“Consistent Combo: Outstanding Food, Awful Service”
Review of Old Rail Tavern

Old Rail Tavern
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Barrington
Cuisines: American
Haddon Heights, New Jersey
“Consistent Combo: Outstanding Food, Awful Service”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Since moving a town over, I had always heard what wonderful the Old Rail had, particuarly the pizza. My husband and I decided to start going there, and people were right- the menu and food are literally, outstanding.

The pizza is on a thin crust, lots of cheese, actually reminds me very slightly of Manco's (the old Mac-n-Manco's) from Ocean City, NJ. We usually would order a tossed salad with it, which was again, fresh and always outstanding.

What's not outstanding is the lousy service, which we experienced 9 times out of 10. You can almost bet, that your service will be lousy; sure the place is small, but if it has 15 tables total, and the servers also serve the bar patrons food- how can you expect the one or MAYBE two girls on, to give good service? They don't.

In fact, the veteran servers are pleasant enough and you can tell they are working hard to keep up. The new, younger girls that they bring in are awful. Food with an attitude to say the least. They are stressed and boy does it show!

My husband and I last went there, and left, this past August. We walked in, the place was close to empty as it was the end of summer vacation season. A new waiteress was struggeling with her three tables and the bar, and she was miserable. We sat, and sat, and sat. After the fifth time she walked pass us, we just left.

However, I can't hold a grudge against such wonderful food. Takeout from the Old Rail is our solution once in a while!

• Visited August 2012

Burlington, Vermont
“Great Pub”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Was looking for a good local pub near Haddon Heights while visiting family, and found this gem in a town I did not even know existed less than a mile from their house. Turns out there are tons of little towns in the area, geographically speaking, as I learned sitting at the bar nursing a nice draught beer (including a 24oz very special Yuengling) .

This place is unique in many ways, it is built on a triangular corner of two streets and as such the shape of the building follows suit. Inside the ceilings are very high and open, and rustic with a lot of brick on the interior. The bar itself is more or less rectangular, with tables scattered about elsewhere. There is an upper landing where a pretty much open kitchen is located, plus more tables and the restrooms. There is a large train track running around the interior perimeter of the whole place that they turn on from time to time, not sure what scale it is, but there are other train lore as well, and as you can imagine the real train tracks are nearby outside. I wish I had taken pictures, its hard to describe, but their website has pics www.theoldrailtavern.com . The best part of course, were the people, both behind the bar and at the bar. It was obvious that I was a visitor to town as most of the people there were locals who knew each other, and mostly an older, more mature crew, who engaged me in conversation, as did the wonderful bartender.

I should mention that this area is basically a suburb of Philly, and true to color they have what looked to be a killer cheese steak, and also killer Italian hoagie, although I did not eat, but will next time. I asked about the rolls, as I am a hoagie fanatic, they are made by DiBonnas in neighboring Haddon Heights, not Amoroso's, but they looked just fine. . I could tell from observation they knew how to make a hoagie and/or cheese steak. I was told the pizza is excellent as well.

If you are in this area I highly recommend a visit for a beer or lunch, or both.

• Visited October 2012