“Upgraded Hotel Nothing Special by Marriott Standards”

Courtyard Basking Ridge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Basking Ridge
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Have stayed here frequently in past. Watched hotel go through major renovation. At that point, they cut back benefits to me as Marriott Platnium premier member. Use to have free buffet breakfast included. So decided to check out other Marriotts in area as this is the most expensive courtyard around.

Found nice Fairfleld Inn by Marriott in Somerset for over $70 less a night on average. Includes buffet breakfast. Also, Fairfield Inn in Edision NJ nice and even Parsippany Fairfeild Inn gave more. For what they provide for rate, worth considering other Marriott's in area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank steve p
GMBaskingRidge, General Manager at Courtyard Basking Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Thank you for writing your comments, your feedback is important to me as it helps us improve service to all of our guests.

I want to apologize if we did not properly communicate our new breakfast policy for our most loyal guests. I will take this opportunity to state the change. We previously had a buffet for breakfast where it was all you could eat and complimentary to all Platinum Premier members. Since there is no longer a buffet, we offer complimentary breakfast to our Platinum Premier members with choice of one hot item from the menu and a beverage including Starbuck's freshly brewed coffee or two cold items and a beverage.

With respect to the rates, we are very fortunate to be conveniently located near some major corporations. Subsequently, there is a tremendous demand for rooms. Also, we are a much larger hotel than the typical Courtyard hotel and have the ability to provide some services above our sister properties. We are more expensive than the Fairfield Inn product as it has a separate niche in the market and both hotels are 15 to 20 miles away from our hotel.

Scott Selby

Reviewed April 19, 2012

We needed a nice hotel for an overnight stay for a wedding and this was part of the family block. The front desk screwed up with the Disabled Room that we needed and quickly made the switch for us to a room that was very accomodating to my family member that needed grab bars in the bathroom. It was much more spacious than the other room and had a nice view. The beds are very soft and feel right to bed. Room was clean as a whistle.

The breakfast the next morning was very good but I would prefer the old way where there was a buffet that we just choose from on our own. I don't know why they changed it as I would rather have breakfast part of the room charge. Overall, a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Please call ahead to Marriott's Disabled Department if you need help for a room. The department...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

jwatrel,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for all of your compliments. My staff and I take pride in making you and the rest of our guests happy - it is what fuels us!!

I am sorry we did not have your room correct upon arrival and I am happy that my staff provided the service recovery to your satisfaction. I think this helps differentiate quality of service - we are not always perfect but it is important that we fix our mistakes to your satisfaction.

I noticed you posted a tip on the review to call Marriott's Disable Department. I would also like to add to call the property prior to arrival. We have different types of rooms with varying levels to handle disabilities. If we know your exact needs prior to arrival we will be better able to serve you.

With respect to breakfast, we have implemented the Bistro which is the fastest growing restaurant chain in the US. This concept serves dinner and breakfast from the same area and makes it impossible to provide a buffet in the same space. What is great, is that all of the food is now made to order and is fresh for every guest!!

jwatrel, thank you for staying with us and for the fine compliments!!

Scott Selby

Reviewed February 23, 2012

They just finished the renovations that have been going on a few months at this hotel. I stay here frequently for work. The lobby is much nicer and they have improved the social area and restaurant/cafe. The rooms are simple, clean and large. It's a typical Courtyard. For me, the best part of this hotel is it's location. It's right off of 78 and close to 287 so it's easy to get to.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Heather W
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Stayed four nights for business. Crazy expensive for a Courtyard, but things in this part of Jersey are just more expensive. The hotel was undergoing some renovations, so it was a little weird getting to different parts of the hotel, but nothing too obtrusive. It was clean and all my interactions with staff were pleasant. It suited my needs but I don't have anything spectacular to write about. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank pamlvs2trvl
Reviewed December 20, 2011

This is your standard Marriott. Typical room - comfortable but nothing fancy. Staff was great. The hotel is under renovations through February (I knew this ahead of time), and the front desk staff were great, really making the most of the situation. I arrived fro breakfast 15 minutes before they opened and the attendant was super nice and let me come in anyways.

The drawback is location. There's very restricted access to the parking lot and you are only able to exit and enter from one direction. This was a pain in the morning as I had to exit the lot opposite the way I wanted to go, cross the expressway and turn around - multiple lights, etc.

Still, a nice place with friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days recently for a business trip and found it very comfortable. Here is my experience:

PROS: Friendly & accommodating staff. There were renovations going on at the hotel which I was aware of when I booked, and when I checked in, I was offered a room right over the construction site. This was kind of weird since there were no cars in the lot and the hotel was pretty much empty; however, when I asked to be moved, I was offered a room on the 3rd floor and as far away from the front desk area as possible since I was going to be working out of my room for some of the trip. The room I received was very quiet & away from the hustle & bustle of the elevators and busier hallways (which I really appreciated).

The room was clean with ample towels (not always a given in hotels). The heating unit was efficient, and the fan was a quieter model. The bed was comfy with lots of pillows. It was cold on the first night, and when I called the front desk at 10:00 p.m. to ask for extra blankets, someone was at my door in 10 minutes with the blankets.

There is a small store that carries snacks and water, free hot coffee and tea, and fresh fruit. The breakfast had good selections -- hot and tasty. The staff in the cafe (Carlos and Maria) were friendly, humorous, and made the breakfast actually a pretty fun experience.

I checked in on Saturday and found no restaurant or bar service until Monday. This hotel caters to a business clientele and the hotel empties out on weekends. If you want food on a Saturday or Sunday, you'll have to go to one of the strip malls which are close by and have many excellent dining choices, including a Starbucks, bagel shop, Chinese, American, and Italian food options. I recommend both 3West and Ciao if you want great food although both are busy, noisy, and expensive.

The pool and spa area were clean and empty which made using those facilities very private and restful.

When I asked for a late check-out on my last day, this was permitted and made my day much easier since it was pouring out and I didn't have a car. My ride to the airport wasn't coming until 3:00, and checkout is typically 12:00 p.m. The hotel management graciously accommodated this request.

CONS: Happily not many problems during this stay. One annoying factor, which I have found throughout many hotels, is that the housekeeping staff park their carts outside rooms and talk for long periods of time on the phone or yell across the hall to each other while they are cleaning. This also happened during my stay at the Courtyard unfortunately. The housekeeper talked on her cell phone outside my room for 45 minutes in loud, rapid-fire Spanish. Again, it happens in many hotels, but there should be some kind of management oversight for this kind of behavior.

The arrangement of the hotel with no way for cars to turn around is very inconvenient. You need to drive over the freeway and up to the next intersection and into the strip mall to turn around to go the other way on Route 78. Every time I left the hotel with business associates, we commented on this inconvenience.

The breakfast should be complimentary and included in the price of the room (which is expensive!). This kind of "nickel and diming" is not attractive, and I overheard other guests complaining about this as well.

Unfortunately I may not be able to stay at this hotel again. My business expense report was questioned because of the high price of the room rates. However, it does seem to be the best hotel option in this area and the rates may reflect Basking Ridge prices.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank esmerelda12
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for years, whenever I am in NJ to visit family. The staff here are wonderful - very friendly and welcoming. The hotel is well situated right off of Rt. 78, but it is surprisingly quiet. The setting is very pretty - NJ hills, lots of woods around. There is a nice outdoor courtyard, and all the amenities a business or leisure traveler needs. A five minute walk offers access to two good Italian restaurants and a bagel shop. Rooms have big flat screen TVs - a nice plus. All in all, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Basking Ridge
Bernards Inn
Bernards Inn
#1 of 1 in Bernardsville

Been to Courtyard Basking Ridge? Share your experiences!