“Historical hotel right on the Lake”
Review of The Wolfeboro Inn

The Wolfeboro Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Wolfeboro
Santa Rosa, California
“Historical hotel right on the Lake”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Wolfeboro Inn is the oldest summer resort in the USA ... but it has been nicely updated to reflect the times, The location was tops .. a couple of minutes walk down to the center of town. It sits back from the lake ... but it IS lakefront property. It has it's own dock and Adirondack chairs down at the beach. At night, they light the outdoor firepit. The lobby is warm and cozy and the staff is very friendly. Darrin, the new GM, aims to please and goes the extra mile to help the guests. The historical attached restaurant and tavern offers excellent choices ... I recommend the salmon. MMMMM All in all .... a very nice stay right on Lake Winnipesaukee. ~ Ron in Santa Rosa, Calif. ~

Room Tip: Some rooms have lake views ... some refrigerators ALL with great bedding and flat-sceen TV's
1 Thank RonAlbri2013
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for the kind words within your review on Tripadvisor.com. It was absolutely our pleasure to serve you and your wife and we're all so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We all strive to provide all of our guests with wonderful memories.
I was there when you asked to see our Executive Chef, Hoke Wilson, and he was so pleased that you enjoyed your meal enough to request to meet him. He and his team put so much effort into their creations and your satisfaction is their only goal.
We certainly look forward to serving you and your wife again when your travels bring you back to the most beautiful town in New England. Thank you again for being our guest, and travel safely!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The accommodations at this are excellent. The rooms are very comfortable, the quality of the restaurant food is excellent and reasonably priced. The staff was very friendly, courteous and helpful. This was our first trip to New England to see the fall colors so we were in need of assistance from the locals. The staff here were all very helpful and added to the enjoyment of the trip. Also, much of the downtown area is within walking distance so the location is great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing The Wolfeboro Inn for your first trip up to New England, and thank you for your kind review on Tripadvisor.com. I was very happy to hear about the friendliness of the staff...was have some tremendous people here that really value providing great service so that our guests' experience is memorable.
I, too, enjoyed your comments about the food in the Tavern. Our Executive Chef, Hoke Wilson, and his team simply love what they do and it shows with every dish that leaves that kitchen! They change things up daily and keep all the ingredients local and fresh.
Thank you again for being our guest. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again when your travels bring you back to the most beautiful place in New England!
Travel safely.
Long Island, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I would definitely recommend this Inn. Upon our arrival the parking lot was full and the woman at the front desk (I wish I would have gotten her name) moved her car for us so we could park. That was the beginning of a great trip. The rooms were very clean and the suite we moved to on the second night of our stay was so big and spacious. Everything was clean and we'll maintained. After reading some other reviews I was a bit nervous but we loved the place so I guess you can't please everyone. The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant! The town is a great place and I can't waits go back!

Room Tip: Room 100 was great Can't wait to stay again
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words on Tripadvisor.com. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the property and the rooms clean, spacious and well-maintained. I am also thrilled that your first impression with our front office associate was a memorable one. We speak daily on the importance of providing a great experience, paramount hospitality and and lasting memories...glad we didn't disappoint you.
When traveling back to this area we would love the opportunity to serve you and your family again. Thank you so much for being our gust, and travel safely.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We rent a home on Lake Wentworth for several weeks every summer to escape the Texas heat, and have eaten at the inn but never stayed there until our recent trip. We were very favorably impressed. The inn has a comfortable, warm, welcoming feel that was a perfect antidote to the chill, rainy day. Our room was tastefully decorated and comfortable, and the public spaces were cozy and inviting. We will recommend the inn to friends who travel to Wolfeboro.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for being our guest and for your favorable review on Tripadvisor.com. I am very happy that you were able to stay here at the Inn after dining with us several times. I appreciate all of the kind words used to describe your room and the public spaces. We all work very hard to ensure that the property is clean and well-maintained so that your experiences will be memorable. There are no details too small that do not lend to our guests' satisfaction...in both the Inn and Wolfe's Tavern.
I thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you and your family when your travels bring you back from Texas. Travel safely.
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We've been coming to Wolfeboro for many years and stayed at the Wolfeboro Inn in the past, but not for several years. Someone else characterized the property as "upscale rustic" and that's not a bad description. If you're looking for the Four Seasons, this isn't it, but it's very pleasant, well maintained, and in a great location. Yes, it really is waterfront- can't understand how someone could say otherwise. The real positive is the staff- they are fantastic. My wife broke her ankle (not on the property) while we were there and they couldn't have been more accommodating. Really nice people, great job! Also, we hadn't eaten in the restaurant for years because historically it had been mediocre. The big surprise of the trip was that a new chef a couple of years ago has made all the difference. The food was creative, very well presented, altogether terrific. I'd call it very good upscale casual- there is a a good choice of very casual bar food and very nice finer entrees. All nicely done and reasonably priced. It's back on our list of "go to" places in Wolfeboro!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for your kind remarks on tripadvisor.com. We were all so sorry to see your wife struggling after she broke her ankle, but she certainly kept her spirits up...you were both just a delight and we all loved being able to help in any way that we could.
I really appreciate the comments regarding the friendliness of the staff...we truly want you to feel like family while you're staying with us and I'm glad that their true colors came through and created a lasting impression.
Hoke Wilson, our Executive Chef, and his team are remarkable. They have worked extremely hard to change the image that the Wolfe's Tavern once held. I appreciate you giving us a second chance and I am thrilled that you enjoyed yourself so much.
From all of here at The Wolfeboro Inn, we wish your wife a speedy recovery and we look forward to serving you both again when your travels bring you back to the area.
Thank you again for staying with us, and travel safely!
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I love this hotel. I have stayed twice and I hope to be back in the future. It is charming and cozy. I love that it has its own private beach on the lake. I have stayed both time in the early fall and have had the beach to myself, a quiet place to read, reflect, and even nap! The turn down service each evening is a fun treat. The staff has always been friendly and helpful to me. It was the perfect place to come "home" to after a 3-day backpacking trip up in the White Mountains. Wolfeboro is a lovely little town with lots of great options for food and drink (e.g.Garwoods, the diner, Lydia's Cafe, and Bailey's Bubble) and Dive Winnipesaukee will hook you up with a kayak or anything you need to enjoy the lake more. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for your review on Tripadvisor.com. Repeat guests are always very valued, as our impression caused you to return. I truly appreciate your favorable comments regarding the property and the friendliness of our staff. We all try to create a memorable experience for all of our guests...glad we did not disappoint.
Thank you again for returning to us, and we all look forward to serving you again when your travels bring you back to the most beautiful spot in the North East. Travel safely!
Napa, California
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The only positive thing that happened after we checked in to the Wolfeboro Inn is that they offered to credit our card back if we wanted to leave and we definitely did! The Inn looks great from the outside and there seem to be a lot of great reviews. However, I completely agree with another review that the rooms are "dark and dreary", the hotel is sitting on the road or a large parking lot and has a DISTANT view of the lake through very mature trees, that is probably great from the roof of the building. I was told that I would have a room with a balcony and full view of the lake. The room that was given to us was on the road and with barely a view. I was sure that there was a mistake. According to "Sam" at the front desk this room is what they categorized as full view of the lake. If that's the case, they're being very deceptive. Sam's lousy attitude probably was just as much a factor to our leaving as anything else. She just did not care that they had not at all delivered what was promised. Go the the Lake Motel at the other end of town. It's terrific! It really is on the lake, owners are so nice and it's half the price!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joadams0917
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I certainly value any and all feedback received from our guests and would like to take this opportunity to address a few of your concerns with your stay. The first has to do with lakefront. Ms. joadams0917, I respectfully disagree with your assessment. There is no question that we are indeed a lakefront property. The pictures on our website and pictures posted on TripAdvisor from past guests confirm this. We have our own private beach, our own private dock and our own private boat, The Winnipesaukee Belle. Like all properties, not every room has a view (not even the other location mentioned does. In fact at that location you could get a view of a parking lot and the main building). I am certain they, as we, clarify that through correspondence and on their web site. Not every room can possibly have lake view – anywhere. We evidently did not meet your expectations in this area and for that we apologize.

Additionally, I am sorry you felt that your interaction with the desk was less than accommodating. We have some of the most experienced we’ll versed professional guest service agents in the Lakes regions. In my 23 years of experience, I would rank this group among the best. Their GSR (Guest Satisfaction Rating) have maintained a 90% + for 4 years running. We have not encountered this type of reaction especially with this guest service agent. I'm sorry that your impression of her was a negative one. In my heart I know it was not her intent. I believe the circumstances and difference of perspective placed you and Samantha in a very difficult situation. Once again We are sorry we were not able to meet your expectations.

Thank you again, and travel safely!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfeboro
Church Landing at Mill Falls
The Margate Resort
#3 of 13 in Laconia
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
123 North Main Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Wolfeboro Inn? Share your experiences!