“Lobster rolls in NJ”
Review of The Maine Course - CLOSED

The Maine Course
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This place is famous for its lobster rolls and they are... good. Not great, but good. We had both hot and cold and they were both fine. What was great was the sweet potato fries - yummmmm! We ate outside (a better option than a very crowded, small space indoors) and enjoyed the breeze at the same time.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

My family and I have enjoyed the food at the Maine Couse since they opened. The menu offers lots of choices and the staff treats people right. We look forward to eating there... again and again.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Went with 4 people, 3 ordered lobster rolls, 2 regular size and I ordered the jumbo roll which the waitress said was twice the size as the regular. She said regular is 4 inch roll and jumbo is 8 inch and double the size. When they came, the jumbo was an inch bigger than the regular and far from full, it had less meat in it than the regulars delivered, so I called the waitress over and said this is not what you explained, and her response was "oh they must have changes the rolls they used" so I asked her for more lobster meat and she offered to get more from the kitchen, and whe she brought it. It was the worst part of the lobster, it was a pile of diagusting tiny hard dry pieces of the smallest part of the claws. In edible . And also we ordered 2 clam chowders, which were 4.99 a cup, and she forgot to bring us the crackers, by the time she brought them we were done with our soup. This is a terrible place, poor quality, poor value, over priced, I would not go back or recommend it. Save your money and go elsewhere.

5  Thank Marcsfault
GucciButterfly, Owner at The Maine Course, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Please allow me to apologize for your poor experience. Any and all comments re: my servers are utilized as teaching tools to correct so folks will enjoy that all important aspect of their visit. As an fyi all lobster rolls are 6" long. Jumbo's are 8" long. The lobster meat comes from the sweetest parts' i.e. the knuckle and claw. It is portioned then piled higher for both presentation and customer enjoyment. Your experience was an aberration which I will make every effort to never let happen again. Sincerely, Cheryl Palermo

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Honestly, a little baffled by the positive reviews after tonight.
I wish I could say it must have been a bad night, but after consideration, no. Our meal was a total bust. The service staff was full of a lot of "Ummms," but not much else. Unmotivated and not cheerful, even on a bad night, they should have been more attentive. Not knowledgeable at all about their small menu, and I was listening to all 5 other tables order. I had the lobster roll cold with mayo, although there was no mayo, and no seasoning, which was a shame because the lobster itself was decent quality, as was the roll. I imagine the buttered lobster version might be better, but I have a rule: If I have to reach for the salt at your establishment, you are missing the mark badly. And I don't reach for salt often. My cole slaw was bitter and also under seasoned, and I am very forgiving of cole slaw since it varies so much. Husband had the fish and chips, and when I asked if it was ok, he grumbled that it was 'fine.' After 15 years together, I know that is a sign of a man who will not be happy to pay the bill. One child had the popcorn shrimp, which was mushy and had that over-shrimpy flavor, one had the mac and cheese bites, terrible frozen stuff. All meals were not the correct temperature, too warm or not hot enough (I have waitressed and worked in food service/catering). Service was extremely slow with excuses, tables were not wiped between diners, and I had to ask for napkins, and was asked if I 'still needed the napkins' before we got any.
Another family of four sat down, and as the service was showing it's true colors, I could see the questioning look on the father's face. I didn't have the nerve to tell him to walk away now before his late drinks showed up. (and I couldn't bring myself to just pay for our drinks and leave when it was glaringly apparent the meal would not go well)
Cute décor, good outside seating, BYOB. (one waitress was asked where to get the closest beer, and had no idea- happy, drinking customers order more and tip better)
BYOB, salt, seasoning, napkins, and service, and the lobster rolls are fairly priced. The 'battered' fries were ok, lukewarm.
Personally, will pass from now on.

5  Thank ashley0525

First and foremost let me apologize for your unpleasant experience. Wish I had caught this review sooner. I found your information re: my servers to be useful and will utilize it for training purposes. This server must have been new and fresh out of school which might explain why she didn't know where to get the closest beer. Taste and temperature are our highest priorities. Clearly your meal did not meet our own standards for which I am sorry. As an fyi, our cold lobster rolls do consist of the sweetest part of the lobster mixed with mayo. We do not salt them. We leave that to the customer who can salt to taste. We make them the New England way. Sincerely, Cheryl Palermo

Reviewed July 1, 2014

A delicious meal for the price. I had the famous jumbo lobster roll which was as good as I have had in Maine with a side of sweet potato fries. My son got the fried clam strips with onion rings, the clam strips were obviously fresh and very good. My husband got the fried seafood combination (flounder, shrimp and scallops). Very very good meal and wonderful to sit outside. Look forward to returning and trying more items on the menu.