Hurley's At Holgate Inn
Spray Beach Hotel(Beach Haven)
$100
$96
Jolly Roger Motel(Beach Haven)
Sea Spray Motel(Beach Haven)
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Mariner Inn(Beach Haven)
Hotels.com
All reviewsacross the streetbeach accessquiet endsouthern end of the islandliterally stepssecond floorwatch the sunriselast minuteoutdoor showermikedecklbioceanmotelsummerhostsaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Booked Hurley's on short notice for 2 night stay for a quick mid-week getaway. There are positives and negatives. Located in great part of the island, just past Beach Haven, quiet and quaint. Place is right across from path to beach. Parking is plentiful. Beach is awesome.

Most motels on LBI are horribly musty and our room had no such issue. Room is very simple with bare essentials. Small fridge and small TV worked fine. Upon closer inspection we had hair on the bed and the toilet was dirty. The toilet seat was old, beat up, stained and weathered and makes me wonder why they do not spend 20 bucks for new one. Shower barely has enough water pressure but we managed. Design and decor is not a priority here.

The queen bed was fine and comfortable as was the pillows. The biggest problem was the loud, old air conditioner just about 4 feet across from the head of the bed. Whoever sleeps on that side will both catch a draft and get a ringing in their air. It made sleeping difficult.

For the money, about a buck and a half a night, it was cheap enough compared to island rates, and OK for a nighter. We went home late the second day to for a quiet and comfortable sleep.

We ate dinner at Engleside Inn restaurant and it was fabulous and more elegant than most places. Too far to bike into town, but just a few minutes to drive. So in a pinch or on a tight budget you could do much worse than this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bruce S
Maire7, Owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

You contacted me about 5 minutes after you checked in complaining about the toilet cover, and I went upstairs to check it out and reclean if if necessary. The stain on the cover is from a previous guest who spilt nail polish remover on the cover, and which we can not remove with all the cleaning equipment you could muster. Yes, it will be replaced. I wrote you a note and left it in your room explaining that, but apparently, you don't read messages. You never once complained about hair and had you, your bed would have been redone immediately.I did notice that on my first trip to your room regarding the cover, you had the covers completely pulled back on one side of the bed but never stated a problem with it. I am glad you commented on the mattress which is approximately 7 weeks old, and should have also noticed that they are all covered in bed bug proof covers. The only thing you did was call 2 and 3x's a day requesting additonal towels, which you were provided with. The only thing the cleaning staff found strange is that the new towels were alwlays piled up unused on the dresser or chair!! As for the air conditioner, there are fins on it which can be moved upward, downward and to the sides - if you didn't know how to do that, you could have asked me in one of my towel delivery trips to your room.Although ac's can go bad quickly, this one is only in its second season . You also never once mentioned about the shower head, just needing more towels in a shower that you claim was inadequate......and when I saw you and asked if everything was okay you never responded with additional problems and had you, they would have been handled as quickly and professionally as we try to do. In fact, I gave you the info on checking out the evening before your departure, and you never said a thing. Why go home and vent your problems when they could have been addressed right there and then. Also, thank you for mentioning that the room did NOT have a MUSTY smell.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I cannot understand how there are so many positive reviews of this motel. The first room we checked into smelled musty and the shower didn't work so they moved us to another room. The second room was even worse as far as the musty smell was concerned. It was so bad my son had trouble breathing when in the room. The shower curtain rings were all rusted. The faucet in the bathroom sink was corroded and the refrigerator in the room smelled. The overall musty smell in the room was so bad we couldn't stay there. When I complained to the owner and asked for my money back, the son of the owner rudely said "just get them out of here". I do appreciate them giving us our money back under the circumstances and we were able to find better accommodations.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ScottSe70
Maire7, Owner at Hurley's At Holgate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2012

I am going to try and be as civil as possible here because this couldn't be further from the truth. The gentleman checked in and paged us that his shower head was not providing a reasonable flow. I agreed and offered to exchange it but he said he was in a hurry so I gave him another room.His family checked in and then left for about an hour and then came back. He again paged us and complained the room smelled and his son had a hard time breathing. He asked for a refund which my husband gladly gave him. Under normal circumstances I would have told him that I would only return his money if I could rent the room. I knew I could rent it in about five minutes with the amount of demand we have had this summer so I just did not want to deal with this man because I could sense he was going to be a problem. One family that witnessed the scene said they wanted to rent the "smelly" room instead because it had a little more natural sun protection than their room. The mother walked in said she couldn't smell anything. I told her they would have to wait a few minutes because my departing guests had the audacity to take showers in the room before they complained. Well my new guests had no problems whatsoever and promised to return. As far as the rust on the faucet, I am sorry but this can't happen because the faucets are chrome plated. Rust on the shower curtain rings is also untrue because they are plastic. The refigerators are cleaned with bleach before new guests arrive so that is also not true. The musty smell, I don't think so. Perhaps he smelled the moisture of the free showers he got. My rooms are cleaned thoroughly daily and I stand by them.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My mother and I were looking for a nice place to stay for a weekend with my little brother along. I found Hurley's through Tripadvisor and I'm glad I did! Just a couple steps away from the beach and located just a short drive from the hustle and bustle Hurley's was a nice place for a quick getaway. It's charming, very clean, and the staff and owners were helpful and friendly. There was ac, fridge, and a tv inside a beach themed room. It's not a brand spanking new place, and the decor is a little dated, but it was lovely all the same. The bathroom could have used a little work but it was fully functional and clean. Outside was a pretty painted patio with chairs, table, and umbrella. Bonuses: It was pretty quiet away there and you can hear the ocean at night with the windows open. It also wasn't outrageously priced. All in all, I hope to go back someday!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Elisabeth F
Reviewed July 24, 2012

All round a lovely place to stay with friendly staff and just a stones throw from the beach. Room was comfortable and well equipped, although would have loved a coffee machine. Overall a highly recommended place for that quiet getaway either for the weekend or a longer stay.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed July 19, 2012

For years I have stayed at the Hurley's Inn. It is as charming as can be and has become one of our favorite places to visit during the summer. The owners Mike and Marianne Hurley are the most friendly and professional people you will find on the Island. I especially love the beachy feel of the Inn and the rooms are always very clean and kept cool. You are steps to a great beach and should you need anything the owners daughter is always available to help. She is extremely knowledgeable about the Island and is always there to greet you with a smile! Hurley's Inn is the perfect beach get-away it is why we go back every year!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family