“Great Location”
Review of Jolly Roger Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Jolly Roger Motel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Beach Haven
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed at the Jolly Roger over the 4th of July and had a great time. Our room looked right at the ocean and the beach was just across the street. We could see 20 or more fireworks displays from the rooftop deck. Nice place for a beach getaway.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the ocean. Great view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Barb B

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at the Jolly Roger and I was won over by Amy's friendliness over the phone. It cost $180 because it was the high season. The room was nice and there were no bed bugs. I was disappointed that there was no shampoo, conditioner, shower gel or lotion. I expected that because the room rate wasn't cheap. There was soap provided, but it didn't smell very nice.

Unfortunately the bed was hard and not comfortable. The AC unit was blowing straight onto the bed and that wasn't comfortable either. We didn’t sleep well all night. The breakfast consists of coffee/tea, and mediocre stale pastries. There was a fridge in the room which was a nice feature.

There are nice decks on the 2nd and top floors. Another nice perk was that the owner let us hold onto our beach passes the day we checked out at 11 a.m. She let us use towels when we got back from the beach so we could quickly shower off in their outdoor cold water shower. There was shampoo and shower gel here!

One of the major disappointments that nobody mentions on Tripadvisor about this location at the south tip of the island is the flies!!

Amy warned me after we checked in that there are greenhead flies down there ,and she let us use some home-made bug spray. She also said we could buy more of it at the deli next door. It is an absolute must to buy this $13 spray made of Skin So Soft/Listerine/Water. You can't even pack up your car without being bitten by a greenhead or black fly. Forget trying to relax on the beach—even with spray on the flies swarm you and try to find a spot to bite (and it hurts). Apparently there is a bird sanctuary at the tip of the island that attracts the flies. They also seem to near the bayside of the island, too.

We won’t be staying here next time or on the south end of LBI.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erika D
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My friend Scott and I stayed at the Jolly Roger for the first time in the many years we have been traveling to LBI. Do not let the modest exterior deter you. The rooms were clean and comfortable. While they were small, they definitely fit our needs and are perfect for a couple or two friends to stay at. It's at the southernmost tip of the island which is quiet and peaceful and there is a great little cafe/deli next door with very friendly staff. Amy is by far the most wonderful part of the Jolly Roger. She was always friendly and available with whatever we needed and made sure we had a wonderful stay and were well taken care of. She even let us part at the hotel after we checked out so that we could enjoy a little more beach time. She is fantastic and the price is right. It was also great that we could do a one night stay as most hotels during the season want a 2-night minimu. We would definitely go back to the Jolly Roger!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Elizabeth Q
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have been going to LBI for over 25 years, staying in various accommodations and settings. I had never stayed as far south as the Jolly Roger. I called a couple of weeks ago for a one night stay (which is difficult to find during high season) and Amy, the manager, was able to accommodate me and my friend.
Upon arrival, the place was very clean and comfortable. Amy greeted us and was incredibly friendly and accommodating.
The room was perfect for our quick weekend trip and the location is right across from the beach. There is a deli next door.
Amy is just great. I was able to chat with her for awhile on a couple of occasions and she really made the stay at the Jolly Roger extra special. She informed me of some great specials coming up in the fall and I will definitely be coming back for that.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Scott R
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I can say this hotel's customer service is incredible. I called them at midnight on a friday in the summer to get a last minute room for an employee who had been stuck working a wedding until very late. He had a 2 hour drive home and was exhausted. Amy, the manager, informed me that she had one room but  it wasn't  made up. I asked if she might consider making it up -- which she graciously did, at 12:45 at night, and even left a nice note for my overtired, overworked employee. He felt so welcomed and I felt like there really are nice people out there (every other motel in Beach Haven rudely told me NO! and hung up at midnight.)

I called the next morning and spoke with another Jolly Roger employee, Maryann, who was equally as sweet as Amy. We settled payment, and I chatted with her. She had clearly taken the time to talk to my employee, learn a little about him, and she encouraged him to say at relax for a bit before checking out. The rate was so reasonable- they could have gouged me (i was desperate), but they didn't.

I would rather patronize an establishment run by good people, and this hotel clearly is. My employee said the hotel was very nice, the staff was incredible, and they had coffee and donuts for him in the morning. He also noted that the location and beach views were unbeatable. Win!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank CQBrownie
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter for a two nite mother /daughter get away. The rooms were nice size and the they were had a good size frig and microwave. Additionally, there is an attached private porch with a table and four chairs which gives you a side view of the ocean...which is right across the street. The are very friendly and provide a continental breakfast and the rates are a good value. Additionally, the give a discount for AAA. I was really please and will be going back again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank TwoNiks
Reviewed August 17, 2011

At first I was a bit skeptical about this quaint motel at Beach Haven. However, I gave in and forgot about the boardwalk, go carts, and packed beaches of my other favorite New Jersey beach spots. When my partner and I arrived early our room was cleaned and ready. The staff was very nice and friendly, always giving us suggestions on good places locals go to get food. I was pleasantly surprised by the room! It consisted of a queen bed, a small desk and chair, two sets of drawers and a small television. The private covered balcony just exceeded my expectations. It was huge, but not super private. The two rooms next to us had balconies right next to ours. The bathroom was standard, and I just loved the shower head. The ambiance of the room was very personal and homey...not like the standard hotels you find at wild wood. The bed was a bit on the hard side but I never mind that. There was also a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The size of the fridge was nice and I could fit leftovers and a gallon on water easily in it. The cleaning ladies would come around 10 am every day and cleaned our room when we were on the balcony. Sometimes they would just change out the towels. Every morning free coffee tea and pastries were served in the gift shop. The beach was about 5 minutes from the room and not too crowded. This motel offers a lot of public deck space to watch the sun rise or set. Also there is a deli right next door to get some tasty cheese steaks.

If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, and relatively cheap (AAA discount as well) place to stay and enjoy the beach Jolly Roger Motel is it! I really loved this place!

Room Tip: Queen with private balcony is the best bet! I had number 7 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Manahawkin / Long Beach Island
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
#5 of 49 in Atlantic City

Been to Jolly Roger Motel? Share your experiences!