“I wanted to like them.”

Dining options: Reservations
Description: BBQ & Catering
“I wanted to like them.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The place was quaint, staff was friendly, & we felt welcomed. I do not recommend fried pickles or sweet potato fries. Pickles were very greasy & dipping sauce was on the table already. Sweet potato fries I usually love but these were thick cuts breaded like a tempora breading not enjoyable to me or others in our party. I split sandwiches with someone a beef brisket & a pulled chicken sandwich & both were good without the bun. Bun was greasy & soggy so just ate meat. I should have picked a BBQ sauce to dip but I didn't. I wanted to enjoy it more cause I like to support non chain restaurants but I don't think I will be back just too greasy.

Verona, NJ USA
“Finally a Great BBQ in NJ”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have been working in the area for a while and gave it a shot today.
The restaurant sits in a strip mall off Main St in Belmar, it’s unassuming from the outside but once inside you feel BBQ. My server was very nice and I explained to her that this was my first visit and she preceded welcome me and to inform me of how the food is prepared. I ordered the Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich with two sides let me tell you I was hooked. I knew when the food came out, even before the first bite that this was the real deal and was I right. Way too much food and worth the price of $12.80 plus tip for a huge sandwich, oversized helping of fries and a nice serving of ranch beans with two sodas and a side of homemade Nachos. This place must be very busy in summer once the shore crowds come in and my server informed me on weekends in off season it’s very active. JSBBQ is worth the drive if your in heading south on the GSP and if your looking for BBQ that you see on the Food Network try this place. Being a business owner and working with restaurants all the time I met the owner Doug Walsh when I finished my meal and told him of my great eating experience.
I am in the area about twice a month and think I’ll be a regular from now on.

• Visited March 2013
Hazlet, New Jersey
“Go here for some fun in Belmar”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have a great time in this exciting place. We can't wait to go back. There are few other places in Belmar worth visiting.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Abe B
New Jersey
“It's the real deal”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We've frequent this amazing BBQ place twice in two weeks because its the BEST BBQ in the area thus far.

From the outstanding customer service from staff and the genius of the pit master and their use of fresh ingredients. What a great trifecta that has its patrons salivating for more BBQ.

If your in the area check it out yourself it'll have you whipped for more.

New Jersey
“Disappointing visit”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We ate here on a Sunday night in February and sadly there are some things here seriously wrong. We had baby back ribs, sliced brisket, and pulled chicken. We've had the ribs before and thought they were excellent, falling off the bone good. This night they were tough and you couldn't gnaw the meet off. The brisket was also tough, but at least edible. The pulled chicken was pretty good, but it was in so much sauce that it was hard to appreciate the barbecue taste of the chicken. Collard greens while perfectly cooked and tender, lacked any flavor, and french fries arrived cold. Waitress promised us chips and salsa, but none ever arrived. Table next to ours got theirs. Probably best evidence that this place is losing control is that we were there for over an hour and when we arrived there were 5 vacated dirty tables with dishes, beer bottles, uneaten food. When we left, there were still 3 of those same tables in that condition nearby us.
Is this the dining experience you want to present to your customers?

• Visited February 2013