room and decided to relax for about an hour before going out for the night. Once we were out, my friend and I were both itching, but not sure why. We got back to the room a little after 3 am. After being in the room for a few minutes, we saw there were bed bugs crawling on both beds, under the pillows, the floor - it was DISGUSTING. We immediately grabbed our things and left the room. At the front desk, the guy first acted as if he had no idea what we were talking about. We finally got him to go to the room and see for himself. He confirmed the bed bugs. I took a few videos with my cell phone. They were absolutely disgusting and the bed bugs were everywhere.

Seriously, DO NOT take the chance of staying here. Now I'm worried that we brought some of these bugs home - which we are keeping a close eye on because the exterminator will cost us quite a bit to come out. We have bite marks on our legs from when we were first in the room "relaxing".

Stay as far away from this place as you can. No amount of money or convenience of location is worth staying here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Giovanna P
PA
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Although the Inn is a half block from the beach, I would have gladly stayed miles away and driven instead of staying here. My friends and I stayed only one night (thank goodness) for a bachelorette party. Even though we requested to have two adjoining rooms or rooms close together, upon check-in we were taken to rooms at two separate ends sides of the hotel. Our room had hairs on the pillow cases and was obviously unvacuumed. It was also extremely hot. We went to the front desk to complain, because we had just checked in after being on the beach all day - we were told that they turned on the central air because apparently it wasn't on or up very high (and at 430pm I can't imagine why a hotel wouldn't have the AC on). We noticed that one of our vents was almost rusted shut so we asked sometime to come up yet again. A man came up didn't say a word, not hello, have a good stay, you're welcome - nothing (and very creepy I might add), stood on the dresser, pried it open and left. After our complaint about the AC and hairs and dirtiness, the woman from the front desk came up and told us that she spoke with the general manager who would give us our money back if we wanted to leave, but what could we expect, it is a very old Inn. What I expect is have a CLEAN and sanitary over-night stay for $200 a night! What I expect is that you bend over backwards to please or accommodate a customer! What I expect is to not have gum and mold all over the extremely tiny shower so that I actually feel comfortable rotating in a circle to clean myself! What I expect is to have functioning air conditioning!

It was my first time to Belmar and although we had a nice time outside of the hotel, I would never EVER advise someone, especially a family to stay here. Thankfully I always travel with my own pillows and blanket, if I didn't I would have taken them up on the offer of leaving.

There is no possible way for a family to stay comfortably at this place. Also it is not nearly as nice as the staged pictures make it seem. There is no dining room - only a vast empty space in what probably used to be a beautiful dining area in its day. I honestly felt like I was in the Shining.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank jlinn7
NJ
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I chose to stay at Belmar Inn with my husband and 4 teenage girls. Upon arrival I had the eerie feeling that I was walking into a hostel. The person running the front desk was very confused and had no knowledge of how to check us in. When we went to our rooms the first thing I noticed was the windows wide open and the room was ridiculously ice cold. I asked for the temperature to be adjusted as you cannot do this within your room. It made no difference, we froze all night. The bathroom sink had a foul smell coming from the drain. The shower was dirty as well as various other places within the room. The bed linen was stained with what looked like blood and other yellow spots. The headboard had dried nasal mucus on it in three obvious spots which tells me the rooms are not cleaned well daily. At night we left the windows open to let some warmer air in and let some of the icy air out, the downside to this was that everyone, including the strange employees sat out on the front porch and steps and smoked. The smoke then made it's way into our rooms which was not pleasant. For the 2 nights that I spent there, my stomach was queasy...the place just grossed me out. I would not recommend this place to anyone. Next year we are staying at a B&B.

North of NYC
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Filthy room - sheets were stained, bathroom falling apart. Walls spackled but not painted over well everywhere. Lobby had almost no furniture just a broken piano on a stage... Sofa bed was open but had no top sheet til we asked. The whole thing felt surreal, like some weird episode of Twin Peaks. The people were nice but the overall feel was that this hotel should be condemned or redone completely.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#2 of 5 in Wall Township
Tandem Bike Inn
Tandem Bike Inn
#2 of 7 in Belmar

Been to Belmar Inn? Share your experiences!