“Needs alot of work...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bay Head
California
“Needs alot of work...”
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Definitely believe the reviews that are on this site. Let's put it this way....our dinner in the dining room was very good and we had a great time down in Bay Head. The unfortunate thing is that this hotel doesn't do all the little things you would expect from a classic inn. I didn't mind the size of the room but the open space heater/AC is so annoying. It's loud and just looks awful. The sheets are like sleeping on sandpaper. I mean really....invest in some high quality sheets for the guests. The staff is average. They were nice but didn't really go out of their way to welcome the guests. Also, I'm not sure why they have two large wine refrigerators in the lobby. I must say I was disappointed in the Grenville. I don't think they are far from being a great spot but they need to do the little things better. If the manager would spend more time going the extra mile at the inn instead of writing rebuttals to bad reviews on this site the place would be well recommended.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank Stevshvil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 2, 2007

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor we were somewhat worried about what we'd find. On the plus side, our dinner in the dining room was wonderful, even though ours was the only table occupied, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms, however, left something to be desired. Decor is decidedly shabby, pictures were missing from the wall - nails remained behind, furniture is worn and has seen better days, and the portable air conditioner was large and noisy (we called it the nuclear power plant). Although the outside is attractive, the lobby has a hodge-podge of functions - reception desk, bar, large ugly cold drink machine, and a couple of old chairs. The Grenvile needs a facelift!

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Gugi9

Travelers are raving about these Bay Head hotels

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 10, 2007

We booked a room at the Grenville in March of 2006 for Oct.2007. Just before leaving home I checked out the trip advisor site to see what the reviews were like. Some of them were not very complimentary and I was a little nervous because we had recommended the Grenville to other family members.
I am happy to say we had a great experience. The rooms were clean and charming. The staff was very friendly . The beach was right around the corner.
We stayed for 5 days and did upgrade to a larger room.
If you are looking for THE RITZ this is not the place for you. If you are looking for something different and quaint you will not be disappointed.

Stayed October 2007
wisconsin
Reviewed September 3, 2007

The Grenville looks like a charming B&B from the outside, but inside this purple firetrap looks, feels and smells more like a dark, raunchy roadside motel. Sure, the tattered carpets, bargain basement furnishings and dusty rose tones weren't to my taste, but when my infant's bottle rolled under the bed I threw up in my mouth. The only thing historic was the decades old dirt and crumbs... oh yeah, and the thin, pilled sheets. To top it off, a poor hotel employee came to our door at 10pm to change the batteries on the smoke detector. C'mon, owners! Very classy. For two itchy nights I dreamt of bedbugs scrurrying away from a ghastly hotel fire. Do yourself a favor, stay anywhere else.

• Liked — Nice exterior and decent location
  • Disliked — Interior is dirty and worn down in a 1970s klnd of way. Not historic.
  • Stayed August 2007
1 Thank WisGoGirl
New Jersey
Reviewed July 28, 2007

I called to reserve a room for 3 for July 4th and 5th – 2 adults and 1 child. I was told I could have a level 4 room which would have a queen bed and a pullout sofa for $219 per night. We arrived at the hotel on Wednesday evening and were assigned to a room on the 4th floor. After transporting our luggage to the room, we discover that the room only sleeps 2. Please note that all 3 of us were at the desk to check in. I go back to the desk and get a room that sleeps 3 on the 2nd floor and have to move our luggage there.

In order to use the pullout sofa, it must be moved to a different spot in the room. My son climbs into the bed and says that the sheets
are full of sand. Given that we did not go in sand the whole day, I knew the sand was not from his feet! Obviously the sheets had not been changed. The mattress on the pullout was also terrible. When using the bathroom that evening – it is also clear that the hand towels had been used by a prior guest and there is used soap in the soap dish.

Unfortunately for us, my son was sick all night (he ended up in the hospital!) and we needed to go home and could not stay for the 2 night minimum. I asked the manager on duty if she could accommodate either a refund or a credit for another night but was told no way we have a 2 night policy and that is it. I wrote a letter to the owners about my experience but as of this note have received no response!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — People that worked there
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank 30HockeyMom
Seaside Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Years ago I ate a wonderful lunch at the Grenville and decided it would be the perfect place for my wedding dinner of 10 people and a nice place for my in-laws and husband and I to stay for three nights. Needless to say, I am still fighting to get our $600 back because
1. Though they offered to leave a key for my fiance outside the hotel because he was flying in after hours from over seas, none was left and he was out in the car from 3am-7:30am.
2. My in-laws were never given the soap I requested for them because it was delivered to the wrong room (we were there on a Weds. off season, how confused could they be when they only have 29 rooms)
3. There was no continental breakfast set up by the time we decided to leave 8:45am
4. The staff refused to provide me with the name of the owner so that I might write him/her a letter because they told me over the phone it had been the owner that left the key for my fiance on the front door.
Needless to say Stay at the White Sands up the block and eat a fabulous meal at the Atlantic Seafood Bar and Grill (Seaside Park) I am a local that is most assuredly urging others to stay away...there are so many great places. The Grenville is sadly no longer one of them.

• Liked — The outside of the hotel
  • Disliked — The lack of apology when the staff neglected to open the front door for an overseas traveler
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away Beauty is only on the outside of the hotel, not the inside
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank robinsails2
bryanbod, front desk manager at The Grenville, responded to this review, November 16, 2006
It is unfortunate that the fiance arrived so late. Arrangements for his arrival during the night and entry to the hotel were discussed with us by the Bride to Be earlier that evening. The key to enter the Hotel was available, and a contact within the hotel was also available by telephone. The front doorbell was working. At 6AM The groom spoke to the night clerk in the lobby and asked for his parents room. The key had been used to enter the hotel. It was later found in the garbage inside the hotel. Perhaps the bride should have reviewed her instructions with the groom. Regardless, entry to the hotel was made by the guest. Our security tape shows the four guests in the corridor and the elevator. In the morning they left upset that he arrived so late and did not use his room saying he could not get inside. Their stay of several days and their party was cancelled without notice to us. We are sorry the groom arrived so late but that was not our fault. That day we tried calling the guest on her phone but she said she was too busy to discuss this matter. We did provide enrty to the hotel. Continental Breakfast is served to guests at their tables, not set up as a buffet during the week.
south jersey
Reviewed November 12, 2006

we saw the advertisement for the Grenvilles Sunday Brunch Buffet. We knew they had won numerous awards and some of our friends kept telling us how terrific the food is. We made reservations for the whole family (23 of us). We were seated on a very nicely set long table. The Food Buffet was very large with plenty of items to choose from. The normal breakfast items were there and then there were several lunch types like fish, chicken, and pasta. The sauces were very interesting and definitely not the dulldrum average things. Lots of thought, and preparation and quality foods were presented. The desserts and fresh fruit were very well arranged and replenished as needed. Mind you our group was large so restocking was needed after we went up! THE CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN WAS A HIT WITH THE KIDS AND THE STRAWBERRIES WERE HUGE! I must say go and try the place for yourself. You will be glad you did. There are not many Buffets with classy atmosheres and quality foods left. The price is right!!!!!!

• Liked — elegant presentation for quality food at fair prices
  • Disliked — getting full too quickly and could not eat everything
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy this place with lots of friends and family. they don't rush you
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
Boardwalk Beach Inn
Boardwalk Beach Inn
#6 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & ...
#10 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
Pelican Point Motel
Pelican Point Motel
#2 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
The Bentley Inn
The Bentley Inn
#1 of 3 in Bay Head

Been to The Grenville? Share your experiences!