“Ok if you are into nostalgia” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Bentley Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Bay Head B&B and Inns
Daphne, Alabama
“Ok if you are into nostalgia”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

The innkeeper, Glenn, was gracious and made us feel welcome. The Inn is an old rennovated boarding home. Personally, I am not into nostalgia and "cute." The room was cramped but it had a cramped bathroom. Larger rooms share bathrooms. I gave up sharing when I left the military. I enjoyed the large porch. The location is convenient to the beach and Mueller's bakery.
For those that enjoy period living then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Make sure you request en suite if you want a private bath.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
bentleyinn, Owner at The Bentley Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you for the kind words. We try to make everyone feel welcomed, well cared for and at home. The Inn is decorated with it's time period in mind and was actually never a boarding house. It was built as a summer home in the late 1800's then became an inn in the 1920's. Our rooms are small (the idea back then was to have plenty of bedrooms to house family & friends instead of large bedrooms because more time was spent outdoors or on the porch or in the large rooms on the 1st floor). Some rooms are smaller than others because space had to be borrowed to create more bathrooms We do have larger rooms with private bathrooms on the 3rd floor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
La Habra, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had visited Bay Head as a kid and was interested in visiting there again on a recent trip east. My wife and I stayed 3 nights and Glenn the inn keeper could not have been more responsive and helpful. We had a great room on the second floor with a bath and direct access to the veranda. While they are small rooms, it was wonderful. It was late September and the days were still nice, so we spent what time we had outside on the veranda. Breakfast each morning was a combination of buffet and made to order eggs. Afternoon tea and sweet treat was also served. We would definitively stay there again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a second floor room with attached bath and access to the veranda. These are the Jeffrey...
1 Thank jpDills
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We loved staying at the Bentley Inn. We rented two rooms, one for my husband and I, and the the other for our three children. We shared a bathroom between us as the rooms were next to eachother with the bathroom connecting them. First, the rooms are immaculate. Beds are very comfortable. The rooms are nicely decorated with a vintage, seaside feel. We could see the ocean from our window! There is coffee very early so you can grab a cup, then walk to the shore to watch the sunrise over the ocean. By the way, the sunrise on Bay Head beach is spectacular. Hardly anyone there at that time, you feel like you've got the whole beach to yourself. Breakfast was satisfying. Service was personable. The owners are wonderful people. They treat their guests so very well. We will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank JB C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

After a very stressful week, I decided to get away by myself for a night and enjoy the beautiful weekend weather at the beach. I booked the a room a the Bentley because it is a bit closer to home than the beaches I usually go to. The price of a room with a shared bathroom, after labor day, on the last day of summer was $144.00 after taxes. I thought that was a bit high to be sharing a bathroom, but I booked the day before the trip and settled for it.
After reading so many reviews about Glenn's hospitality, I was ready for a warm welcome after a long drive and a stress-filled week. But Glenn was away and his stepdaughter took over. I asked if there were any possible discounts given for being solo and consuming only one breakfast. The answer was no, but it was worth a shot. She told me where my room was. I found it upstairs, and also found the shared bathrooms in the hall, on my own. The side door used for entering, when opened, left about two inches between door and stairs, making it difficult to maneuver luggage. I got my beach chair out of my car in the parking lot and made my way to the beach - only I realized too late that I turned the wrong way - I went north instead of south, and wasted precious time walking through the neighborhood when I could have been at the beach in two minutes. Since Bay Head is very residential and is not a town with a boardwalk, it would be helpful if the innkeepers could inform guests about the easiest beach access. The room was clean and the bed had plenty of pillows, cozy comforters and the towels were clean and plush. But the bed was a bit too hard. The porch was very nice and my room had direct access to it, which was a perk. But my room faced "Main Street", which is really Route 35, so it was very noisy. There were many construction trucks passing by in the morning since the devastation from Sandy continues to be rebuilt. The shared bathroom was not a problem at first. I have opted for shared bathrooms in other establishments in order to save money. But for $144.00 a night, I expect the shared bathroom to be clean. I have experienced cleaner shared baths in NYC. When I went to take a shower in the morning, the floor was sopping wet from the previous guest's shower, and the toilet seat was dirty! I realize that it is the guests' responsibility to follow the bathroom etiquette sign posted, but the staff should also check periodically to make sure the bathrooms are clean. I went downstairs and told a staff member, and then opted to use the bathroom down the hall. Later that morning, the stench coming out of the bathroom when I walked by was enough to make me ill. Again, I know this is the guests' responsibility. There are plenty of sprays in the bathroom for guests to use. Breakfast was ok - nothing to write home about. After breakfast, I happened to read the policy brochure in my room. I was really surprised to see that the inn does not offer parking, beach badges, porch access or toilets after check out! Most places I have stayed at the Jersey Shore offer all of these comforts after check out. In this case, since my stay was post season, my only issue was the toilet, since there are no public facilities in Bay Head. So I packed up my car and headed to Spring Lake. On a positive note, the inn is in walking distance to Theresa's, where I enjoyed a lovely meal and to Curti's, where I was able to pick up some wine and water. Overall, if the room had been about $40 less expensive, I would have felt more satisfied. I paid too much money to have to endure a dirty shared bathroom and a less than friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Livingsocialcb
bentleyinn, Owner at The Bentley Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We do agree that maneuvering luggage can be a pain sometimes. The Inn is very old and at this point changing the stairway is not an option. If a guest needs help with her suitcase, we are happy to help.

We were under the impression that everyone knew the ocean was to the east (we are only 3 houses from the beach and it can be seen from the inn).

Now that we are in off season, the rebuilding after Hurricane Sandy has made Main Ave. (Route 35) busy with truck traffic. There is not a beach area in NJ or NY that is not busy rebuilding right now. It is a temporary but necessary situation.

Our shared bathrooms are cleaned completely every day and touched up from time to time throughout the day. Rarely will we get a complaint about a shared bath. Guests are aware that they are not the only ones using them and do apply the suggested “etiquette.” We do keep deodorizing sprays and sanitizing wipes in each bathroom for our guests. I am sorry that this guest did experience an inconsiderate person using the bath before them.

After check-out the parking, beach badges, porch access and toilets are for use by new check-ins. How would an arriving guest feel if we told them there is no parking available and no badges available and past guests are using their bathrooms. Parking is a precious commodity at the shore but Bay Head has free on street parking. We always welcome our guests to use our outdoor showers all day on the day of departure.

I am proud of the job my step daughter does running the inn when I am away. She is friendly, attentive, professional and very accommodating. She has been with us working at the inn since we bought it 12 years ago and is a top notch innkeeper. She even helped this guest find her very valuable ring… I think that’s pretty friendly.
Hellertown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

Have been coming here for years, my sister and I decided to spend a few days this time. Always stay at The Bentley...close to,the beach, rooms are very clean, Glenn is super friendly and loves talking with all his guests when he can. There are plenty of choices for breakfast. the wrap around porch is really nice and some rooms have direct porch access which is really nice. Sometimes when it's cooler outside, it's nice to sit downstairs in the sunroom and curl up with a book. Plan on coming back as long as the Inn is there. love it!

Room Tip: There really isn't a bad choice in the Inn, route 35 ( main st. ) is a busy road, so with your a...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Bentley 9/7/2013. The rooms and facilities are spotless and Glenn the Innkeeper is quite friendly and gracious. The Inn is a very short walk to a wonderful beach. Beach chairs and towels and badges are provided and bikes are there for your use also.
The Inn's website accurately describes each room and has good photos.
If you are looking for a stay in Bay Head then this establishment is an excellent choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hop Bottom, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Located just a block from the beach, this Bed and Breakfast is a jewel of a find for individuals or family looking for a quiet stay at the New Jersey shore. Pricing includes beach badges, towels and chairs, and after you include the abundant breakfast options, and late afternoon delicious homemade treats - the room rate is more than fair. This has become my go to place for a weekend get away, Glen and his staff make you feel right at home! I willl continue to be a repeat customer as the location is just fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms that directly access the wrap around porch are great when visiting with other couples/family m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Hewitt Wellington
#1 of 6 in Spring Lake
Hilton Garden Inn Lakewood
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & ...
#9 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
The Tower Cottage B&B
The Tower Cottage B&B
#1 of 6 in Point Pleasant Beach

Been to The Bentley Inn? Share your experiences!