“Worth the wait”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I make sure to go to The Black Whale at least once every summer. The great bar scene and excellent food are always one of the highlights of the summer. However, we do plan in advance as it usually an hour and a half wait for a table.

• Visited July 2013

Hillsborough, New Jersey
“Very Good seafood dinner”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I had dinner for the first time recently at the Black Whale. A popular place so was glad we got there early - there were people waiting outside when we left. I don't think they take reservations. It is a little on the noisy side but not unbearable.

The house salad was good and I got clams on the half shell for appetizer. Good and there was a container of horseradish so you could further spice up the cocktail sauce if desired. My wife had a special drink, The Ginger Whale. I think it was ginger vodka + lemonade + agave nectar. Good but $10.

We both really liked our dinners. She got the Arctic Char encrusted with a scallion sauce. Very tasty and the servings were good size. I got a blackened mahi-mahi with a very tasty light sauce, though I can't remember the ingredients. We were on the full side at that point so skipped dessert.

Service was very good - never waited and everything came out right. Would definitely eat there again. Fairly expensive and probably not a place I'd bring small kids. Though people do, sigh.

• Visited June 2013
Mahopac, New York
“Second visit-mixed reviews”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Friend and I went back last week. We went early so we could get in. It's a fun place, very loud.
We both really enjoyed their house salad, fresh and crisp. The house dressing is quite good.
We had dungeness crab in garlic sauce. The crab was delish, but that sauce!!!! It was a horrid mess. Much better to order steamed--trust me. Service was OK. Key lime pie hit the spot.

• Visited June 2013
Short Hills, New Jersey
“good food”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

food was very good, however, my order was screwed up. Although they apologized many times, they really didn't do anything special for us, like a drink or a free dessert.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank rfbs
Brielle, New Jersey
“Really Good Seafood!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Really good seafood. service was good. prices were high however and that's why I'm not giving 5 stars.

Visited June 2013