“Good Choice for Italian on LBI”
Review of Pinziminio

Pinziminio
Ranked #70 of 92 Restaurants in Beach Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Wayne, New Jersey
“Good Choice for Italian on LBI”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

For the record, they are not in Beach Haven. Yes, once upon a time, but not now. The current site is in an attractive, stand-alone building which provides a nice ambience inside (not the best acoustics though) with some outdoor seating as well. The restaurant is chef-owned (2) and, on a positive note, chef/owner monitored most evenings. Yes, I've found that they really care and seem genuinely interested in feedback. They have a solid menu, not overly extensive, but often supplemented by a couple of nightly specials which are typically interesting and very good. LBI survives on seasonal help, but, in my experience, Pinziminio's seems to attract, train and retain good servers. In fairness to a previous reviewer, there are always exceptions.

As pointed out by many, the eggplant appetizer is exceptional--both in taste and size. It is one of the best eggplant preparations that I've ever had....layers of thinly sliced eggplant, lightly sauced. Another favorite of mine is the penne with chicken, sausage and gorgonzola. It's not a light dish as implied by the ingredients, but it's a knockout baked combination. As a general statement, the restaurant serves large portions and, in that regard, it is a nice dish to share. Their signature sauce is tasty--a sweet twist on a putanesca, which makes its way into a number of dishes. I wish there were more fish selections on the menu, but this minor complaint is usually addressed by the specials. In my view, this is a much appreciated BYO on LBI.

• Visited August 2012

Tuckerton, New Jersey
“Nice atmosphere!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We have eaten there several times.The waiters and waitresses are always courteous and prompt! The owner has always taken the time to come by and ask about our meal! The eggplant appetizer is wonderful and large enough to share, in fact we order it for take out, add a salad and voila an easy meal at home. They could stand to put some sort of lighting on the tables, it is very dark, other than that one thing we have had nothing but great experiences there!

• Visited August 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“Oh no, Pinziminio”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We made reservations for our party of six and were seated promptly by friendly staff who brought ice buckets for our wine (it's bring your own - no corkage, Yay!) Our designated driver's soft drink was ordered three times and showed up half way through the appetizers.

We ordered calamari and eggplant to share between 6 and it was almost too much as a starter. certainly if I'd ordered the eggplant for myself I would have been taking home my main course untouched.

The calamari was perfectly cooked with a light breading and no grease. The eggplant was simply superb: wafer thin slices of egglpant with a perfectly seasoned tomato sauce and just the right balance of cheeses. There will be numerous efforts made to replicate this dish at home.

The second service foul-up came when our main courses arrived at the table before our appetizers had been cleared, resulting in a pile-up of dishes that didn't seem to worry the staff at all. Despite this the food was excellent according to my colleagues. I had chicken with Pinziminio sauce (a Puttanesca with added chilli and sultanas) which was served with Angel Hair Pasta. The balance of flavours was superb. I tried my companion's carbonara which was fresh, creamy and an excellent example of the traditional favourite.

Service foul-up number three came when a member of staff cleared away a plate when one member of our group had finished eating but the others were still eating. I am not alone in finding this extremely poor manners - one neither begins a meal til everyone is served nor clears a table til everyone is finished. It felt like we were being hurried. The waitress who took our order only returned once - to give us our bill. Plates were delivered by other staff.

There was no appetite for dessert a we were tired of shouting at each other across the table. The restaurant is a large room with a high ceiling and noise carries; a LOT. Some acoustic panels on the walls or curtains on the windows would help this immensely and make the experience more enjoyable.

In summary, the food was excellent, the décor pleasant, the price about right for what we had but the service mistakes and noise let it down as a relaxing dinner venue with friends and hence the average rating overall. The problems are easily fixed and I hope they are because I really want to try that eggplant again!

• Visited July 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food.”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The food and service were great. Wonderful bruchetta. It was very loud and difficult to talk to everyone at the table.

New York City, New York
“Loved it”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

i can only say that i had the artichoke pasta and the sauce was delicious. i'm picky when it comes to red sauce and this one was full of flavor. my husband had the baked pasta with gorgonzola cheese and was very happy with it.
the service and atmosphere were both good and we left happy.

• Visited July 2012