“Can't go wrong with Courtyard”

Courtyard Basking Ridge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Basking Ridge
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Was there for one evening, a Saturday night.
Pros: Room was perfect. Comfortable and quiet, even though we were right next to the elevator. Everything looked new. Everything was clean.

Negative: Was looking forward to pool and spa. Some guests, however, had turned that area into a party zone with a bunch of folks drinking wine, and teenagers in the whirlpool for a really long period of time, throwing a football to other teens in the pool. So it was not for us.

Breakfast: Very limited menu, and not that great.

Room Tip: Plan for breakfast elseware.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Pennsypete,

Thank you taking the time to provide your feedback on our hotel. We appreciate your review as it helps us better understand all of our guests needs as we look for new ways to improve. Housekeeping takes pride in making sure our rooms are always clean and comfortable and I am glad to hear you had a wonderful experience. I do want to apologize that you were not able to enjoy the pool and spa we will try to do a better job monitoring the pool. I am sorry to hear that you felt our menu was limited as we want our guests to feel like they always have options. The Bistro concept provides options that are made fresh to order with many healthy options. Our food is inspired by fast casual concepts built around retail, bakeries and modern coffee shops.

Thank you again for writing this review and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I recently stayed here for 3 nights, in town for my son's wedding. The hotel was nice, clean and the staff was friendly. We requested a fridge and microwave which was brought to our room immediately after we arrived. We arrived around 1:00 and were allowed to check in our rooms early which was nice. We had a king bed and there was ample space in the room. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the room was nicely insulated, never heard any outside noise and I knew there were young kids a few doors down from us. We especially liked the large bathroom (toilet and shower area) and the dividing door where the vanity is, although the vantity was quite small. The "market" in the lobby sold a good variety of things to eat/drink and things for personal use. However, the items are WAY over priced. I understand and agree with the hotel making a profitt, however, the prices of these things were more like robbery. A single beer for $6 is ridiculous! I also think the hotel should have kept the complementary lobby coffee out later than 10 am. The bistro is also very overpriced. I did not care for the location of the hotel. It was somewhat secluded, no restuarants or stores for miles except for an 7-11/Exxon, which did have a decent selection of fresh sandwiches. Another problem with this location is that you cannot get on 78 going East, only West. This was very odd for us coming from Tennessee. However, the interstate was very close which was nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear tonya8268,

First, I would like to say congratulations to you and your family on your son’s wedding and I appreciate you choosing our hotel to host your family on such a special day. Thank you for taking time to write this review and for the great comments you made about our staff and service as we always look forward to any feedback our guests provide us. I am thrilled to hear that your overall arrival experience was great and that we were able to accommodate you for an early check-in. I am also happy that you mentioned our comfortable pillows as we just recently upgraded them. In respects to the market and the Bistro, I am sorry you felt our prices were too high, we study the market to keep our pricing competitive with other hotels in the area. I am disappointed to hear that you were not informed about the restaurants in the area. There are 10 restaurants that are less a half mile away - within walking distance. Our front desk has a wealth of knowledge and they will provide directions and recommendations for not only restaurants but other points of interest as well.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we hope to see you next time your in the area.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This Marriott Hotel is very nice on arrival however it lacks some atmosphere, private areas and the normal things you expect from this hotel group. The hotel is a little way from the Raritan area and there is no shuttle bus available so to get to where I needed to be daily it was $50.00 each way - a little steep. Please follow your colleauges at the Bridgewater Marriott and provide a shuttle bus to the large companies in the surrounding area. The staff at the hotel were very warm, friendly and welcoming & the rooms are clean and comfortable (make sure you get a room away from the lift). The restaurant is ok, serves basic snack style food which in my opinion was average and there are no sidewalks in the area so you cannot walk to any other restaurants in the area you have to drive. The breakfast was nice however the lounge area doubles as the dinning area and bar - can be busy and noisy and so is the music in come of the corridors. It is ok but not sure I would stay here again due to the location, lack of shuttle bus and the cost involved travelling back and forward to Raritan.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is away from the lift area as this can be noisy and make sure you have a car if y...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear David G,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is important to us as it allows us to improve our service to all of our guests. Thank you for the comment about our great staff and rooms. Both of these components are so important at our hotel and I am glad we were able to impress you. In regards to the shuttle, as a select service hotel most Courtyards do not have an onsite shuttle. Since the Bridgewater Marriott is a full service hotel this is one of the upgraded amenities they provide. I am disappointed to hear that you did not feel comfortable in our new lobby. Marriott has done extensive research to provide a space that has both private and communal areas. I always like to recommend one of our media pods where you have your own private space at the Bistro to watch TV, enjoy dinner and even work on your laptop. And if you were looking for something to eat besides the Bistro there are a few restaurants within walking distance. Sometimes it is hard to view over the hill but there is a sidewalk all the way down to Riverwalk Plaza just 1/4 of a mile away where there are four restaurants and a national coffee house.

Thank you again for all of your feedback.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I just completed my 20th stay at this hotel over the past 3 years and felt compelled to drop a note....always friendly staff....clean....good food....just an overall wonderful experience staying at this hotel...."feels like I am back down South"!

1  Thank bruce l
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Bruce l,

I cannot thank you enough for the amazing review! We truly appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and I am happy to hear that my staff has made a lasting impression. It is so important to us to create that home away from home atmosphere and I will be sure to thank my staff for doing so. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Easy to find. The front desk staff was helpful. There was an issue with the boarding pass printer and they assisting me in getting mine printed. Breakfast was fast and good and the staff was friendly. The room and bathroom were a nice size and clean. A large tv, sofa bed, some rooms with fridge and microwave. The lobby was open, and clean. Very inviting.

Room Tip: Rooms 238-mid 240's are next to an open balcony over the cafe. If the patrons are noisy at night...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear schwaja,

Thank you for your great review and most of thank you for your business. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that my staff was able to provide you with a wonderful experience. I apologize for the issue with our printers. I am glad my staff was able to assist you promptly to rectify this situation. Thank you for you comments on our breakfast service. In efforts to make the Bistro breakfast experience even better than before we have added more staff to ensure speedy service. It is great news that these changes are now be recognized by our guests.

Thank you again and we hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel has had a recent update (February 2012) the new look is a good one that I hope will rolled out to more of the chain; its one of the rare occasions that nice photos on a booking website translate turn out to be not as good as the real thing.

The lobby area is light and airy, with a bar and eating area. There are plenty of power outlets to charge devices, which is a thoughtful touch. The rooms themselves are standard fayre and have not been renovated as stylishly (if at all) - however, they are clean and comfortable.

All the staff I encountered during my three night stay were very helpful and friendly. Check-in was a breeze, which set the tone for the rest of my time here.

The location is good. The nearest rail station is Lyons, which is a 3 mile walk or a $25 cab ride. From there, a trip to NYC takes about 90 minutes.

i will certainly stay here again the next time I am in the area. The only thing that stops it getting the full five out of five is that the Bistro was not opening for lunch while I was there (although there is a pantry beside reception.)

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor - there is a danger that you might end up too close to the recept...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear RichardSurrey38,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to write this review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our lobby renovations and all the new amenities it has to offer. Soon all of the Courtyards will be transformed into this new concept. I will be sure to thank my staff for providing you a with a great arrival experience and making a good first impression. Thank you for the comment about our rooms. We understand the importance of a clean and comfortable room which is why we make it a priority to inspect all guest rooms before arrival to ensure they are up to Marriott standards. In regards to the Bistro hours we are not open for lunch because the demand is not high enough. But we do have the market available 24 hours which is always stocked with sandwiches, fruit, drinks and other snacks. Thank you again for great comment!

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Courtyard for one night after a wedding in late Dec. We couldn't have been more pleased. Check in was quick, and the woman who checked us in had her coat on, and was ready to leave for the night! She put her bags down, put on a huge smile and helped us out. I wasn't sure where the recception was being held, and by the time I got my bags out of the car, they had already printed directions for me.

The room was large, and very clean. We had a King room with access to the couryard. The bed was very comfortable, and my daughter had no problem with the pull out couch. The only downfall to me, was the size of the pillows. Since we had a king bed, I would have liked them to been a bit larger, they were very small, square pillows, more like one you would see on a couch. I should have asked for something different , but it was late and I didn't want to bother anyone, my fault!

We enjoyed our stay and were quite sorry to have to leave after only one night. If I am ever in Basking Ridge again, I wouldn't hesitate to go back

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nxrcks
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear nxrcks,

Thank you for the kind review. I hope you had a wonderful holiday! I am so pleased to hear about your arrival experience and that my staff made a memorable impression. Going above and beyond is what we strive to do at our hotel and I will make sure to thank my staff for doing so. Regarding your comment about our pillows we have just upgraded our beds with larger pillows that are more appropriate to the king and queen beds.
You can always call the front desk if you need any additional items for you room and we are happy to assist you at any hour. We hope to see you again in Basking Ridge!

Best regards,

#1 of 4 in Basking Ridge
Bernards Inn
Bernards Inn
#1 of 1 in Bernardsville

Been to Courtyard Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!