“Uninspired menu aspiring to NY prices”
Review of 3 West

3 West
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: From the smoky wood flavors of seasonal appetizers and entrees, to the finely executed desserts, we at 3 West strive to keep customers coming back for more. A spacious, high-ceilinged barroom is one of three dining rooms characterized by warm shades and textures of brick, copper and rich dark woods. The middle dining room, which incorporates mission touches like a tray ceiling crisscrossed with polished wood slats and light fixtures in the shape of drums lined with rice paper. One wall offers a glassed-in view of the kitchen, another sports wine bottles in beautiful wood cubbies. The wine cellar dining area which consists of stonewalls and wine vaults surrounds an elegant mahogany table which accommodates up to fourteen guests. A seasonal 'New American Style' cuisine is as equally appealing as the surroundings. Our extensive boutique wine list, comprises smart choices and a wide-range of prices.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

After a couple of visits to 3 West my husband and I have found nothing to draw us back there again. While there was nothing terribly wrong with the food, the service or the atmosphere, it all seems formulaic and uninspired. In each of our visits we had an awkward experience at the host's station from having to break through a cluster of staff people milling about it to distracted and nearly distainful greetings other times. The menu features unremarkable dishes that are prepared without flair. The salads, while certainly fresh, seemed mass produced and lacked subtlety. Recently my scallops were overcooked and so was my husband's hamburger. The lentils served with the scallops were overpowered by smoky bacon. The pommes frites served with the burger were soggy. "Clumsy" is the best word I can choose to describe the preparation. Sure, the rustic decor and fireplace at first seem inviting, but a closer look makes it all seem, again, formulaic and ultimately sterile. Having said this, each time we've been there we've found the place hopping with people. The bar is always crowded though the prices keep the patrons mostly middle-aged. We did not have terrible experiences at 3 West but see no reason to return.

Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Great food and great atmosphere. Will definitely go again. Look forward to taking guests from out-of-town.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I love going to 3West with my fiance. We enjoy sitting by the bart tables, for drinks and dinner. Great ambiance, love the fire place, good food and service is always fantastic.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had a long awaited dinner with my wife's and my families and it was a total disappointment. The service was incredibly slow and not particularly attentive. My brother-in-law felt like they were just trying to sell more wine by dragging out our meal. My steak was undercooked and yes, I know what Medium Rare means, I have a history in fine dining restaurants. My wife's order was incorrect and her onion soup was incredibly bland (needed salt at the very least). The only good thing was the decor and ambiance. Otherwise, this was a total let down and a very costly one at that.

1  Thank Marley S
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Having heard good things about 3 West we decided to try this local restaurant. It was not a good experience. The prices and completely pretentious welcome by both the hostesses and servers weren't enough to scare us off. Oddly, we were asked for a first and last name and telephone number before we were seated. There was no wait for a table and I can't imagine why they would require this information. But I do wish they'd call and ask me about my experience.

The menu included some pretty eclectic offerings but was not particularly well balanced with choices. I found it difficult to find something that sounded appetizing and finally settled on the soup of the day and a Cobb salad. Despite being aggressively greeted by one of our servers, we waited a VERY long time for one of them to return and take our order.

One very distracting thing I noticed while waiting was that the music being played in the background was overly loud and a style that was an unusual choice for the ambiance they were obviously shooting for. The acoustics of the room were so strange that a table of six on the other side of the room made me practically jump out of my seat when they erupted in laughter. I've never experienced anything quite like this in a restaurant or anywhere else. When our waiter finally arrived to take our order, neither my husband nor I could hear a word he said with the music and background noise in the room. And I will add that less than half the tables in the room were occupied.

The food ranged from "nothing spectacular" to "would have sent it back if I wasn't starving". The soup of the day was indistinguishable from Wegman's canned minestrone with a few carrot chips and a crouton added and entirely too salty. The Cobb salad had no up-side except that the avocado was fresh and ripe. I was expecting a typical Cobb salad with turkey and hard boiled egg. Instead I got bagged salad greens, a few tiny scatterings of blue cheese crumbles and chick peas. Don't get me wrong, I love chick peas and the menu clearly said the salad contained them. It did not mention what was missing from the salad I had ordered as my dinner.

My husband's entree was a pork stroganoff dish and he was satisfied with his meal. Everything was overpriced for what it was and I traveled the five minutes back home and made a sandwich.

Overall, this was a very disappointing experience I will not repeat.

1  Thank Deborah L