“Nice stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bay Head
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel itself was lovely and the family suite we got was small but perfectly acceptable, clean and pleasant to be in. The beach is just a 30 second/one block walk away (you do not need to cross the main road as one reviewer suggested, just a small street). The general area is very nice and obviously home to some rather wealthy people. I'm writing this in September 2013 and you would never have guessed that Sandy walloped the area less than a year ago, aside from the fact that everything looks spanking new after the rebuild.

The free breakfast was a bit of a damp squib - I've had better ones in economy hotels for half the room price. We did not try the restaurant, although the menu looked good.

I agree about the unfriendliness of the male owner who indeed does not look up from his computer to talk to you (or simply just to ignore you). If you don't like talking to the general public then owning a hotel is probably a bad idea. At least put someone friendly out front! (Such as the friendly young lady who was on reception when we arrived, or the lady who I presume was his (ex?) wife). That said, I came to stay at the hotel, not to engage in banter with the owners, so I don't really care.

I would definitely come back to stay here.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cortland, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I searched for a nice place to stay for our 30th anniversary where we could bring our dog and be close to the beaches - The Grenville was absolutely PERFECT!
We didn't get a chance to try out the restaurant, but the staff was very helpful and friendly. We hope to someday be able to stay there again.

Tina B.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tina B
Denville, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Grenville was a great place to stay. I was there for a weekend and loved every thing about this place. I had made reservations only because I heard the food was amazing and to my surprise it was more than amazing. Both my husband and myself had a wonderful dinner. I ordered chilean sea bass and it was the best I ever had! Since that day I have been looking for a place that makes this dish and I cant find anyone on this planet that can make it as good as The Grenville. It was that good! As far as staying overnight it was very pleasant and enjoyable. I will go back any day. As far as people who make such complaints and comments as those I had read on this sight they are probably people who complain everywhere they go, everyday, cant listen to people like that they will bring you down, and who needs that?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa P
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The historic Grenville Hotel is a beautiful victorian that has the perfect location for a beach vacation. We also have friends in the area so staying at the Grenville was the perfect choice for us. The Grenville owners and staff are friendly, pleasant, and there to offer their assistance if needed. My husband and I had a great stay and we definitely will be going back, and would recommend this grand old hotel to anyone looking for a relaxing beach stay. Also plan on eating at the Grenville, every dish is prepared to perfection and meals on the porch are very relaxing. Love this place!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We sold our beach house before sandy and have been staying weekends only at the beach... The Grenville , this past weekend was perfect. The staff is beyond courteous and to our great surprise, we can bring along our golden retriever next trip. We are looking forward to our next visit. Maybe next weekend. Next time...the family suite!

Room Tip: Room 406 excellent!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

There really is not enough space for me to write all the great things I have to say about The Grenville Hotel as well as about Renee, Larry, and the entire staff. The hotel is a lovely historic Victorian a mere block from a gorgeous beach. The beach is never crowded as the area is comprised of large Victorian or Victorian styled houses with beautiful gardens, and the water on the beach is crystal clear. If you don't believe me, believe the Dolphins and Rays who only choose the cleanest waters to breed in, and who we saw in schools off-shore mating and raising their young. It was so gorgeous I would wake up at sunrise to take a swim before having breakfast; it was heaven.

My wife and I had never stayed in the Grenville before, or in Bay Head for that matter, and called for reservations based upon the many fine reviews. We knew we were in great hands from the outset as the entire staff, particularly Renee, was so incredibly nice and accommodating. I’m not old but I have a very serious health condition that can be debilitating and is always a challenge. I mentioned it to Renee in passing merely to see if the accommodations could work for me. Renee voluntarily went out of her way to find the perfect room for my wife and I based on my condition. I've never run into a hotel staff that has made such efforts. Renee made sure our room included things like support bars in the bathroom so as to prevent the chance of my falling and selected a room that was right next to the elevator. The King sized bed was a dream. My wife and I are used to hotel beds that are poor to mediocre and give us back aches, but we agreed that the bed in our room was the most comfortable in any hotel we've stayed in. There was a very nice futon couch as well in the room which opened into a very comfortable second bed as well. It was great to lounge on, to grab a nap on, or for me to sleep on if I was having a bad night and didn't want to keep my wife up.

The ultimate testament to how great our trip at the Grenville Hotel was is that we didn't want to leave. We booked for two nights starting on a Monday, and then decided we just had to stay over on Wednesday. We then decided we couldn't possibly leave after only three nights and stayed over on Thursday. They were booked solid starting on Friday, which is just as well as we might still be there today, a month later, if there had been room for us. It is definitely worth noting that the Grenville Hotel is pet friendly. We have a sweet little 9 lbs Shih Tzu but this usually means we have to stay in mediocre hotels to have him travel with us. To be able to stay in any of the nicest hotels and have him stay with us is something we've never experienced before. We always had to make a choice in the past; a very nice hotel and no Sage (our dog), or mediocre accommodations with our dog. It was so nice not to have to make that choice or compromise, but we found that we didn't have to make any compromises staying at the Grenville, it was a great trip at a great hotel. As a final note; the restaurant is amazing as well. Thanks to the entire restaurant staff and especially the spectacular Chef Juan. I've written a separate review of the restaurant in the restaurant section. It is without question well worth eating at The Grenville Restaurant even if you aren't staying at the Grenville Hotel as the food and service are top-notch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The room was really nice and the bed was surprisingly comfortable! As soon as I walked in I felt welcomed. Checking in was easy and went smoothly. My room was clean and The blankets were soft and plush. The staff was very polite and I enjoyed my night there! It truly was a nice, pleasant, great experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Sand Pebble Motor Lodge
Sand Pebble Motor Lodge
#4 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & ...
#9 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
The Bentley Inn
The Bentley Inn
#1 of 3 in Bay Head

Been to The Grenville? Share your experiences!