“Hotel Meh. Terrible service at the Bistro.”

Courtyard Basking Ridge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Basking Ridge
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night on business. We arrived just as the roads were icing up around 3pm so we decided to stay in. We were extremely bored, counting down the minutes until 5pm when the Bistro opened for dinner so we could at least get a drink.

We grabbed a couple drinks a little after 5, a short cranberry vodka and a Stella Artois. The bartender got it for us and we told him we would pay then instead of opening a tab...then he walked away and got on the phone at the front desk without saying anything. Someone else rung it up for us. It cost about $14! Unreal.

For dinner I ordered a turkey BLT that came with two sides. I asked for a quinoa salad and chips and my husband a turkey burger. The waitress didn't even know they had a turkey burger on the menu...we had to point it out to her. Then she returned over a half hour later to tell him that they didn't have any turkey burgers! So...he asked for a regular burger. Around another half hour later she returned with his burger (which had no cheese on it so he had to call her back when he realized it to get some) and my sandwich. She informed me THEN that they had no quinoa salad. She didn't bring out the bag of chips either so I had to remind her. I asked for "veggie sticks" instead which was basically a couple carrots and some celery, sopping wet, on a wet plate with no ranch or anything. She walked by my husband at least 7 times while his beer was empty and never asked if he wanted another. I guess they don't want tips here. All this time, there were a total of 6 other patrons that came and went and some weren't even ordering food. She claimed they were backed up... I suppose some hotel guests may have ordered room service but the place was dead. There were probably 10 cars in the whole parking lot. The sandwich and burger tasting good were the only redeeming quality at the Bistro. It was terrible, smoky from the kitchen that must not have very good ventilation and kind of expensive considering everything.

The hotel itself was just ok. As I stated before it was dead in that place. A loud guy whose voice I recognized from the bar was in the room next to ours! Why? The place is huge and it was empty! We could hear him talking on the phone or something. The walls are paper thin and the room echoed when we talked.

Alas, it's a Marriott. I didn't expect any frills and I sure didn't get any. But it was worse than I expected it to be.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor only because the parking lot can be loud on the first floor where we stayed...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Joyce V.

I am so sorry we provided such poor service in the Bistro during your stay in our hotel. I assure you this is not indicative of the service we typically provide and is not acceptable. I had the opportunity to research what had happened during your visit. Due to such low occupancy in the hotel right after the holiday, we chose to have an off property post-holiday party for the entire staff. We brought in outside labor from a sister hotel and the staff was not completely knowledgeable of our menu and facility. This should not be so apparent and once again I apologize for our failures. Hopefully, you will join us in the future and give us the opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for New Years Eve night because we attended a party close by. We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel. It's a perfect stay for a night or two. Very clean and kind of trendy. They even have room service! Room service was not available for us because it was new years eve but the front desk gave us the phone number to a Chinese food restaurant and a pizzaera who both delivered to the hotel.
My only extremely minor problems were their blanket on the bed was so thin I was cold but my husband called the front desk at 3:00am and they brought me a heavier blanket right away :), there's no refrigerator in the room and the hotel is in a pretty desolate (rich) area..but there is a hidden 7/11 a few yards away in a gas station.
When you book, you have the option to add breakfast for 2 for just $5.00 more. DO IT. The quality of the food is basically like diner food (which is better than your typical free hotel breakfast), and our bill came out to $30.00 for the two of us, so we were really happy we added the breakfast for $5.00.
If you're looking for a quick stay, definitelyyyy stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Amanda T,

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard at Basking Ridge to bring in the New Year!! I appreciate the kind words with respect to the cleanliness, décor and amenities of the hotel – we are very proud of the product we offer to our guests! I agree with you regarding the breakfast included rate, it is a great value. Please join us again in the future!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stay a many Marriott hotels and happened to stay two separate times in December of 2013 at this one in Basking Ridge. I was not overly impressed with the rooms which are starting to show wear and tear, plus are pretty compact but functional. What bothered me the most is the lobby and bistro area are kept in the dark and what I mean by this is little to no lights. I have to confirm that the bar area was even open and found it just strange that the staff was also working in the dark. Not sure if this is the "look or feel" they are going for but when you have to ask if it is even open then it is not working in your favor. They do not offer any coffee in the morning as you leave unless you once again stumble over in the dark and pay for a cup. I opted to leave and visit a local Bistro. The location is good if you need to be in this area for business or pleasure.
I did not use the Pool or gym so cannot comment on those amenities.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Life is a Cabernet,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, your feedback is important to us as it allows us to improve service to all of our guests. I am sorry we were not able to meet your expectations with respect to renovations, lighting and coffee service. We are starting to plan on our room’s renovation and we should be updating them late next year or early 2016. Our last rooms renovation was five years ago and the rooms are still very clean and fresh. We do keep the lighting down during dinner service as do most restaurants but I will double check the lighting to ensure the staff is not turning it too low. I am surprised to hear you felt the mornings were dark as well as we turn the lights up completely for breakfast service. On occasion we have served people in the dark as some people tend to wander in prior to us opening in the morning. Courtyard by Marriott has an agreement with Starbucks to sell coffee in the morning in the public space but we do have complimentary coffee in each guest room. I hope you will join us on your future trips to Basking Ridge.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was another of out 'Staycations'. We were at a nearby attraction and decided to stay the night instead of going back home. What a great decision. The hotel was first class as was the staff. They have a great mid-sized pool with a exercise/weight room/gym. The room service was fast and tasty! The breakfast was actually better than most diners. It was always quiet even though the parking lot was full to the brim. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

NewarkScubaDiver,
Thank you for writing such a complimentary review. I am so glad you chose our hotel for your “staycation” and were able to enjoy the amenities we offer. We will be upgrading our pool in early 2014 with new decking and furniture to make this area even better. We do offer an added amenity above most Courtyard’s by Marriott by offering in room delivery of our dinner menu from the Bistro. I am happy you found the food “tasty”. Please join us again!!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Recently stayed at hotel 10/28-10/30 for business. Positively, hotel clean and staff friendly.

Negatively, fire alarms went off on 10/28 around 1015 PM. Had to stand outside for an hour plus in lobby for another ~45 minutes or so getting back to room closer to midnight. Turns out there was something triggering smoke on 4th floor and fire department had to deal with this, air out the place a little, and do inspection. Made for a poor night sleep.

Did not see hotel go out of there way to make up for a poor unforseen event. After traveling all day and working and being exhausted, thought they could have offered up something proactively besides finally giving out water in the lobby and some chips.

Also, disappointed that this hotel has stopped offering coffee in AM. Can't even get a cup in lobby anymore until cafe opens. Understand need of hotel to make a "dime", but really? Every other courtyard and fairfield I've been too offers this.

Net out I would have to rate the overall experience as poor. 2nd night was a little better, but then again hard to really mess up when you get to room 8PM and leave by 630AM.

While I am in area often, this hotel is not my 1st choice and is generall ok, albiet a little over priced.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Steve P,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I do apologize for the fire alarm as we had a motor in one of the air distribution units seize and subsequently, a rubber belt started to give off smoke causing the alarm to go off. I also apologize for not compensating during the emergency we will try to react quicker next time. As far as the coffee, this is now a corporate mandated standard of the Courtyard brand which offers the Bistro concept to not offer complimentary coffee. Reason being, the Bistro proudly brews Starbucks products and we have an agreement with Starbucks to sell coffee. I am sorry this was such a poor experience and I hope you will give us the opportunity to make it up to you next time.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a shopping trip...nice lobby...pretty business person oriented...front desk person just kind of blah....no coffee in lobby was most disappointing...rooms very nice...decor very pleasant....would stay again but not overly impressed

• Stayed: October 2013
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Nikki R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review as your feedback is very important to us and it allows us to improve service to all of our guests. Sorry we did not make a great impression with you as we strive to make all of customers happy. The removal of the complimentary coffee is now a mandated standard of the Courtyard brand but we still offer free coffee in the guest room. I hope you stay with us again and give us the opportunity impress you.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I recently stayed for 1 night here on a trip over to the US from the UK. Didn't get into the hotel till about 8pm and left early the next morning. My overall view of the place is that the room was extremely comfortable, exceptionally clean and I had a good nights sleep.
It is a perfect place for an overnight stay. My only negative comment would be that the amenities on offer are a bit on the expensive side. $7 for a beer seems a bit steep!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

JonPSmith,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and commenting on the comfort and cleanliness, we take great pride in our product and it shows. We recently replaced all of the mattresses in the hotel so I am sure this helped you get a “good night’s sleep”. We do try to price our food and beverage competitive with the other restaurants and hotels in the area.

Thank you and we hope you will stay with us once again!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Basking Ridge
#1 of 4 in Basking Ridge
Bernards Inn
Bernards Inn
#1 of 1 in Bernardsville

Been to Courtyard Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!