“Now called the Persian Tea Room”
Review of Narenj - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Narenj
Cuisines: Persian
Draper, Utah
“Now called the Persian Tea Room”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Had lunch here last week because its near my office and we like trying new places/cuisines. It was a very pleasant surprise. Tried the appetizer platter (4 choices) and all were good with the eggplant being exceptional. Then had Persian Barley Soup and it was also very good with a great assortment of flavors and tastes that all came thru. Shared a Chicken dish and Lamb Kabobs and both were fine, with some flavored rice and grilled vegetables as accompaniments. Took a long time for check but that was only drawback. Will definitely try again and sample other varied dishes.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jack M

Cold Spring, New York
“A big disappointment”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My sister had never eaten at a Persian restaurant and we were treating her. I have done Persian cooking at home and know what it is supposed to taste like. But the food was bland and not well cooked. The lamb kabob was tough (obviously not marinated) with no vegetables included. The vegetarian kabob was simply grilled vegetables --nothing Persian about it. The basmati rice was dry and not cooked with a crust or made into a pilaf (which is done with almost all Persian rice dishes). The salad was iceberg lettuce with a scattering of radish and other dry vegetables--no dressing. I had to ask the server for sauces (not volunteered) and they helped somewhat compensate for the lack of taste. I wonder if they ever had heard of avieh--the cinnamony and rose petal spice that goes into almost all Persian dishes. The whole experience was made worse by the fact that the food is NOT cheap--for three, the bill came to over $100. (That included a disappointing appetizer sampler, Turkish coffee, and minimal desserts.)

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank LAEwen
Dutchess County NY USA
“Very good Persian food, convenient location”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

There aren't a heck of a lot of interesting restaurants in Basking Ridge (a lot more in surrounding towns like Morristown and Parsippany) but this new Persian restaurant is pleasurable. I ate there twice a week or two back. The food was very good and plentiful. The first time I had an appetizer platter -- you can choose any four -- and the baba ghannouj, hummous, spinach pie, and tahdig were all good , and I really like the fresh bread. The second time I came with a Middle Eastern colleague and he also very much enjoyed it.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank HudsonValleyNY
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Persian in the Suburbs”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Travel is made bearable by discovering restaurants while in unfamiliar places.

I found this restaurant completely by accident. Since I am a big fan of rest-of-world cuisine, I was happy to give them a try and can now recommend this family-owned restaurant to you.

Particulars:

Well appointed. You can sit inside or outside; outside was very popular so I took a table inside, where I had no wait time. The owners clearly invested well in the furnishings and have created an above-the-norm place to enjoy a meal. After all, environment is part of the presentation, and presentation is a big part of the experience.

THE FOOD: On my first visit, I had Adas Polo, which is a shank of lamb (on the bone) served with basmati rice mixed with lentils and raisins, topped with crispy fried onions. The shank is about the size of a turkey drumstick, presented skin off and trimmed. The meat was very moist and pretty much fell off the bone; it had a strong flavor (if you like lamb, this was really good lamb). The basmati was terrific; if you have any experience cooking long grain rice, you know it can be very hard to get it to come out fluffy. I don’t know where they got their raisins, but they sure aren’t out of a Sun Maid box. I also had Tahdig as an appetizer, which was billed as “the coveted crispy rice topped with a stew.” The stew was good (Fesenjoon, chicken in a pomegranate and walnut sauce); the crispy rice wasn't as appealing to me.

On my second visit, I had skewered chicken over basmati with sauteed sourberries and sliced pistachios. Again, a very excellent dinner.

Dinner with an appetizer or salad is about $25 before tip. Many other more familiar things on the menu (dolmeh, falafel, sambosas, spinach pie).,The rosewater ice cream is indescribable, so just trust me on this and save room.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank 3kids3kats
new jersey
“rudely treated, terrible service”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

we decided on this restaurant for our anniversary dinner because we are REPEAT customers, even bringing parties of 8 in for business, and in the last 5 times we went, things were okay. not this time.

we entered...no hostess...a busboy/waiter came and met us, and "waved at" (motioned toward) a table for us to choose. perhaps he was covering for other staff, but things only got worse after this anyway. we sat.......finally the manager (?) came-silently put two paper menus on the table, i said hello (expecting of course for him to recognize us), he said NOTHING and turned away. not a word; very rude. again...we waited....and waited......and waited............looked around, looked for a waiter, watched the manager (or whatever his role is) IGNORE us............it was the RUDEST most indignant treatment of repeat customers i have ever seen. nobody came to talk to us, nobody even ACKNOWLEDGED that we were there.......(even if to say, as is CUSTOMARY normal protocol !! with busy or unusually understaffed restaurants, "i'll be with you soon" , or ANY recognition of our presence at all). it was so glaringly and blatantly rude as we sat there alone, with no service. it was not only uncomfortable, but left a very distasteful feeling. our menus were down, we were ready to order, and still neither the busboy/waiter/host nor the manager ever came to our table to take an order, or to answer questions. and it wasn't even that busy-one table in the front, and about 3 or 4 booths-that was it. the rude, IMPOLITE feeling we experienced no longer DESERVED to be dignified with any more patience or waiting. we finally got up and left (after waiting a LONG time for our presence to be acknowledged or to be spoken to). we slowly made our way to the door, and still-no attention as we looked back.

are we ever sorry we had planned on celebrating our special day at this restaurant. our nite was spoiled, and narenj is responsible for the nasty feeling they left with us.

• Visited August 2012