“Never Again”

Calabria Ristorante
Ranked #31 of 93 Restaurants in Beach Haven
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated Southern Italian Ristorante specializing in fresh pastas, local seafood, and Italian style pizza with amazing deserts. We now offer Gloria winery wines from Nappa Valley California 1/2 bottles and full bottle service of a selection of white, red and sangria
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I read the reviews before we ate at Calabria Ristorante. But given that the family was hungry, we decided to go. How bad can it really be??? The hostess had no personally at all, it was like she was doing you a favor by halping you. My veal parm was burned, my daughter's raviolis were bland and my wife's chicken was dry. The salad appeared to be sitting unrefrigerated for hours. The place was expensive considering the crappy food. No ambience at all. Despite the horrible food and hostess, the place was packed. But then again, this is the Jersey shore and people are less picky than normal. If the owner served this food in Norhtern NJ, he would have been out of business years ago.

2  Thank FerrariFanNewJersey
There are newer reviews for Calabria Ristorante

Reviewed August 6, 2011

My 12 year old son and I thought we would give the restaurant a try despite the poor reviews. We are staying on the same block and it was very convenient.
We waited over 20 minutes for water. We finally placed our orders, and after waiting over 45 minutes, we started asking about our order. We were told it was busy and the kitchen was behind. I finally asked the hostess and was told the same. After an hour of waiting and seeing many other tables served, we told the hostess we were leaving. I told her that my guess was that our order was never entered. Not only did she not deny it, she could not even tell me it would be done soon. She knew my son was very hungry, but made no attempt to appease us. I told her about bad reviews on this web site, and she did not seem to care.
My experience in other restaurants has always been that customer service was important. This establishment does not seem to understand this. One might suspect that my experience was an aberrancy, however the other poor reviews confirm that Calabria has problems.

1  Thank snoozedoc2
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I read the reviews and figured why not give it a try. I am not a picky eater when it comes to dining out but this food was just bad. My dad ordered chicken parmagian (which is not hard to mess up). Not only was it smothered in tomato sauce but it tasted like McDonald's chicken nuggets with mozzarella cheese on top. I ordered the spinach ravioli which was not too bad though. I would not suggest trying this restaurant.

2  Thank sarahreback
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Coming down to the shore every year with my friends and family we have tried many restraunts but recently we have stuck with Calabria. We have never been disappointed with their food or the service. Every waitor/waitress has been overly happy and seem to enjoy their jobs. You notice all of the employees talking and joking around with eachother making it seem that they enjoy the atmosphere which makes the atmosphere for the customers very relaxing. We have ordered a little bit of everything on the menu and when they say award winning pizza they really mean it!
Calabria also started serving breakfast in July on the weekends, I have not been able to try it yet but I had a chance to look at the breakfast menu and it's like nothing I've seen before. They have specialty items that made my mouth water just reading it. Deffinitely need to try next time I'm in beach haven.

Only have had good experiences and recommend Calabria to anyone and everyone dining on the Jersey Shore

Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I were at the Jersey shore this weekend for our anniversary. We stayed in Beach Haven and decided to eat at Calabria Ristorante on Sunday evening. Upon arrival we were seated immediately in a little nook off of the main dining area. We sat there for 15 minutes (at least) before anyone came to our table to acknowledge us.....and then that was the hostess who seated us. Well, at least she took our beverage order. Finally the waiter appeared and took our order. Salads and bread were served first. Both were excellent. Salad was crisp and fresh with a balsamic vinegarette dressing that was quite good. Bread was fresh and warm and also very good. But, then it all went downhill from there. My husband has the Veal Francais. Portion was generous but only one piece of veal was edible. The rest was very tough and chewy. The sauce was good...but still with the quality of the veal much of the meal was uneaten. I ordered Chicken Florentine. Coming from an Italian background, I've eaten this dish many times so I know what it's suppossed to look like and taste like. I took one bite and that was enough. Absolutely unedible. I sent it back and ordered something else....the Chicken Sorrento. This dish was suggested by the hostess and she described it as a sauted chicken breast covered with cheese and topped with a red sauce. OK....so I'm game; I'll take her suggestion. A few minutes later the dish is put down in front of me. Chicken tasted like it was cooked 3 times over and it wasn't topped with red sauce....it was swimming in what tasted like tomato soup that had water added to it. Totally disgusting. Waiter came back to check on us and I told him to just take my plate away....UNEATEN. So, my dinner consisted of the small side salad and side of penne pasta that came with the entree.

Then the bill comes and they have the audacity to charge us full price. When I complained the hostess took a really sarcastic attitude with me to the point where I flat out refused to pay for my dinner. Long story short, don't waste your time or money here. There are plenty of other restaurants on the Island.

2  Thank RavensMom