“Perfect Weekend Getaway”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hurley's At Holgate Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Beach Haven
Philadelphia, PA
“Perfect Weekend Getaway”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This quaint little hotel provided the perfect backdrop for my quiet weekend getaway. The Hurleys were professional and kind while I was booking, and they were so delightful and pleasant during my stay, I felt like I was a guest at a friend's home.

The hotel itself is quiet, clean and intimate; I was truly sorry to leave. The best part was that their rates are SO reasonable, I am already planning my next trip back! It is definitely a great bargain for a Long Beach Island getaway!! I can't say enough good things about Hurley's.

• Liked — the room itself, plus the private deck with my own table & chairs
  • Disliked — the location was beautiful, just a little far from the main part of town
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank littlemeeghan

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed June 20, 2008

When I was faced with an extra day at the beginning of my vacation I decided that the Jersey Shore would be a nice place to spend it. After some research I decided on the Hurley's Inn at Beach Haven, LBI, and I couldn't be happier.

This is definitely a shore motel, to expect anything different just wouldn't be right for the area. The room was a reasonable size, there was a TV and a small dorm sized fridge, which was a nice surprise. The decor is 60's shore motel, again, to be expected and perfectly in tune to the rest of this small island. The bed was comfortable, there was an extra pillow and blanket in the room, and the bathroom was rather large and quite nice.

The location is fabulous!!! Just cross the street and you're at one of the cleanest, most beautiful beaches you will find on LBI! Spent most of my time there, and just loved it! The Hurley's have an outside shower/hose to clean off the sand from beachwalkers, which is nice.

The Hurleys couldn't have been nicer, from keeping the room nicely stocked to allowing me to check in early (I came in on a redeye from Denver, and boy, was I tired!!)

The motel is simple and straightforward, just a lovely place. It so completely reminds me of the shore houses and vacations of my youth. Quiet location (although all the locals tell me that's it's "off season" for a couple more days, so things would probably pick up in later June) I was very happy that I found the Hurleys and will definitely be back next time I'm on LBI.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Not really anything to NOT like about this place...
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank lindateddy
New York
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My family recently stayed at Hurley's Inn for two nights. Since we were going to be there on the day of my 10th wedding anniversary, I contacted Hurley's to see if they could help me plan a surprise vow renewal ceremony for my husband and me. They were so helpful!! Marianne helped me find the resources that I needed. Once there, Mike was so friendly and helped us with whatever we needed. We enjoyed our experience with Hurley's Inn and would stay there again. The location, right across the street from the beach, is also perfect.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — The room was a bit small for all of us, but we managed just fine.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Darnyy
Media, PA
Reviewed June 4, 2008

We spent two days at Hurley's and found it to be a very nice "beach house". It is right across the street from the beach and only a couple blocks from the bay and a tennis court. The room was comfortable and clean with a mini-fridge and cable TV. All in all it was a great place to relax and enjoy LBI. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bradleyjay34
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2007

Our total Hurleys experience was a tremendously positive one ...

Booking:
I looked on here, looked at their site and then decided to phone ... Mike the owner was so friendly, helpful and full of advice about the island as well - I called back the next day to confirm and everything was handled politely and a very friendly manner

we Arrived:
a rare grey afternoon in LBI - a little anxious that the place wouldn't be lovely - but from the moment we parked the car infront of the mauve, cheerful motel front underneath the flags and flowers and Mike welcomed us in we knew that I had made the right decision. We had an upstairs room overlooking the street and across to the ocean side - the balcony area was lovely, the road is quiet - this is the far far south of the island and it is so peaceful - the one road up the island narrows this far south and in the main all that goes past are people on bicycles, joggers, walkers, and a man in a wheelchair being towed by 4 dogs.

the Room:
was lovely - jolly decoration, very comfortable bed, the fridge was a bit loud but there was a fridge which was great so it really didn't matter, the bathroom was great and really everything was of a much higher standard than I have experienced in other American motels. Every query we had from "can we borrow a hairdryer" to "i forgot my English plug adaptor thing can you help" was catered to - the room was cleaned well each day and it was teh perfect place to unwind and recover from a day on the glorious beach or walking to watch the sunset over the 'lagoon' side

the Area:
we found to be perfect - Hurleys supply coffee and juice in the morning - so you could take a cup of coffee for a walk up the street and get a delicious fresh bagel from the shop 4 minutes walk away (the only shop this end of the island - a deli, a beach supply shop and a coffee shop all is one - then there was the National State Park - 3 miles of glorious dunes and beaches to protect the piping plovers and other animals - there was the wonderful Atlantic Ocean 30 seconds away and 2 minutes away the calm lagoon across to the mainland with lovely sunsets

amazing seafood at the Black Whale 5 mins drive north in Beach Haven, yummy breakfasts at Uncle Wills, clam chowder to eat and eat and eat for ever at Harvey Ceadars Clam Bar ... really all you could ask for

we found Long Beach Island to be a very special place and Hurleys at Holgate just made the stay even more special - so thanks to Mike and his son - and looking forward to meeting Marianne next time. We were amazed how few New Yorkers and even NJ residents seemed to know about Long Beach Island - and met no other English tourists there - so I am almost temped not to press save and tell people about this wonderful place - but they deserve the praise.

Go there - it is the best spot on the island ... and don't forget to wash the sand off your feet before you go upstairs!

I think it would be great for a family, we were just a happy couple, and most other guests seemed to be too - it isn't a wild teenage party palace - there arn't phones in the rooms but if you want Club Med or the Waldorf Astoria or a chintzy B&B you know where to go - if not - then GO TO HURLEYS.

things to look out for:
1 - the pair of ducks on the beach - so funny
2 - the Rockafellow oysters - yummy
3 - piping plovers - gorgeous

things to avoid:
1 - the Silver Mall - they sell small dead baby sharks in jam jars - I reported this to the wild life ranger who was furious they would do this on the Island
2 - sand flies - do take some insect repellent with you for strolls on the beach - they are horrible bitey beasts - and remind you are not in heaven but still merely mortal and tasty at that
3 - mosquito repellent if you go to watch the sunset over the lagoon side

things you will do:
1 - chill out
2 - have fun
3 - sleep well
4 - eat and eat and eat

• Liked — falling asleep to the sound of the ocean, the attention to detail in the decoration - a simple room made cost, the size of the bed, the spaciousness of the room, the hosts, everything really!!!!
  • Disliked — the in room fridge buzzed - so we just turned it off at night - and that we had to leave and there was no room available so we could come back again that week!!!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank throwroses
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed March 5, 2007

My husband and I have been going here every summer (and again in September, if we can) for the past 9 years. We love the proximity to the beach, the clean rooms, the "college-sized" fridge and sipping wine on the deck outside our room while watching the ocean waves roll onto the beach. It's on a quiet part of the island, and yet it's close to stores and restaurants. We even came here for our honeymoon and the Hurleys surprised us with a bottle of champagne! The Hurleys are a charming couple and to us, an important part of our stay at their motel is catching up on each other's life events since our last visit. We highly recommend this place. It's a gem.

Aldo and Kathy

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank NYMontana
long island, ny
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We stayed at Hurley's for 3 nights this past weekend. We had an amazing experience and cannot understand how anyone can complain about this wonderful place. We arrived early on Friday and were able to check in right away. The room was clean and nicely presented. Mr. Hurley turned on our fridge, gave us our tv remote and key and told us to let him know if we needed anything. He was so friendly and hospitable. Each morning when we went out we came back to a clean room with fresh towels...what more can you ask for. The hotel is right across from the beach access and the bay (along with children's playground) is a short stroll to the end of the road. It is also a short walk to the end of the island...complete with beach and view of Atlantic City. If you want to get into Beach Haven it is just 2 miles North. We are planning on returning soon.

• Liked — It felt like a home away from home.
  • Disliked — Leaving on Monday morning.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Sea Horse Motel
Sea Horse Motel
#1 of 1 in Long Beach Township
Legacy Vacation Resorts-Brigantine Beach

Been to Hurley's At Holgate Inn? Share your experiences!