“Never Stay Here” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hurley's At Holgate Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hurley's At Holgate Inn
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Beach Haven
Madison Ct
“Never Stay Here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

This Hotel I thought was going to be a nice hotel but it turned out to be gross and a little dangerous. Us and a few other family members got rooms and their room smelled like cat urine and our room had all of the electronics in the room in one surge protector the A/C was very noisey and the fan was noisey too. Also i hated that the rooms were $210.00 a night after tax. The nice thing about this hotel is the People Who own it there very kind and the short distance to the beach and the quietness.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mkane95
Maire7, Owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2009
A surge protector is an"asset" as it protects equipment, a building and the people who occupy it. More then likely an individual who has a computer system has one for it, and if they don't , they should . A licensed electrician will tell you of its benefits --- there are no drawbacks and our electronics in a room consist merely of a TV and radio. A hotel/motel in N.J. must be licensed, and as a result you are subject to random inspections by the state. They look to see that the business is "up to code" according to present law and if not, you have a very limited time period to correct it. We even have carbon monoxide detectors in the room, although not one of our rooms has a gas supply. However, since our residence shares the same property, and we do have natural gas in our home, each motel room must be protected. The state is pretty tough in enacting their laws and making sure we comply. Our insurance company also requires a yearly on-site inspection, as well as one by a licensed electrician prior to renewal. Since I have consistently met all requirements, I state that his is a very safe building, probably safer then most private residences. We live on premises and one of the benefits is that we can address any problem immediately 24/7, i.e., a noisely A/C etc. We keep spares on hand and they can be installed within an hour. We just have to know that a customer is having problems. Our rates are one of the most people friendly on the Island, and last year a room for 4 in season rented for $170.00 per night. Many of the larger establishments on the Island charge more then twice that. Although I love animals, we are not pet friendly. Our rooms are serviced everyday from bed making, removal of trash, etc., and we do use refreshners on carpeting, bed skirts, etc. on a daily basis unless asked not to. We go out of our way to meet our customers'' ' requests, and any problems we address immediately but once again they have to be brought to our attention, not after an individual leaves or 9 months later. In fact, when we see our customers throughout the day, we ask them if everything is okay --- it is up to them to respond honestly. If there is a problem, they are doing us a favor by alerting us and allowing us to correct it. I stand by the many excellent reviews we have received over the course of the years - a cleaner hotel you will not find on the Island,and we do our best to be the friendliest as well....even this customer stated "we are nice" then why not speak up while you are here, we don't bite!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
West Chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2009

This was our 9th year vacationing on LBI. Holgate, on the southern end of LBI, is quiet and a great place for kids. No commercial activity,no heavy traffic. What we did find were beautiful, clean beaches, and great waves.

Hurley's at Holgate is a short walk from the beach. Mike and Marianne, the owners, are incredibly friendly and take great care of their guests. The rooms are neat and well maintained. We love it and wouldn't consider any other hotel on the island.

• Liked — Service, Courtesy, Proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TenPoundTurkey
CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

I read the glorious reviews of this place on your site. Well, I don't understand them. I thought it was a poor choice. We stayed 3 nights. There rooms (very small) have no phone, no clock/alarm (so no wake-up), large closet (with no light), small TV mounted near ceiling (give you a stiff neck to watch), noisy A/C, tiny bathroom window (8x12), barely working fridge mounted on the wall, no coffee maker (sometimes coffee offered at front desk), one bedside lamp for 2 double beds. Wouldn't stay again. Really penny pinching. And certainly not cheap ($170 for each Friday, Saturday nights).

• Liked — Near the beach
  • Disliked — BLACK FLIES
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CtCarolB
Bemused23, owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2008
We did not build this motel, and I am actually amazed that you could focus in on bathroom windows. We recently had to stay at a hotel in North Jersey to attend a wedding and it had "no" window in the bathroom. Between two double size beds there was one nightstand, just as we offer between our beds. In fact, you also have a floor lamp which you can place on the other side of the bed. You are complaining that the rooms are small, now you want a second nightstand, and to balance it off there would actually have to be a third! To install the wiring for phones at this date would be a considerrable expense, and one that would have to be passed on to our guests. There would also be monthly charges for each phone along with the equipment. Totally unnecessary in today's age of cell phones, and an expense we would rather not pass on to our guests. I would say 95% of our "returning" guests have their own cell phone. I never use a hotel phone when I am traveling; I rely on my cell since it is less expensive then using the hotel phone. If a guest gets a call, we gladly bring them our phone if they are around, leave them a message if they are not and let them use our phone if they need to.. You are the first person to complain about the college dorm size refrigerator. They are cleaned and turned off between each guest, however, you need to turn it on and they work efficiently. It is mounted on a shelf on the wall and again it saves space. Coffee and juice is offered every morning in season, and it is available on the front deck by the office. and resupplied as necessary. You have a tray in your room, but you have to go get it yourself - it is not delivered. In some of our rooms the TV's are mounted on a TV bar from the wall, not the ceiling and again you are the first to complain about it. All you would have to do is say that the A/C was noisy and it would have either been repaired, or replaced if necessary. That is why we keep spares available. Funny the people before you, and the ones after you, did not complain. Alarm clocks/radios are available.but most of our guests don't want to be reminded of the time. As for the large closet with no light, you could have put the floor lamp near it if you so desired. If you were paying full rate in September, then you were Labor Day week and since I had relatives here since I just buried my brother that Friday, I do remember that Mother Nature was not exactly cooperating; however, I have no pull in that regard. You say we are "penny pinching", and Iwould suggest that the next time you stay at LBI you stay in some of the hotels/motels that charge in the uper $200 - $300. per night. If you were so dissatisfied, I only wish that you had brought your complaints to our attention when you were here and perhaps we could have tried to rectify them. We are known to go out of our way for our guests as testified in many of the write-ups we have received. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, but some of them were a little way out - such as the bathroom window. What could I possibly do to satisfy you with that concern. Marianne Hurley
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

This quaint little hotel provided the perfect backdrop for my quiet weekend getaway. The Hurleys were professional and kind while I was booking, and they were so delightful and pleasant during my stay, I felt like I was a guest at a friend's home.

The hotel itself is quiet, clean and intimate; I was truly sorry to leave. The best part was that their rates are SO reasonable, I am already planning my next trip back! It is definitely a great bargain for a Long Beach Island getaway!! I can't say enough good things about Hurley's.

• Liked — the room itself, plus the private deck with my own table & chairs
  • Disliked — the location was beautiful, just a little far from the main part of town
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank littlemeeghan
Colorado Springs, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2008

When I was faced with an extra day at the beginning of my vacation I decided that the Jersey Shore would be a nice place to spend it. After some research I decided on the Hurley's Inn at Beach Haven, LBI, and I couldn't be happier.

This is definitely a shore motel, to expect anything different just wouldn't be right for the area. The room was a reasonable size, there was a TV and a small dorm sized fridge, which was a nice surprise. The decor is 60's shore motel, again, to be expected and perfectly in tune to the rest of this small island. The bed was comfortable, there was an extra pillow and blanket in the room, and the bathroom was rather large and quite nice.

The location is fabulous!!! Just cross the street and you're at one of the cleanest, most beautiful beaches you will find on LBI! Spent most of my time there, and just loved it! The Hurley's have an outside shower/hose to clean off the sand from beachwalkers, which is nice.

The Hurleys couldn't have been nicer, from keeping the room nicely stocked to allowing me to check in early (I came in on a redeye from Denver, and boy, was I tired!!)

The motel is simple and straightforward, just a lovely place. It so completely reminds me of the shore houses and vacations of my youth. Quiet location (although all the locals tell me that's it's "off season" for a couple more days, so things would probably pick up in later June) I was very happy that I found the Hurleys and will definitely be back next time I'm on LBI.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Not really anything to NOT like about this place...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lindateddy
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2008

My family recently stayed at Hurley's Inn for two nights. Since we were going to be there on the day of my 10th wedding anniversary, I contacted Hurley's to see if they could help me plan a surprise vow renewal ceremony for my husband and me. They were so helpful!! Marianne helped me find the resources that I needed. Once there, Mike was so friendly and helped us with whatever we needed. We enjoyed our experience with Hurley's Inn and would stay there again. The location, right across the street from the beach, is also perfect.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — The room was a bit small for all of us, but we managed just fine.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Darnyy
Media, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

We spent two days at Hurley's and found it to be a very nice "beach house". It is right across the street from the beach and only a couple blocks from the bay and a tennis court. The room was comfortable and clean with a mini-fridge and cable TV. All in all it was a great place to relax and enjoy LBI. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township

Been to Hurley's At Holgate Inn? Share your experiences!