“Very good Persian food, convenient location”
Review of Narenj - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Narenj
Cuisines: Persian
Reviewed March 17, 2013

There aren't a heck of a lot of interesting restaurants in Basking Ridge (a lot more in surrounding towns like Morristown and Parsippany) but this new Persian restaurant is pleasurable. I ate there twice a week or two back. The food was very good and plentiful. The first time I had an appetizer platter -- you can choose any four -- and the baba ghannouj, hummous, spinach pie, and tahdig were all good , and I really like the fresh bread. The second time I came with a Middle Eastern colleague and he also very much enjoyed it.

1  Thank HudsonValleyNY

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Travel is made bearable by discovering restaurants while in unfamiliar places.

I found this restaurant completely by accident. Since I am a big fan of rest-of-world cuisine, I was happy to give them a try and can now recommend this family-owned restaurant to you.

Particulars:

Well appointed. You can sit inside or outside; outside was very popular so I took a table inside, where I had no wait time. The owners clearly invested well in the furnishings and have created an above-the-norm place to enjoy a meal. After all, environment is part of the presentation, and presentation is a big part of the experience.

THE FOOD: On my first visit, I had Adas Polo, which is a shank of lamb (on the bone) served with basmati rice mixed with lentils and raisins, topped with crispy fried onions. The shank is about the size of a turkey drumstick, presented skin off and trimmed. The meat was very moist and pretty much fell off the bone; it had a strong flavor (if you like lamb, this was really good lamb). The basmati was terrific; if you have any experience cooking long grain rice, you know it can be very hard to get it to come out fluffy. I don’t know where they got their raisins, but they sure aren’t out of a Sun Maid box. I also had Tahdig as an appetizer, which was billed as “the coveted crispy rice topped with a stew.” The stew was good (Fesenjoon, chicken in a pomegranate and walnut sauce); the crispy rice wasn't as appealing to me.

On my second visit, I had skewered chicken over basmati with sauteed sourberries and sliced pistachios. Again, a very excellent dinner.

Dinner with an appetizer or salad is about $25 before tip. Many other more familiar things on the menu (dolmeh, falafel, sambosas, spinach pie).,The rosewater ice cream is indescribable, so just trust me on this and save room.

1  Thank 3kids3kats
Reviewed August 5, 2012

we decided on this restaurant for our anniversary dinner because we are REPEAT customers, even bringing parties of 8 in for business, and in the last 5 times we went, things were okay. not this time.

we entered...no hostess...a busboy/waiter came and met us, and "waved at" (motioned toward) a table for us to choose. perhaps he was covering for other staff, but things only got worse after this anyway. we sat.......finally the manager (?) came-silently put two paper menus on the table, i said hello (expecting of course for him to recognize us), he said NOTHING and turned away. not a word; very rude. again...we waited....and waited......and waited............looked around, looked for a waiter, watched the manager (or whatever his role is) IGNORE us............it was the RUDEST most indignant treatment of repeat customers i have ever seen. nobody came to talk to us, nobody even ACKNOWLEDGED that we were there.......(even if to say, as is CUSTOMARY normal protocol !! with busy or unusually understaffed restaurants, "i'll be with you soon" , or ANY recognition of our presence at all). it was so glaringly and blatantly rude as we sat there alone, with no service. it was not only uncomfortable, but left a very distasteful feeling. our menus were down, we were ready to order, and still neither the busboy/waiter/host nor the manager ever came to our table to take an order, or to answer questions. and it wasn't even that busy-one table in the front, and about 3 or 4 booths-that was it. the rude, IMPOLITE feeling we experienced no longer DESERVED to be dignified with any more patience or waiting. we finally got up and left (after waiting a LONG time for our presence to be acknowledged or to be spoken to). we slowly made our way to the door, and still-no attention as we looked back.

are we ever sorry we had planned on celebrating our special day at this restaurant. our nite was spoiled, and narenj is responsible for the nasty feeling they left with us.

3  Thank sirena19881
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is the first time I had been to a persian restaurant. It is easily accessible via I78. The restaurant has nice staff and the interesting part is when you order they don't note it down but remember it. We were around 10 office colleagues and to our surprise every single order was rightly served. Food is mostly Kabab based platters - with mix of fruits and vegetables. I oreder a chicken kabab based rice portion with grilled Tomato and peeled oranges. Liked it very much. Will plan for sometime to go with my family.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Tonight we drove to our favorite Persian restaurant, Negeen Persian Grill, located in Summit, NJ, and found it closed. So, we decided to try the other Persian restaurant in Central NJ - Narenj Persian Grill. Having lived in Tehran, Iran for two years during high school (during the Shah's realm), I consider myself knowledgeable in Persian cuisine. Unfortunately, Narenj was not quite up to the standard of a good Persian restaurant. Service is rarely ever the centerpiece of a good Persian eating establishment (its all about the food), but the staff at Narenj was even sub par among Persian restaurants. Our waitress seemed disinterested and disengaged. By the time she bothered to check on our dinners, we were already three quarters through our meal. A more serious lapse occurred when my soup arrived at the same time as my main course. When I mentioned this to the server, he merely looked at me and then left. As a whole, my spouse and I rate the food of Narenj was average and we are being somewhat generous with that rating. My partner's appetizer, the Borani, which was sliced fried eggplant mixed with our homemade yogurt and our special blend of spices, was very delicious. And my soup, a national dish akin to France's onion soup - Ash Reshteh, made with reshteh (very thin noodles), kashk (whey-like dairy product), herbs such as parsley, spinach, dill, spring onion ends and chick peas, kidney beans, onions, dried mint, garlic, oil, salt and pepper, was really very good. Unfortunately, both of our main courses were below average. Jacki's Kabob-e-Kubideh, which is marinated ground sirloin kebob over saffron rice, was greasy and was not properly marinated. She described it as a weakly spiced hamburger. While I ate the Khoresht-e-Gheimeh, which is a well known Persian stew served over rice. The lime included in the dish overpowered all other flavors and must be considered it a failure. Another positive that pushed this restaurant into an average rating was the dessert. The baklava was quite good. So, to sum up, compared to Negeen, Narenj's main courses were a distant second. So if you live in Central New Jersey and want to give Persian cuisine a try, I would stick to the appetizers and dessert..

1  Thank fred_shahrooz