“Raw food, Rude” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garwoods Restaurant

Garwoods Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 39 Restaurants in Wolfeboro
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
“Raw food, Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We live on the lake, and have been to Wolfeboro on multiple occasions during the summer. We have been to Garwoods several times for drinks during the summer and the service was super slow, but we chalked that up to the season. Today I decided to take my daughter and her friend, both 13, out for lunch. Big mistake! When we arrived it was not crowded and we were seated right away. I ordered soup and the kids both ordered a burger. When the meal arrived, the fries were cold (which they did not complain about), but the burgers were completely raw. My daughter cut hers in half and blood came gushing out saturating her bun and filling up her plate. After waiting about 10 minutes (did I mention they were not busy) for the waitress to come back. I told her that the burgers were clearly raw and they need new ones. The waitress commented "we will just re cook the ones on their plates." I refused and asked for fresh ones that were well done, absolutely no pink, but not burnt on the outside. 20 minutes later, their burgers show up, they cut them open and they are medium, at best with the blood running out of them. I proceed to tell her that we are frustrated and we are not going to wait another 20 minutes for them to cook a simple burger, as we had been there for an hour and we needed to meet someone. She does not apologize, she does not offer for them to even eat some of the fries, she prints up the bill and puts it on our table without a word. I review the bill, where she did not remove the correct amount for the burgers. I had a cup of soup, they had 2 sodas each and the bill was $16.99. I asked to speak with the manager, who I think may actually be the owner? (not positive), and he shrugs his shoulder and says "oh, well she just forgot to take off the cheese." He speaks to me in a very arrogant, dismissive tone and says they recooked the burgers to medium well. I tell him that I specifically told the waitress, who had a bad attitude, that the burgers were to be cooked all the way through NO PINK, well done, not burnt. I told him I do not want to pay for kids the drinks, and he said "why don't you think you should have to pay for the drinks." Uh, well...maybe because I have two starving teenagers who have been waiting an hour for a simple hamburger, who ordered another soda because they didn't have any food! He then took the receipt, crumbled it up into a ball, and said "don't worry about it," turned around and walked off. At no time did the waitress or the manger offer an apology about the raw food or the wait. In fact, they acted like most people eat their burgers raw, bloody and runny. The food is overpriced, the service is awful, the management is even worse. Next time I will definitely go to O's, Canoe or Church Landing where the service, management and food all match the price. Oh, and one more thing, $2.00 for a refill on soda, give me a break.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

ALTON BAY
“Renovated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Garwoods had a redo a year or so ago and looks very nice. In the summer months, they offer dining dockside. Food was very good for both lunch and dinner the few times we have gone. It can get very busy during the peak seasons, so you may want to have an alternative if necessary. A little pricey, but that comes with the territory.

Visited September 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

The food was mediocre. The haddock,Filet Mignon, and burger were all flavorless.My daughter had the chicken tenders and she said they weren't the best. The service was ok, but the price was exceptionally high. I don't mind spending quite some money if it was good food,but this isn't exactly the best food. I have definitely made better choices to deciding where to go for dinner.

Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
“Very good in Wolfeboro isn't the same as a very good in Boston or NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I had a perfectly nice meal at the bar - soup and a hamburger. To be fair I am probably favorably disposed to the place because a) the barman was chatty and nice to my son, b) the conversation with the guy from town next to me was good and c) the New York Yankees had just been swept by the Tigers in the AL championship. This of course will put a Red Sox/Phillies fan in a good mood under almost any circumstances. So unless you are a New Yorker with an attitude this is a nice comfortable place with a warm and friendly atmosphere.

Canton, Michigan
“Popular place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great bar and interesting menu...dine by the lake shore...make reservations in busy season...I had one of the best burgers I have ever had there...

Visited October 2012