“You need to be in the mood”
Review of Allen A Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wolfeboro
Allen A Motor Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Wolfeboro
Northboro, MA
“You need to be in the mood”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I go back to the days when the Allen A resort was a thing to behold. Tennis courts, indoor theater, cabins tucked away in the woods, an owner who dressed like a cowboy and rode his beautiful palamino during periodic fireworks displays open to the public. Those days were maybe 50 years ago. That resort closed and a new motel was opened, containing a restaurant, play areas for kids, etc. Well, much of that is gone and we now have the motor inn, at which we have been staying for maybe ten years.

Having camped for twenty years or so up the road we have come to like this part of Wolfeboro. From the motel its a two minute drive a beautiful free beach, there is a state park nearby, and places to pull over at Lake Wentworth to swim or canoe. This said it is five minutes into Wolfeboro for lunch, dinner, and hob nobbling with the Romney set or wannabees who have populated this part of the world for years.

As to the motel itself, it is managed by very nice and accomodating people who are slowly upgrading the rooms. The one we had last week had wi-fi and a fridge. It was clean and comfy and the air conditioner got us through a serious hot spell. The pool out back is extremely nice; clear, clean and refreshing....never used it seems. We like sitting on the little deck out back and watching a sunset.

Ok, as one can tell from other reviews this is no Hilton. The outside needs a serious paint job, as does the wooden furniture. Some of the in room furniture is on its last legs. It would be nice to have a coffee pot or coffee served in the reception area. But there are signs of progress and if Romney gets elected president maybe the owners can strike a deal with Marriott to start over. In the meantime, if you are in the mood for some North Woods simplicity in near perfect surroundings......

For us the bottom line is something quiet a level or two above a camping trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side; they are newer.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank rkgood

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Allen "A" has two types of rooms and we were upgraded to the better of the two. The room was hot and musty smelling. The AC was off and minimal when on. The curtains were threadbare. The blinds would not go to the bottom of the window. The bathroom fan unit had a burning lint smell when on. The bedding was 1950s. The carpet was filthy. The walls had cracks and no pictures. Worst of all there were little bugs on the pillows.
All this for $99 per night! Needless to say, we left and were fortunate to find a room elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DACETC
Hanover, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 2, 2010

We booked my son and daughter into the Allen A because we were in Wolfeboro for a family wedding. They were put ina room around the back with a door with a flimsy lock.
My daughter did not feel safe. The room clearly had not been cleaned recently as there were dead bugs in sight in the bathroom and beneath the air conditioner. When "clean" towels were left in the room they had dried toothpaste still on them.
I only found out about the conditions on the ride home, so I wrote a letter to the management and received no reply! I strongly recommend that you avopid the Allen A in Wolfeboro NH!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank BPS1
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I booked rooms here for two of my sons and their families, because we were attending a wedding, but was a little worried by the reviews that said the rooms smelled of mold. However, there was no smell of mold, and the Allen A Motor Inn turned out to be a very nice, totally clean, pleasant place to stay, with very friendly and helpful staff. I definitely recommend the Allen A!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank CarolSeattle_WA
East Greenwich, RI
Reviewed July 6, 2008

When I was told I had to pay first before I got the room key I was a bit leery. I was directed to my room around the side of the building. We parked in the front of my room and I noticed paint peeling above the outside of the front door and broken siding surrounding the building. The front door of the room had been spray painted from a can and you could see the door paint overspray on the surrounding area. Once inside there was a terrible moldy smell and the air conditioner was set to maximum. (Probably to try and remove the odor.) Our first night was spent killing the multitiudes of bugs that were crawling underneath the door (There was a 1/2 inch gap at the bottom) Seeing as it was the 4th of Ju;y weekend and we were visiting relatives we really had no choice given the fact that the area hotels were booked solid. (We tried!) The second night was spent listening to people that that put in the room next to us with a blaring TV and kids running around till 3AM. The next day we decided to check out even though we had already paid for the night. When I confronted the desk manager he said he didnt realize that there were those type of problems. I laughed at him and told him "if you didnt know about the problems why did you ask for payment before I received my room key?" He told me there was nothing he could do but to have a nice trip home. I will do anything I can to let everyone know what a "Motel from Hell" the Allen A motel is. It was my worst experience ever. Terrible. I'm not sure I can get any of my money back through my credit card company but I will try. $109.00 plus tax per night is a ripoff!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the room smell
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank dondo54
Reviewed July 27, 2007

Had to find a place to stay and stumbled upon this hotel. Most importantly the bathroom and room was clean with fresh smelling sheets. THe room was very simple and a bit dated but it was fair for the price. The shower was awesome, lots of good pressure.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — motor inn
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank sbcvulcan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfeboro
The Wolfeboro Inn
#2 of 5 in Weirs Beach
Half Moon Motel & Cottages
Half Moon Motel & Cottages
#1 of 5 in Weirs Beach

Been to Allen A Motor Inn? Share your experiences!