“I keep going back”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Love this little local Thai French fusion restaurant. It's BYOB and there is a handy liquor store right next door if you forgot. The menu is a little pricey for some of the entrees but the food is always fresh and delicious . I love the mussels, Thai shrimp roll, and fois gras appetizers. I love the red curry with chicken. Everything is always fresh and full of flavor . Reservations are a must got the weekends though. I will continue to go back.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

A great eating venue, Origin Thai has wonderful appetizers, salads and entrees that are sure to please. Decor is great, lots of water features, the restrooms have most unusual sinks, which add to the overall experience of this restaurant. Although a bit pricey, I would still consider it a reasonable cost for a good meal. The wait staff are all pleasant and accommodating.

The only negative comment that I might offer is that the acoustics are such that it can get very noisy in the restaurant, especially when parents have uncontrollable children or if there are large parties dining. That said, I will continue to visit and enjoy meals at this restaurant.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled into Origins while driving in NJ.
Is billed as a French /Thai infusion.
The lunch was very reasonable and the selection was wide and delicious!
I had the green curry.
It was spot on!
My daughter had Pad Thai and really enjoyed it!
The ambiance is friendly and elegant.
Would definetly recommend!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have enjoyed the meals I've ordered at Origin, especially the duck. This time it was dry. Although the atmosphere is pleasing, the service is not. Each time we have been hurried through our meal. The focus seems to be to get people quickly through the meal so the table can be cleared for the next group. This works if you have limited time like a lunch hour. It does not work when you want a relaxed dining experience. This last time was the worst. I will not be back again.
If there were more restaurants in the area, I'm sure their business would suffer because of this.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were brought here by fellow foodies we were visiting in Basking Ridge, and were very glad they chose this venue. Located in a strip mall, the exterior gives no clue to the upscale, interesting interior. Billing itself as "French-Thai" cuisine, Origin's menu offers a wide assortment of offerings. We started with Steamed Mussels ($12.00), served in a lemongrass and Thai basil broth. This app was superb, probably the freshest mussels we've ever had. Maybe that's because New Jersey is on the coast and close to fresh fish markets? Whatever reason, no rubbery mussels here! We so enjoyed the broth that we asked for bread so we could sop up more of it. (Surprising that no bread was served, as is usual in most restaurants.) For mains, two of us selected Wild Boar ($24.00), one chose "Original Duck Tamarind" ($24.00), and our fourth diner had another app for her main course, Somtum (Green Papaya Salad, with roasted garlic, peanuts, lime, vinaigrette and sticky rice crouton, $8.00). The wild boar (sauteed tenderloin) was interesting and very good, less gamey than I actually expected, a little firmer than regular pork. It was served with chili peppers, Thai Basil, shiitake mushrooms, and bok choy. We enjoyed this, but having experienced it, no need to order it again. The winner at the table was the Original Duck Tamarind, ordered by my wife. This came to the table as one half duck, boneless, roasted crisp, served with Asian eggplant, kiwi, and tamarind sauce. It's not often that my wife raves about an entree, but this one hit the bullseye! By the time she put her fork down, she declared this to be one of the best entrees she'd ever had. This from a gourmet cook.......'nuff said. I tasted the duck, and have to agree
-- it was fantastic. We finished with a "Trio Ice Cream" ($8.00), which featured Mango Sorbet, Peach-Ginger Sorbet and Coconut Gelato. I'd guess these were house-made, but don't know that as a fact. In any case, this was a perfect ending as the four of us shared the one dessert. Bottom line, Basking Ridge is probably not on anybody's radar as a fine-dining mecca, but Origin provided an excellent dining experience in a very nice setting. Give it a try!