“Courtyard by Marriott: Average and that's OK”

Courtyard Basking Ridge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Basking Ridge
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It was fine. Crazy crowded evening. they gave my reserved room - 2 king beds - away (thanks guys) and gave us a "suite" instead which had one king and a sofa bed. Meh. I appreciate the effort, but have this thing about reservations. I made one, you either honor it or not. if not, what is the point of a reservation? The place was a total zoo with baseball teams, weddings etc going on. And yet, it was mostly quiet (other than some loud guests blazing through the halls at about 11 pm for a brief scream fest) and we all slept fine. Since they gave our room away, they threw in free breakfast which we had not opted for. I appreciated that and the effort to sort out our room issue. Thanks. Average.

1  Thank SebGo
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

SebGo,

Thank you for writing this review and providing your feedback on our hotel. I would like to apologize that you were not given the room that you had originally reserved. This should have never happened and there is no excuse for it. I do hope that you are willing to give us another chance here at the hotel, and I will make sure to make things right upon your next visit.

Thank you for staying with us and passing along your comments.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here when our usual go-to hotel was all booked up.
New hotel, great facilities for families. Nice casual restaurant area in lobby. Some circular, semi-private booths with individual TVs are a huge hit with kids. Great way to keep everyone together. Food was good, fast service.

Rooms spacious, try to get one on ground floor. Sliding door opens to lushly landscaped patio and pool area.

One drawback: there were cobwebs right above our bed and a spider fell on me. Informed front desk and we were moved right away. Not indicative of overall level of cleanliness though. I think had more to do with impossibly high ceilings of the rooms, which make it hard to clean. Just look up!

Fair price and comfortable for families. We had the breakfast and internet included rate. No weird extra fees like many hotels. Would stay here again when in the area visiting family.

Room Tip: Rooms spacious, try to get one on ground floor. Sliding door opens to lushly landscaped patio and po...
1  Thank miamiflor

Dear Miamiflor,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of the great comments and the feedback you have provided us. We are honored to hear that you have now considered us your go-to hotel in the area! I am pleased you were able to enjoy all of our new amenities especially the media pods which happen to be my favorite as well. I apologize for your experience in the room as this was totally unacceptable. I will be sure to inform my staff right away to make sure we take care of this so it does not happen again. Although the circumstances were not ideal I am happy that my staff was able to respond right away and move you to another room.

Thank you again for writing this review. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went to a wedding this past weekend and most guets stayed at the hotel. The room price was great although it seemed that it seemed all guests were not given the same price and other were told the the time to book a room at the wedding group rate had expired and others were able to book a room after the wedding and still get the wedding group rate.

The hotel itself and rooms were very nice and comfortable.

The Bar/Bistro was ridiculously over priced for both food and drinks. One round of 3 drinks = $28. One Pepsi from the snack area $2.68, one beer $6.41, one Crown Royal on the rocks $12. They were nice enough to keep the Bar open till 1 am for the wedding party but with the prices they were charging it just didn't make sense. For breakfast we opted to leave and go somewhere more reasonably priced, their prices at the Bistro/Bar and Snack area are just outrageous. Bring a cooler of your own beverages and snacks and you'll be fine and save a ton of money.

Room Tip: Request a Balcony Room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Debbie B

Debbie B,

Thank you for writing your comments, your feedback is important to me as it helps us improve service to all of our guests. In regards to the room rate I apologize if there was some confusion. Typically we offer a discounted group rate with a deadline 4 weeks prior to the check in date. In some circumstances if we do not sell out on that evening and we are not in high demand the rate may lower and could be equivalent to the wedding rate.

Thank you for your review on our guest rooms. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the space.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not able to enjoy our Bistro. In response to the pricing we do survey the area and our prices are competitive with what is in the market. I apologize if we did not meet your needs in this aspect of your stay with us.

Again, I am truly thankful for review and we appreciate your business.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights June 7&8, everything went well, we were there to attend a wedding, the front desk personnel were very friendly as was the hotel manager, the room was excellent and the shuttle service to the wedding location was handled very well. No complaints, highly recommend !

Room Tip: Make sure that your room location is away from the sport teams that stay there!, very important to h...

Dear Marlandfirst,

Thank you for the complimentary review! I am glad to hear you had a wonderful experience at our hotel and I hope you had a fantastic time at the wedding. I appreciate your comments about our staff. I am honored to have such a great team and I will be sure to pass this comment along. I am so glad you enjoyed the shuttle service, this is something we arrange for our wedding groups and we love to hear the great feedback.

Thank you again for your great review. We hope to see you next time you are in Basking Ridge.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My husband and I reserved a couple of rooms for one weekend night. We stayed in one room and our teenage son and a few of his friends were in an adjoining suite room. The rooms were very clean, the beds were comfortable and the boys liked the in-room movies and the flat-screen TV, as well as the pool and hot tub. Any staff we had the pleasure of dealing with were very accommodating and helpful. Although we live locally, we would definitely consider this property for a future stay for ourselves or for visiting relatives.

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies with a small table and chairs accessed by sliding glass doors.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Marie C,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fine review of our hotel. Sometimes it is nice to just get out of the house even if it is locally. I am glad to hear all went well for you and your family and I hope you will join us again when looking for a local getaway.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I visited this hotel on business and was very impressed by the customer service as well as the atmosphere of the hotel. Upon arriving, I was greeted by a very friendly front desk clerk who made me feel welcome and made the check in process effortless. When I entered my room, I was pleased to see a very clean and modern layout. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. I initially had issues getting WIFI access (due to my VPN restrictions) but their IT customer service was excellent and got me going in no time. I would not hesitate to stay there again the next time I am in Basking Ridge.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Joel C,

Thank you for the review, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and all went well. I always enjoy reading about great guest service – this is why we are here. Your comments make our staff proud which fuels them for the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were heading to Cape Liberty, NJ for a cruise and decided to stay just outside of the area and away from the airport. Nice location, a little disappointed that there weren't any restaurants within walking distance to the hotel, but we did eat downstairs and the food was good. The service was very slow and our waitress did forget to bring our drinks, but overall it was a very nice hotel to stay at.
When we went to check out in the morning, the front desk said that there was no charge since my points covered the cost of our stay. We were not aware that they did this on their own, I thought I had to request it. We will definitely stay at this hotel again next time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Kisma1,

Thank you for your business and I appreciate your feedback. I am sorry to hear we did not communicate the local restaurants. We have some great restaurants within walking distance and directions are available on our “GoBoard” (our interactive touch screen concierge) as well as a restaurant list from the front desk. Please always feel free to ask the front desk any questions regarding the local area – our staff has great local knowledge. I apologize for your experience in our restaurant I assure you this is not indicative of our usual service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Basking Ridge
#1 of 4 in Basking Ridge
Bernards Inn
Bernards Inn
#1 of 1 in Bernardsville

Been to Courtyard Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!