“Perfect for a NJ motel”
Review of Belmar Motor Lodge

Belmar Motor Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Belmar
Belmar Motor Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Belmar
“Perfect for a NJ motel”
Reviewed May 27, 2011

This is a motel, not a hotel but for a motel it is clean and had all we were looking for...right near train and could walk a block to town. It is across from the marina and the wedding hall. If you are looking for a no frills motel that is clean and a great price this is a great place.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank Endlesssummers2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Lisbon, Connecticut
Reviewed October 3, 2010

I could not believe that we called the day before to confirm that we had our room reservation confirmed and the front desk did not want a credit card to hold the room. We arrived at 8:45 and the lady at the front desk gave our room away!!!!!! She was RUDE< Smelled of cigarettes, she told me that there was a 6:00 rule that rooms can not be held. she gave us a smoking room , the sheets had holes in them, the bedspread also had holes in them, it was the wrost room i EVER stayed in. The over all Lodge smelled and was dirty. DONT stay there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ray08056

Travelers are raving about these Belmar hotels

New London, Connecticut
Reviewed September 27, 2010

The crabby lady at the front dest in the evning needs to loose the cigarette and learn to be pleasant. When our reservation was made no credit card was needed. Thought it was odd but the girl said no. Called again two days before to confirm the reservation, yep they had it and they did not ask for credit card. When we arrived on Friday at 9:00pm the reservation had been given away. can't you read the Crab said nothing held after 6:00pm. I told her I couldn't read that from Ct. gave us another room...smokey and dirty...GROSS.. holes in bedding dirty carpet. Moved to a smoke free room next day which was better. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank drinkup50
washington
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Went down with friends for a weekend expecting a nice night. Paid a decent amount of $185 and upon check in realized the staff was very rude. Not friendly. They don't even provide shampoo. You have to buy it out of a vending machine. Tub was clogged and the place is just run down. They think they are a prison and keep someone outside to check you in after 10 pm. If you are going down the beach for night life, having a curfew of 10 is unreasonable. Staff was rude about letting guests in instead of explaining to us the policy. Were badgered and treated like inmates, not guests. Had two double beds but we were given such a hard time about paying for two other people to stay with us. They made friend pay the extra money but then kicked him out. Terrible customer service and act like they are doing us a favor and we need to bow down to them. Would never go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank kll1230
Rockland, Maine
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Front desk staff rude. They smoked also. I had a backed up toilet. I went to desk and asked if someone can fix. The rude old lady said, "There is a plunger!" I asked if someone can come help, she questioned what I put in the toilet. "I went to the bathroom." She said that I shouldn't flush more than once. Then she said, "If you were home who would fix your toilet? No one, so there is a plunger, fix it yourself." The place is damp on the inside. Horrible colors. No elevator and I asked for a room on the first floor. Pool is in the middle of the parking lot. Lady said I couldn't get in hotel past 10pm. It'sjust crazy to put upwith. DO NOT STAY HERE. Better to sleep in your car if there is no other place in the whole state!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank 12noname34
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was in Belmar for a wedding, and elected to stay here so I did not have to rent a car. The hotel is across from the train tracks, which makes it convienient. It was a couple of blocks from Connolly's Station, and from where the wedding reception was. It is a very old hotel, with minimal frills. Not a bad place to stay considering the location and price. I would probably not stay there longer than 1 night, but for the wedding it served the purpose.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We’ve been traveling for years to the North New Jersey Shore points (Belmar to Asbury. Park). We do this in the spring and fall before and after the “season”. Because of lack of affordable motels at the shore we often stay at a budget chain about 15 minutes away. We have seen the BML in past and based on the reviews here we tried it this week.

The original rate quoted for mid-week was $90. with 10% off for AARP. When I arrived the rate was dropped to $70. with no further discount. This sounded fine.

The hotel was virtually empty – it was a Tuesday night and maybe 12 cars in the parking lot the next morning.

As folks said it’s a family run independent hotel that looks like any motel still around from the 1960s. The room was large with two DOUBLE BEDS. I point that out for big or tall folks. (I’m not big but just over 6 feet. Of course my feet hung over the end. And it is a bit crowded for two adults to sleep in one of these beds. Also, the bed was not firm but that was not the issue. There is a thick plastic covering between the mattress and the bottom sheet that doesn’t allow air to circulate so you will perspire.

The windows don’t open but I liked the fact that there is a small window near the floor that you can crank open to allow fresh air to come in. We did not need the A/C since the temp was about 65 degrees out at night. The room was surprisingly quiet.

There is a TV with at least 75 cable channels including HBO and ESPN. BUT the TV screen is 15 inches and on the other side of the room. My guess is the TV was bought in the 1980s. We looked in the bathroom for soap and shampoo. The soap was two teeny bars – smaller than Motel 6 – and no shampoo. I asked at the desk if they had and small ones. (Most budget motels – if not in the room – at least give you a sample size at the desk.). No free samples but I was told there was a vending machine. I looked and the candy/snack machine had little brown bags which contained a sample shampoo – but the brand or type was hidden – for 85 cents. (We stopped at Rite Aid on the way to dinner and bought a huge bottle for 79 cents!). So bring your own shampoo. Also, you might want to bring a coffee maker and coffee. None in room and none in lobby (even Red Roof has in the lobby) and no place is open in walking distance after 6pm to get coffee. And the nearest café in the AM is the Bagel Café – but you need to get dressed and then ealk 2 blocks to get AM coffee.

So, if you want a place close by (and yes they have a nice outside pool) and the price is right when you go and you can sleep on soft mattresses (with plastic) this place will be fine for you. We, however will find places a bit further away but with beds we can sleep in and small amenities like coffee (in room or lobby) and other essentials.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SteveinPhilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmar
Mayfair Hotel
#5 of 6 in Spring Lake
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
Berkeley Oceanfront Hotel
#4 of 6 in Asbury Park

Been to Belmar Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!