“Impressive and wonderful”

The Grenville
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bay Head
“Impressive and wonderful”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I were going to the beach for a night and needed a place to stay. We randomly picked The Grenville and couldn't have been any happier. I was planning on taking her to dinner and we chose the hotel restaurant because of convenience. It turned out to be one of the best meals we ever had. The Shrimp Bisque was easily the best soup I've ever had. It's a little pricey but the freshness and portion size is to die for. The hardest part was trying to figure out how to get the leftovers home safely with a 4 hour drive. The TV's could use an upgrading. It wasn't prime beach weather so time in the room was warranted. I would recommend this hotel for any couple looking to have a romantic getaway. It's less than a block from the beach and the courtesy of the staff was superior.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Andrew17055

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was able to secure a last minute, one night stay here at what I consider to be a great price for the location. It was a festival weekend but a one night stay was not an issue. It was very quiet and the proximity to the beach was superb. Makes a late night walk on the beach easy and fun.

Owners were very friendly and I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was lovely and the family suite we got was small but perfectly acceptable, clean and pleasant to be in. The beach is just a 30 second/one block walk away (you do not need to cross the main road as one reviewer suggested, just a small street). The general area is very nice and obviously home to some rather wealthy people. I'm writing this in September 2013 and you would never have guessed that Sandy walloped the area less than a year ago, aside from the fact that everything looks spanking new after the rebuild.

The free breakfast was a bit of a damp squib - I've had better ones in economy hotels for half the room price. We did not try the restaurant, although the menu looked good.

I agree about the unfriendliness of the male owner who indeed does not look up from his computer to talk to you (or simply just to ignore you). If you don't like talking to the general public then owning a hotel is probably a bad idea. At least put someone friendly out front! (Such as the friendly young lady who was on reception when we arrived, or the lady who I presume was his (ex?) wife). That said, I came to stay at the hotel, not to engage in banter with the owners, so I don't really care.

I would definitely come back to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013
Cortland, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I searched for a nice place to stay for our 30th anniversary where we could bring our dog and be close to the beaches - The Grenville was absolutely PERFECT!
We didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant, but the staff was very helpful and friendly. We hope to someday be able to stay there again.

Tina B.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tina B
Denville, New Jersey
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Grenville was a great place to stay. I was there for a weekend and loved every thing about this place. I had made reservations only because I heard the food was amazing and to my surprise it was more than amazing. Both my husband and myself had a wonderful dinner. I ordered chilean sea bass and it was the best I ever had! Since that day I have been looking for a place that makes this dish and I cant find anyone on this planet that can make it as good as The Grenville. It was that good! As far as staying overnight it was very pleasant and enjoyable. I will go back any day. As far as people who make such complaints and comments as those I had read on this sight they are probably people who complain everywhere they go, everyday, cant listen to people like that they will bring you down, and who needs that?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa P
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The historic Grenville Hotel is a beautiful victorian that has the perfect location for a beach vacation. We also have friends in the area so staying at the Grenville was the perfect choice for us. The Grenville owners and staff are friendly, pleasant, and there to offer their assistance if needed. My husband and I had a great stay and we definitely will be going back, and would recommend this grand old hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing beach stay. Also plan on eating at the Grenville, every dish is prepared to perfection and meals on the porch are very relaxing. Love this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We sold our beach house before sandy and have been staying weekends only at the beach... The Grenville , this past weekend was perfect. The staff is beyond courteous and to our great surprise, we can bring along our golden retriever next trip. We are looking forward to our next visit. Maybe next weekend. Next time...the family suite!

Room Tip: Room 406 excellent!