“It's an LBI institution”

The Chicken or the Egg
Ranked #1 of 89 Restaurants in Beach Haven
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: When we boast that there is something for everyone, it's not without merit. There are classic items and ones that are completely original and unique. And then there are the wings... A lot of places talk a good buffalo wing, but the "Chegg" as it is now commonly known, truly delivers. The wings are big, juicy and available in 17 sauces, both Original Breaded, or Naked. The Chicken or the Egg has become know locally and Nationally for these big beauties. And best of all, the whole menu (breakfast too) is available 24 hours a day (in season). But for us, it's not just about the food. It's about family. It's about camaraderie. It' s about good times. So come io in and join the family. Join the fun. You'll be happy you did. Oh, and sorry about the lines. People dig us. But it' s worth the wait.
Hoboken, New Jersey
“It's an LBI institution”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

We didn't get down last year because our house is still being worked on post-Sandy. It's strange to go through a whole summer without ever Chegging it. There have been times I've had breakfast, lunch and after-bar food there on a Saturday.

The wings are of course famous and they should be because they're awesome. My personal favorite though is the nachos. Whatever you get you'll love the food and the atmosphere. It's a crazy scene at night, but some of my best memories are there when I was in my 20s at 3 am.

Of course the "when did you visit" choices only go back a year but I've been going to the Chegg for years and will go until I die or LBI is underwater.

• Visited June 2013

Tuckerton, New Jersey
“Great place on LBI”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Have been to Chicken or the Egg 4 times now with wife, mother in law, and son. We really like the atmosphere and food. Have had breakfast, lunch, and dinner there, with the wings (of course) being the real standout.

In the summer, you might be waiting a long time for a table; but takeout is always an option as well. Best restaurant in lbi for families.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“get the crab omelette!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

good breakfast food and late-night grub! the Chegg! can't go wrong. crab omelette was fab, so are the pork fries (late night).

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Brandi R
Acworth, Georgia
“Great breakfast place!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

We went there this morning with eight people and had no problems. We sat down right away and everything came out just as ordered. Food was great, service was good and the place was clean...even the bathroom. I'm sure there would be a wait had we come here in season. Would definitely go back!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Lauren M
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Deliciously delectable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

I ordered the Eggs Chesapeake, couldn't go wrong! My brother ordered the French toast with apple something on top and it simply look amazing. Considering it didn't last long on his plate even though the size was immense, I take it was just as good as mine. I got some of the hot wing sauce for my home fries - hot stuff! Coffee was well made to boot! I plan to return to try their lunch/dinner items as the menu looked as good as the food. We went just before Memorial Day so we didn't have to worry about crowds which I bet is an issue for a place this good.

• Visited May 2014