“Not impressed!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hurley's At Holgate Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Beach Haven
CT
“Not impressed!!”
Reviewed November 2, 2008

I read the glorious reviews of this place on your site. Well, I don't understand them. I thought it was a poor choice. We stayed 3 nights. There rooms (very small) have no phone, no clock/alarm (so no wake-up), large closet (with no light), small TV mounted near ceiling (give you a stiff neck to watch), noisy A/C, tiny bathroom window (8x12), barely working fridge mounted on the wall, no coffee maker (sometimes coffee offered at front desk), one bedside lamp for 2 double beds. Wouldn't stay again. Really penny pinching. And certainly not cheap ($170 for each Friday, Saturday nights).

• Liked — Near the beach
  • Disliked — BLACK FLIES
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank CtCarolB
Bemused23, owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2008
We did not build this motel, and I am actually amazed that you could focus in on bathroom windows. We recently had to stay at a hotel in North Jersey to attend a wedding and it had "no" window in the bathroom. Between two double size beds there was one nightstand, just as we offer between our beds. In fact, you also have a floor lamp which you can place on the other side of the bed. You are complaining that the rooms are small, now you want a second nightstand, and to balance it off there would actually have to be a third! To install the wiring for phones at this date would be a considerrable expense, and one that would have to be passed on to our guests. There would also be monthly charges for each phone along with the equipment. Totally unnecessary in today's age of cell phones, and an expense we would rather not pass on to our guests. I would say 95% of our "returning" guests have their own cell phone. I never use a hotel phone when I am traveling; I rely on my cell since it is less expensive then using the hotel phone. If a guest gets a call, we gladly bring them our phone if they are around, leave them a message if they are not and let them use our phone if they need to.. You are the first person to complain about the college dorm size refrigerator. They are cleaned and turned off between each guest, however, you need to turn it on and they work efficiently. It is mounted on a shelf on the wall and again it saves space. Coffee and juice is offered every morning in season, and it is available on the front deck by the office. and resupplied as necessary. You have a tray in your room, but you have to go get it yourself - it is not delivered. In some of our rooms the TV's are mounted on a TV bar from the wall, not the ceiling and again you are the first to complain about it. All you would have to do is say that the A/C was noisy and it would have either been repaired, or replaced if necessary. That is why we keep spares available. Funny the people before you, and the ones after you, did not complain. Alarm clocks/radios are available.but most of our guests don't want to be reminded of the time. As for the large closet with no light, you could have put the floor lamp near it if you so desired. If you were paying full rate in September, then you were Labor Day week and since I had relatives here since I just buried my brother that Friday, I do remember that Mother Nature was not exactly cooperating; however, I have no pull in that regard. You say we are "penny pinching", and Iwould suggest that the next time you stay at LBI you stay in some of the hotels/motels that charge in the uper $200 - $300. per night. If you were so dissatisfied, I only wish that you had brought your complaints to our attention when you were here and perhaps we could have tried to rectify them. We are known to go out of our way for our guests as testified in many of the write-ups we have received. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations, but some of them were a little way out - such as the bathroom window. What could I possibly do to satisfy you with that concern. Marianne Hurley

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This quaint little hotel provided the perfect backdrop for my quiet weekend getaway. The Hurleys were professional and kind while I was booking, and they were so delightful and pleasant during my stay, I felt like I was a guest at a friend's home.

The hotel itself is quiet, clean and intimate; I was truly sorry to leave. The best part was that their rates are SO reasonable, I am already planning my next trip back! It is definitely a great bargain for a Long Beach Island getaway!! I can't say enough good things about Hurley's.

• Liked — the room itself, plus the private deck with my own table & chairs
  • Disliked — the location was beautiful, just a little far from the main part of town
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank littlemeeghan
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed June 20, 2008

When I was faced with an extra day at the beginning of my vacation I decided that the Jersey Shore would be a nice place to spend it. After some research I decided on the Hurley's Inn at Beach Haven, LBI, and I couldn't be happier.

This is definitely a shore motel, to expect anything different just wouldn't be right for the area. The room was a reasonable size, there was a TV and a small dorm sized fridge, which was a nice surprise. The decor is 60's shore motel, again, to be expected and perfectly in tune to the rest of this small island. The bed was comfortable, there was an extra pillow and blanket in the room, and the bathroom was rather large and quite nice.

The location is fabulous!!! Just cross the street and you're at one of the cleanest, most beautiful beaches you will find on LBI! Spent most of my time there, and just loved it! The Hurley's have an outside shower/hose to clean off the sand from beachwalkers, which is nice.

The Hurleys couldn't have been nicer, from keeping the room nicely stocked to allowing me to check in early (I came in on a redeye from Denver, and boy, was I tired!!)

The motel is simple and straightforward, just a lovely place. It so completely reminds me of the shore houses and vacations of my youth. Quiet location (although all the locals tell me that's it's "off season" for a couple more days, so things would probably pick up in later June) I was very happy that I found the Hurleys and will definitely be back next time I'm on LBI.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Not really anything to NOT like about this place...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lindateddy
New York
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My family recently stayed at Hurley's Inn for two nights. Since we were going to be there on the day of my 10th wedding anniversary, I contacted Hurley's to see if they could help me plan a surprise vow renewal ceremony for my husband and me. They were so helpful!! Marianne helped me find the resources that I needed. Once there, Mike was so friendly and helped us with whatever we needed. We enjoyed our experience with Hurley's Inn and would stay there again. The location, right across the street from the beach, is also perfect.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — The room was a bit small for all of us, but we managed just fine.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Darnyy
Media, PA
Reviewed June 4, 2008

We spent two days at Hurley's and found it to be a very nice "beach house". It is right across the street from the beach and only a couple blocks from the bay and a tennis court. The room was comfortable and clean with a mini-fridge and cable TV. All in all it was a great place to relax and enjoy LBI. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bradleyjay34
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Our total Hurleys experience was a tremendously positive one ...

Booking:
I looked on here, looked at their site and then decided to phone ... Mike the owner was so friendly, helpful and full of advice about the island as well - I called back the next day to confirm and everything was handled politely and a very friendly manner

we Arrived:
a rare grey afternoon in LBI - a little anxious that the place wouldn't be lovely - but from the moment we parked the car infront of the mauve, cheerful motel front underneath the flags and flowers and Mike welcomed us in we knew that I had made the right decision. We had an upstairs room overlooking the street and across to the ocean side - the balcony area was lovely, the road is quiet - this is the far far south of the island and it is so peaceful - the one road up the island narrows this far south and in the main all that goes past are people on bicycles, joggers, walkers, and a man in a wheelchair being towed by 4 dogs.

the Room:
was lovely - jolly decoration, very comfortable bed, the fridge was a bit loud but there was a fridge which was great so it really didn't matter, the bathroom was great and really everything was of a much higher standard than I have experienced in other American motels. Every query we had from "can we borrow a hairdryer" to "i forgot my English plug adaptor thing can you help" was catered to - the room was cleaned well each day and it was teh perfect place to unwind and recover from a day on the glorious beach or walking to watch the sunset over the 'lagoon' side

the Area:
we found to be perfect - Hurleys supply coffee and juice in the morning - so you could take a cup of coffee for a walk up the street and get a delicious fresh bagel from the shop 4 minutes walk away (the only shop this end of the island - a deli, a beach supply shop and a coffee shop all is one - then there was the National State Park - 3 miles of glorious dunes and beaches to protect the piping plovers and other animals - there was the wonderful Atlantic Ocean 30 seconds away and 2 minutes away the calm lagoon across to the mainland with lovely sunsets

amazing seafood at the Black Whale 5 mins drive north in Beach Haven, yummy breakfasts at Uncle Wills, clam chowder to eat and eat and eat for ever at Harvey Ceadars Clam Bar ... really all you could ask for

we found Long Beach Island to be a very special place and Hurleys at Holgate just made the stay even more special - so thanks to Mike and his son - and looking forward to meeting Marianne next time. We were amazed how few New Yorkers and even NJ residents seemed to know about Long Beach Island - and met no other English tourists there - so I am almost temped not to press save and tell people about this wonderful place - but they deserve the praise.

Go there - it is the best spot on the island ... and don't forget to wash the sand off your feet before you go upstairs!

I think it would be great for a family, we were just a happy couple, and most other guests seemed to be too - it isn't a wild teenage party palace - there arn't phones in the rooms but if you want Club Med or the Waldorf Astoria or a chintzy B&B you know where to go - if not - then GO TO HURLEYS.

things to look out for:
1 - the pair of ducks on the beach - so funny
2 - the Rockafellow oysters - yummy
3 - piping plovers - gorgeous

things to avoid:
1 - the Silver Mall - they sell small dead baby sharks in jam jars - I reported this to the wild life ranger who was furious they would do this on the Island
2 - sand flies - do take some insect repellent with you for strolls on the beach - they are horrible bitey beasts - and remind you are not in heaven but still merely mortal and tasty at that
3 - mosquito repellent if you go to watch the sunset over the lagoon side

things you will do:
1 - chill out
2 - have fun
3 - sleep well
4 - eat and eat and eat

• Liked — falling asleep to the sound of the ocean, the attention to detail in the decoration - a simple room made cost, the size of the bed, the spaciousness of the room, the hosts, everything really!!!!
  • Disliked — the in room fridge buzzed - so we just turned it off at night - and that we had to leave and there was no room available so we could come back again that week!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank throwroses
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed March 5, 2007

My husband and I have been going here every summer (and again in September, if we can) for the past 9 years. We love the proximity to the beach, the clean rooms, the "college-sized" fridge and sipping wine on the deck outside our room while watching the ocean waves roll onto the beach. It's on a quiet part of the island, and yet it's close to stores and restaurants. We even came here for our honeymoon and the Hurleys surprised us with a bottle of champagne! The Hurleys are a charming couple and to us, an important part of our stay at their motel is catching up on each other's life events since our last visit. We highly recommend this place. It's a gem.

Aldo and Kathy

Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Island Guest House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Hurley's At Holgate Inn? Share your experiences!