“Good place for dinner”

Dining style: Casual Dining
New Jersey
“Good place for dinner”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Eaten here a couple of times, no complaints from anyone. Good food and nice atmosphere. Would recommend.

• Visited August 2014

Beacon, New York
“A decent dinner and drinks”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

My husband and I have been to Buckalew's a few times recently. We've had both seafood and bar food on our visits. Honestly, I prefer the pizza and bar food to the seafood that they have. I'm a seafood lover. Not a snob, but I appreciate seafood that is fresh and prepared nicely. The crab cakes and sushi are not my favorites. They weren't terrible, just okay. Our personal pizzas were really good and were reasonably priced.

On our last visit, we were seated in the bar area. It was really loud, but didn't bother us too much. I can see how other people would not enjoy it. If you are someone who enjoys a quieter meal, I would ask to be seated in one of the other rooms. They are not nearly as loud. Or go to eat at a time of day that isn't as busy.

Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Really Terrible Food”
Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner tonight with reservations for 12 which we changed to 14. No problems there. However we booked for a Monday based on an email I received advertising pirate night for the kids. The email stated that kids eat free with each paying adult. I confirmed this when booking originally. Upon arrival I was advised that, that was an old promotion and kids eat for $8. Ok ...not pleased but we accepted the change. The pirate was great and a dead ringer for Captain Jack Sparrow. The children (5 of them) loved him. The food however was AWFUL! There were 3 orders of crab cakes which were each soft and mushy. My husband ordered the chicken valencia which was inedible. We waited 15 min to get ketchup and mayo after our food was delivered. I had the clams fra diavilo which was edible but blah. The French onion soup tasted as if it came from a can. The food was over-priced and ranged from tasteless to terrible. We vacation here in LBI yearly and as Jersey residents often come down throughout the year, suffice it to say we will not be coming here again. There are many other places on the island to get good food and if you cant get a reservation any were else you are better off cooking!

Montvale, New Jersey
“Completely Dissapointing”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The only thing worse than the horrible food was the awful service. You would think a beach town restaurant would serve fresh crab cakes, not frozen. Our waitress disappeared for what seemed like her entire shift. We had to ask the bartender to find her and bring us our check. With so many other places on the island, stay away from this place.

2 Thank BusinessTripper125
“Wait staff tried but management and kitchen couldn't put it together”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Went here on a Saturday with my family and we sat out on the deck ready to have a nice meal. Erin our waitress greeted us with the comfort you would expect at a little shore tavern. That is where is all started going downhill. 9 dollars for a craft beer? are you kidding me? My wife ordered the surf and turf medium well and I a burger done the same. Both came out as though they were thrown on the grill and forgotten about. We mentioned this to Erin and she agreed to have my wife's steak cooked again. I declined another entree as I never send back and get again. After another 15-20 minutes her steak came out again this time still moo'ing. We mentioned this to Erin and she was very apologetic, I felt very bad for her.

Then the bill came, charged full price for both entree's that we hadn't eaten. I went inside to talk to the manager and she was ready for an argument after making me wait 5 minutes. I explained to her the situation and she showed me a little paper chart saying this is how we cook things. I explained that that may be how you are supposed to cook them but that is not how it was cooked. With a nasty "FINE" she snatched the check out of my hand and went into the kitchen, after another 10 minute wait she came back and basically threw the check down on the bar and said I took of half for one (My wife did eat the Lobster so that was fine) and the full price of the burger.

I had high hopes that we would like this place because it was right down the street from the Showplace were we go for ice cream but I will not be back.