“Well-located but needs updating”
Review of The Wolfeboro Inn

The Wolfeboro Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Wolfeboro
Reviewed July 31, 2013

For the price we paid our room was very disappointing. It was large and fairly well-appointed, but the outside view was of a big ugly air conditioning tube, and the furniture was far from charming. The Inn is historic and seems like it could use updating. The front desk staff were helpful, but quite dense and uninformed. For example they said that we wouldn't be able to find any restaurants in town that had salads or stuff for vegetarians and they totally pushed their own mediocre restaurant. We found several excellent places to eat on the main street of the town. Also, when I asked for down pillows they said they didn't have any since it was not something anyone would ever want. They finally found me a couple of them, and they were far from soft and feathery. It's still probably the best place to stay since it is so well located, and if you keep you expectations low you should be satisfied.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank CrisPopenoe
George S, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Chris Popenoe,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are always appreciative the time guests take and the positive as well as constructive comments they share. In review of your comments, our staff service by and large does not typically get a review such as this. My apologies for the guest service agent who was not able to adequately answer your inquiries. I believe we were able to isolate and make the appropriate adjustment playing to their strengths in another capacity. Our team is professional, extremely well read, from the area and has no less than 4 years’ experience at the desk. You’d be hard pressed to find better. I do not think you’d be disappointed in the future. The Inn was built in 1812 with an extension added in the mid 1980’s. It possesses a lot of history and character and is very unique, completely unlike a “brand” hotel. Most rooms have contemporary furniture while some (to the preference of some guests) have the traditional lakeside knotty-pine furnishings. I’m sorry you did not care for the design of your room.

The only exception I would take is identifying the restaurant as “mediocre”. It is anything but. We hold numerous awards and recognitions consistently rank among the top 3 in the area and have an executive chef that has twice won the Gourmet Diners Club Silver spoon award as well as rated a perfect 100% in Conde-Naste Traveler.
Again, thank you for your comments we always appreciate the insights of our guests and work hard to use them as a driver for perfection.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Quaint and perfect for a weekend trip to the lake. We had a pretty standard queen-size room, basic but spacious and clean (most important to me!). The little beach area was nice to sit by in the afternoon, although they could have used plenty more chairs and perhaps cleaned up the sand area. In the afternoon they served cookies and refreshments in the lobby and in the mornings fresh coffee was available. You can easily walk into town to have dinner and shop. We plan to visit again in the Fall and next summer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear M_NYC_84

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am delighted that your stay with us was so pleasurable. Comments like yours are a real source of pride for us. We truly do work hard to achieve this kind of success every day. I will be certain to share your comments with the staff. We look forward to your return and being of service to you again.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My family stayed at the Wolfeboro Inn over the July 4th holiday- what a New England treasure! The rooms are clean, modern rustic decor with outstanding wifi service and lovely views of the lake. We had a shared balcony which was fun for my two small kids. Not as much fun however as the delightful twin pull outs from these comfy leather chairs, they were overjoyed. The staff sent them cookies and milk after dinner, they felt so special. We had a super, casual fun dinner at Wolfe's Tavern where a live musician was playing and the kids danced in front of the crowd to all American favorites like brown eyed girl. We took an amazing tour of the lake on their antique steamer and were just reminded about why NH, the mountains and Lake are such a respite from Boston in well under 2 hours. With a walk-able location to a quintessential New England lakefront resort town- fun for everyone in the family and a delight to share. In the car ride home we were finding a reason to come back and bring others, it was that memorable.

Dear Wendy Z

Thank you so much for your flattering review. We cannot express enough how appreciative we are that you took so much time to write so intimately and glowingly an account of your visit. We are so pleased to have delivered such an extraordinarily positive experience. We are glad you felt special and enjoyed everything the property has to offer. Comments like yours are the pinnacle of success for us and source of great pride. Enjoy the summer and we do hope will have an opportunity to see you again very soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We came to the Wolfeboro Inn as part of a Wedding group. So we had one of the rooms that were part of the "block of rooms" for the Wedding. The pictures on the website of rooms were far from what our room looked like. The way the hotel sits on the property there doesn't look like there are many rooms with a view, and ours was not one of them. It was very dark, as there was only one and half windows in the very far corner of the room. The air conditioning was almost non existent!! (a very warm weekend in Wolfboro). Although I would not say that people at the front desk were rude, no one was overly friendly!! When we were leaving I said to my husband, I don't think I would ever come back. His response was, I agree, it was almost like they did not want us here!! Several friends who were part of the wedding had these things to say to us:
I asked to sit on the deck for lunch on Saturday and the hostess told me the tables were all reserved, she then commented, that she never saw one person sit out there all afternoon.
The bride was told that the suite she rented for her and her new husband might not be ready for the afternoon where the groom and his groomsmen were to get dressed!
The bride had told the bar the night before the wedding, that she thought a bunch of people would be back after the wedding to have a night cap. Their response, "we might not be opened".
We did arrive back at the hotel after the wedding to find it open and two friendly bartenders taking care of us all. After last call, and when most of the group left, there were a few of us left talking an finishing our drinks. The manager came up to the bride, who was still in her beautiful wedding dress and said, If you and your party don't leave, I will have to call the cops!! Can you imagine. Yes, it was late, but it was a small group and they were not loud, and it was the bride, who's family and friends had spent a little bit of money at the hotel.
So maybe my husband it right, they just don't want wedding parties and all that they bring to a hotel around!!!
My husband and I have stayed in a lot of hotels, with all different price ranges. This is the first time I have been compelled to write a review, good or bad. Our experience this time, just made me feel the need. We will not return

Room Tip: Make sure you request the one of the few, with a view!
5  Thank emmmom248
Darrin F, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and for your review on tripadvisor.com. All feedback is invaluable to us and we try to act on anything negative that might have happened during any of our guests' stay so they can leave us happy and delighted, but to also ensure that the negative aspect is not replicated. I am so sorry that your experience with us was not exceptional. We strive to create pleasant and lasting memories and I am very unhappy that we were not able to do this for you. After investigation, we did notice a slight odor coming from the carpet in between the beds. We completely stripped the entire room of all linens, deep-cleaned the room which included shampooing the carpets and reassembled it.
I would like to prove to you that this was an anomaly, and certainly not the normal experience that our guests have come to expect. If your travels bring you back to this area, please contact me directly at (603) 569-3016 so I can personally attend to your reservation.
Thank you again for staying with us, and travel safely!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I checked into this hotel after leaving Meredith, NH, which is a beautiful area an hour from Wolfeboro. This inn had received decent ratings, so I decided to give it a try. Just goes to show you Trip Advisor is not always super accurate. Someone actually thought the little lotions given in the room were impressive. I am more of an upscale traveler and would never stay here again. The front desk people were rude and obnoxious. They shoved my kids and me in a first floor room and told me the rest of the hotel was sold out. This was a lie, come to find out later. The room was filthy with black dirt on the pillows and hair in the bathroom. Really? The only good thing about the hotel was the restaurant. I ate breakfast there before I left with my pants on fire, and it was actually quite good and reasonably priced. If you are planning a trip to Lake Winnipesaukee, try Meredith, or rent a house in Wolfeboro. Don't waste your money on the Inn....it's absolutely no better than an old Holiday Inn.

3  Thank spin4lyf
George S, General Manager at The Wolfeboro Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Spin4lyf,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am sorry you did not share the same experience as the vast majority of our visitors have. While Meredith is nice I will respectfully agree to disagree when compared to Wolfeboro, known as the Jewel of Lake Winnipesaukee (taking nothing away from our sister town across the Lake). This is the picture-perfect, quintessential New England Village. Our amenities in the bathroom are Gilchrist & Soames products which I believe are universally acknowledged and respected as a high-end product, I am sorry if you felt otherwise. Needless to say your comments regarding the front desk agent being anything less than honest caught my immediate attention and so I personally conducted an investigation. By and large we overwhelmingly get positive responses regarding our staff, especially the front desk staff so this was a real surprise to me and out of character. The Inn was built in 1812 with an extension added in the mid 1980’s. It possesses a lot of history and character and is very unique, completely unlike a “brand” hotel. That is often the charm for many people (though not for all I agree). As I understand it you arrived without a reservation at the hotel, which is always welcome and encouraged, but in doing so it did not give you the opportunity in advance to search, inquire and select a room that would much more comfortably fit you and your 3 young children. The front desk associate offered you one of the very few rooms that she felt would be most comfortable under the circumstances. While it was an average size room is was the largest we had available. I understand further that you were just not satisfied with the room, given the amount of occupants, and at turndown service you asked our room attendant to show you other rooms that might be available. This she did gladly and willingly to please you as our guest for one full hour offering you a half a dozen options on two floors, including showing all the rooms a second time so your children could participate in the decision making process. At the end of the day all of the rooms were determined not to be of your liking, mostly due to size and you stayed in your original room. There were 8 available rooms in the hotel and perhaps we should have showed you them without question and not assumed we knew best for you despite the ultimate outcome. I have spoken to our staff in this regard. I am very sorry we were not able to satisfy you during your stay, but I do appreciate the feedback. I have taken lessons from it and I do thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at the Wolfeboro Inn whilst on holiday in New England and this hotel epitomised the beauty of New Hampshire and it's incredible scenery. It is styled to portray the environment, is quiet and quaint with wholesome food and drink aplenty. The waiting staff were wonderful and the reception area welcoming. We wished we had stayed longer, we thoroughly enjoyed being there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, although our room was lovely, the view was the conditioning unit as we w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Ricicle 1960,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am delighted that your stay with us was so pleasurable. Comments like yours are a real source of pride for us. We work hard and strive to achieve this kind of success every day and I will be certain to share your comments with the staff. We are blessed to be in the town Wolfeboro, the Jewel of Lake Winnipesaukee with prime downtown location. We look forward to your return and being of service to you again.

We appreciate the time you took and the information we get from guests like yourself is invaluable.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed one night at the Inn as a gift from my Boss. It was the start of our week long vacation that would eventually lead us to the Adirondack's in NY. We had a great room and everyone at the Inn was very kind and helpful. It was a great start to our vacation and we also ate in the restaurant which was also great!!! Loved everything this Inn had to offer!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear JazPoisson,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that we were the perfect kick-off to a relaxing, enjoyable vacation. I will be certain to share with the staff how complimentary you were of their service and including our restaurant which has been receiving high accolades of late (last 2 years). I know the restaurant staff front and back of the house will be thrilled.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolfeboro
The Naswa Resort
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#4 of 13 in Laconia

Been to The Wolfeboro Inn? Share your experiences!