“Needs Some Work...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bellmawr
Los Angeles, California
“Needs Some Work...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

As far as cheap New Jersey hotels near Philadelphia there are a plethora of choices and this hotel should not be on your list. Even though it is quite a bargain at only $65 per night, the rooms and hotel itself felt even cheaper. Arrived for a weekend stay to find our reserved room unclean and shabby. Makeup and hair all over the pillows and sheets prompted us to immediately return to the front desk and politely ask for a different room. The front desk employee was pleasant enough and quickly obliged. Our new room was quite clean (and smelled that way too).

A king size room guarantees a king size bed, desk with chair, armchair by window and vanity (the bathroom just has a toilet and shower/tub). The whole set-up needs to be updated. The pillows felt like thousands of small pieces of stuffing jammed into an ill fitted case making sleep quite uncomfortable. The mattress is thin and not supportive at all. The heating system never quite heats the room and the highest setting (80 degrees!) is lukewarm. For a room with two people there was only enough soap, shampoo and conditioner for one person. Thin walls made hearing your neighbors conversations quite possible and unavoidable which isn't a problem if your neighbors are having a lively chat, but can be quite problematic if they decide to argue early in the morning (not once but twice!) Although, I can say that the hotel can't control their guests so that's not fair to hold against them.

Basically if you were passing through on a long journey from NJ to Philly and just wanted to crash somewhere for a night, this place isn't too terrible. But any longer than that and you should shell out some more money and seek out better lodging.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tuxedo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

We were quite satisfied with the large, clean room and ample breakfast provided gratis. The one draw was the state of the bathroom, which clearly needed renovation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank TuxedoMom
ontheroadagain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed for two nights (Aug. 7 and 8, 2009) as a less-expensive alternative to staying in Philly, which was destination for a quick, 2-day mini-vacation. We paid 75+tax per nighjt for a king bed room-the rooms were clean and , while not located in a particularly scenic part of town (do not drive much further north on Rt. 168!),it was quiet and there is a great diner right close by-the club diner(a typical chrome-style place) had meals complete with 2 vegs, bread, soup or salad and dessert (try the coconut custard pie!) for less than 12.00 per person on their junior-sized menu, which was quite sufficient quantity-wise. Other than the diner, the only option for food right there is fast-food or Applebee's. There is a Wal-mart within a mile for things you run out of. The hotel hass no pool or gym, but the room had a fair-sized work area for computing, reading, etc. with internet available. The staff was courteous and helpful, they have a free breakfast, which, however, only offered cereal and toast or muffins-no proteins or fruit.
All in all, good for those on a budget and it only takes about 15 miles to get into Philly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

This hotel was the cheapest we could find in the right area of NJ that had good reviews. As others have said, the whole chain have been recently renovated, and the room exceeded my expectations given the price. Everything was in good shape and clean. The location is very convenient -- the hotel is visible from the turnpike exit ramp. And when I called up to check that a middle of the night checkin was okay, no only were they fine with that but the price they quoted per night was cheaper than any I had seen listed online, and got cheaper still when I said I had AAA.

The walls are thin (as at many places), but we discovered that if you run the bathroom fan that drowns out any noise from other rooms and makes it easy to sleep.

• Liked — good value
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank tzarac
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

This is a newer motel in a decent neighborhood. The room was clean and had a flat panel TV. The free breakfast was OK but the choices were limited. They did have a fancy coffeemaker that could make anything you could want. Overall a good experience but at $80 it seemed pricey except that you are on the east coast where they just don't have $50 motels.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank chipnut
KENNESAW, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2007

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn for 2 weeks on business. I wish before I came that I knew it did include suites. I stayed in business class and there was no microwave or fridge. Upseting due to the length of my stay but liveable. If you book online you can get a suite for just 5 dollars more so I would go for the suite next time for convience. Other than that it was a great, clean hotel. In GA , where I reside, I have only seen Red Roof Inn motels. It was nice to see that this was a newly renovated hotel with an awesome staff. The staff helped me when ever I asked and I even had some nice conversations with them in my spare time. I loved the flat screen HDTV. They also had their network tv channels in HD. I also found the audio and video input so I could hook up my playstation to play games and watch movies. (for the review at the top: it was in the back in the middle, ya just gotta feel around for it) The wireless internet was great and the hot water was hot! The tap got so hot I would consider it boiling water. Room was clean reguarly in the morning and if I said "Do not Disturb" they would leave fresh towels on the door. I felt safe here and none of my items ended up missing. The parking is free and there is a Walmart 2 miles down the road. There is a great Chinese and Mexican resturant in walking distance. It is also not to far from Philly if you have a car. A nice 25 min drive (i dont drive fast here).

Down side: You are very close to the turnpike (kinda a upside to) but that makes for leaving the hotel a long wait at times. No fridge and microwave but easily solved with upgrade. I felt like my room key stopped working constantly and I did not have it close to any electronics. But the staff would help me quickly. I reccommend it if ya dont wanna pay Philly rates.

• Liked — Flat screen HDTV
  • Disliked — No fridge or Microwave in business class
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank BCCDIVA
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

The Red Roof Inn in Bellmawr is a great place to stay if you're looking to save some money and planning to drive into Philly. It's in a benign suburban-sprawl neighborhood, near some fast food joints (McDonald's, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts) and a few other discount hotels that didn't look as nice. It's a quick drive into Philadelphia for a $3 bridge toll, and it cost us about 1/3 of the price of anything that looked decent in Philly itself. One downside is that it would be pretty tough to figure out how to take public transportation into Philly; the train station is too far to walk to, and I didn't see any bus lines or taxis. The parking lot at the hotel is free and spacious, but parking in downtown Philadelphia is expensive!

The hotel is pretty new, and everything in our room was clean and in good repair. We had a flat screen TV (the hotel model with no input jacks for our DVD player) and a hair dryer, iron and ironing board. No fridge or microwave in the room, but an ice machine and a microwave are in the lobby. The high speed internet worked great. The shower head is high, which my tall husband appreciates, and the hot water was steady. We liked the computer desk with its own lamp.

There is no pool or playground nearby, so kids will be restricted to the hotel room until you drive them somewhere. The only other clientele I saw were construction workers and sports teams, and I felt safe at this hotel. It's nice that the building is pretty new; there was no used-to-be-a-smoking-room smell and my clothes didn't smell like a hotel when I got home either.

If you don't get out of your room by 11am every day, the maids will not clean it, but you can get extra towels. The day manager seemed grumpy about our comings and goings--we were on California time with a 2-year-old so we never got out of our room "on time:--but everyone else was pleasant. We left our laptop computer and DVD player in the room for 5 nights without incident.

Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone who is OK with a budget hotel environment and who doesn't want to spend big bucks to stay in Philadelphia.

• Liked — Clean, inexpensive, proximity to Philadelphia
  • Disliked — Grumpy morning manager
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Twirlgrrl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellmawr
Howard Johnson Express Inn Bellmawr/Philadelphia Area
Residence Inn Deptford
Residence Inn Deptford
#2 of 2 in Deptford
BEST WESTERN Philadelphia South - West Deptford Inn

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Bellmawr? Share your experiences!