“Stay anywhere but here!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beach Haven
Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Beach Haven B&B and Inns
West Trenton, NJ
“Stay anywhere but here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

We booked this B & B based on the award of "Best B & B on LBI". I don't know who gave them this award but it is not deserved. The owner is very nice but they need to RUN , not walk to the nearest SLEEPYS and purchase a mattress. I thought I was on a board with sounds effects.
We stayed in Viola's Room. The room is in the front of the property. The 3 windows have vinyl blinds from KMART. The spot light on the front of the house then lights up the entire room. YOU CAN READ without a light turned on at 2 AM. Needless to say, we didn't sleep well. The key to a good B & B is to sleep well. The breakfast is not to bad but when offered waffles with peaches, you should at least have fresh peaches. Not here, you get canned peaches. When the owner was asked if they had the Sunday newspaper, the reply was " I did not get a chance to go out and get one". I think a B & B who is charging over $200 a night, should make the time to get the newspaper or have it delivered.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

Title says it all, in addition, way overpriced, mediocre breakfast, below average innkeeper, everything carried an extra cost

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank swoldow
Eastern Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

Although the room was very small it was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was ample, and guests have a choice of eating inside or at tables set up outside. The staff was pleasant and helpful.

It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach. Beach badges are provided.

A loud and scary siren sounded in the middle of the night. I assume it was a nearby fire and/or ambulance station.

However, be sure to get a receipt when you pay for your room, and to check the statement for the credit card you use to hold the reservation. Although I sent a deposit months ago, and that was indicated on the receipt, my credit card was charged the amount of the deposit.... plus 4% for using the card... while I was still there! Most of the money was returned exactly 30 days later.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Philadelphia Suburbs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

My husband and I are admittedly spoiled by stays at two other B&B's which are members of the Select Registry (the IGH is not). Having had sublime experiences at other locations, we are comparing, which is a disadvantage for the IGH.

Only if you actually try to reserve the room online do you see an indication that the room isn't availbale for the displayed rate for one night only in-season. (I attempted to reserve the room, so I knew the 2 night minimum might be an issue). I called, and we were able to get a room for one night, but for $75 more than the 2-night minimum rate. Because this was a last-minute trip, we relented. I was later dismayed when I heard another guest on the phone in the 'lobby' with (presumably) one of the owners. She was complaining that the rate she was being charged and the rate on the websites were different (again, the 2 night minimum thing). I was dissappointed that because she was ignorant of the 2 night minimum and complained, she did indeed get the room for the $199 (lower rate). If the owners are so adamant they should hold their ground with all customers, not just those who are being polite.

The owners and staff are lovely and it's clear they're trying very hard to make it a pleasant stay for their guests. Some things which were not available - but are inexpensive and would've made a big difference - are things like offering snacks all day (even if just a bowl full of granola bars guests can grab on the go would've been nice) and offering bottled water. The afternoon tea was lovely but the iced tea was warm and sweetened with no ice available (not as refreshing as one would hope on a hot day).

The room we stayed in was very tiny for the price - think NYC hotel room. The private bath too was miniscule, with almost zero room to put toiletries. Which actually, reminds me of something. I thought it odd that in the shower there was a large container of bath gel and large bottle of shampoo (versus individual, small toiletries per guest). The same bath gel and shampoo you're using are the same bottle used by the previous guest; a bit strange at $300 a night.

The breakfast was lovely and a nice surprise with assorted bagels, slices of watermelon, basket of hard cooked eggs, juice, coffee and hot entrees brought to our table outside in the peaceful courtyard. The entree was pancakes (blueberry, plain or chocolate chip) served with a side of sausage and both were delicious.

Unfortunately the overnight visit ended on a sour note when my husband looked under the bed only to discover a shoe, some papers, and dust bunnies. Bummer. With a little extra care and attention to details the IGH has great potential.

I would definitely recommend on a floor other than the first floor, as our room was in the main traffic flow, not terribly private, and we could clearly hear conversations taking place in common areas.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

My partner and I recently booked a reservation at the island guest house and it turned our entire vacation into this horrible nightmare. First, off let me tell you that my partner and I are not the cleanest people in the world, but when I tell you this b&B was dirty its an understatement. I can understand they were voted best b&B a few years ago, but since that point they had to let things really slide. The rooms are very small, parking was ok. Around 4am there AC shuts off, and my partner and I are sweating in our rooms. It had to be about 80 degrees that night, humid. We woke up from the horrible conditions. Then whether someone complained or what, they turned on their AC again. Around 8 or 9 we ended up freezing. The night before I found 4 bugs or ants, some of which hopped. We did not think anything of it until the next morning when we woke up to about 50 ants flying and hoping around. We thought maybe they were coming from the window but it turned out that they were actually coming from behind the wall like the foundation. Absolutely disgusting. The other room they have in which they tried to show me actually has an ant hole in the corner of the room. I am unsure how the rooms are upstairs, but the bottom rooms were more like basements. Thats what you usually find in old unkept ones.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank starrynight4
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

WAY over priced. Breakfast very mediocre. Inn keepers not the friendliest.
Bedrooms super small. Location was good, place was clean. There was parking but if you made a mistake late at night, like we did, the inn keeper will threaten to have you towed. Not what we expected. If that's high speed internet than I'm "Flo Jo".

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Westchester County, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

This was a last minute trip with our 2 year old. They serve breakfast at 9 which is way too late in our world, but we dealt with it. The room was very, very small and that was with an "upgrade". We paid an extra $150 for a fridge and private entrance. They gave us a 1980s Pooh movie (on VCR) for our child because they "haven't upgraded to DVDs yet". Nice, but a little fake and not what I expected. The location is amazing and that's what is worth it but I would try to rent a place for a week instead of staying here. The breakfast was not worth the extra money for bed and breakfast.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nyjen
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
J.D. Thompson Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!