“All time favorite place to spend my summer vacation”
Review of Long Beach Island

Long Beach Island
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Beach Haven
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I have gone to LBI every summer since I was a little girl. now that I have my own family I have made my experience thiers. It is awesome to drive down the Bvld and have so many memories come flying back and since my mothers passing it makes the memories even more special. And now i get to see my kids exoerience it the way I did.

it is sucha relaxing place to visit. The nicest part of the whole place it that is isn't commercialized like evry other vacation spot. it is made up of houses and private owned resturants. We looked forward to our vacation in LBI every summer.

2  Thank Jenn S

Reviewed January 23, 2008

We've now spent our last two summer vacations at Long Beach Island (Beach Haven), and plan to spend many more. I have two kids, ages 3 and 5, and in the middle of winter they keep asking me when they are going to "the beach" again. It was that memorable. We're from California, by the way, and the beaches in CA are not as beautiful and accessible as those on Long Beach Island.

We stayed at a house rental 3 blocks away from the beach in Beach Haven. It's on the south side of the island with the street number in the 120s (Indiana St., I think). I stayed with my sister's family (3 kids) and my parents in a 4 bedroom house. The house is about a 5 minute walk, with one main street crossing. There's a nearby supermarket (drive) and a 24-hour Wawa convenience store (walk) two blocks away. Lots of nearby, family friendly restaurants, too.

Going to the beach is like going camping. You bring your umbrellas, buckets, cooler (food & drink), beach towels, sunscreen, flip flops, etc. in a large wagon. Although it's not crowded, be sure to arrive prior to 10AM to stake out a prime spot. There are many, many convenient access points to the beach here. And don't forget your beach badges.

Once you are there at the beach, you feel as if you've been transported to heaven on earch. Each day, we arrived at the beach at 9AM, and the kids would get right down to building sand castles, walking the shoreline or taking a dip into the water. It's the greatest feeling in the world.

16  Thank jimboc
Reviewed July 22, 2007

My husband's family went to LBI every summer, and we have continued the tradition with our two children. It is a fairly close drive to us from Maryland (4 hours or less) , has beautiful, clean beaches, no tall condo or hotel buildings, just enough additional attractions and shopping for rainy days, and is safe and family oriented. Nice variety of good quality restaurants as well. What more could you want??

10  Thank travelinMRB
Reviewed July 17, 2007

10 days and I'm off to my favorite place in the world! LBI. I grew up spending my summers there and going back when I can is such a joy. I remember as kid watching the hurricanes when they came in, riding the rides at Fantasy Island and going for ice cream at Skipper Dipper. Now, I have a six year old son and I love watching him as he has the same adventures I did as a kid.

LBI is not expensive. Look at other beach towns who have hotels on the beach. You pay less to rent a house then you would a hotel. And having a house is much better than a hotel room. And with LBI having little to no hotels/motels, you dont' have the people come down to party for a weekend like you have in other beach towns. There is nothing better than LBI. I can't wait!

12  Thank freetofly06
Reviewed April 25, 2007

I grew up going to LBI every single summer since I was a baby...
I have so many special memories.
To the poster who said do something about the biting flies..well, unfortunately, sometimes that happens on a day the wind blows from the mainland.
LBI is expensive but it keeps the riff raff out. No big hotels which is great and not a party city like some of these boardwalk places.

I stay in Barnegat Light..the quiet end.

8  Thank Shoregirl1972