“Exceeded my expectation, a little jewel of a museum” 5 of 5 bubbles

Wright Museum of WWII
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Wolfeboro
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This Museum's purpose is to educate, entertain and inspire visitors with the story of WWII-era Americans often called "the greatest generation". The Wright Museum is open seasonally from May 1st to October 31st.
New Hampshire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Exceeded my expectation, a little jewel of a museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

From a small town like wolfeboro, NH, I was expecting a small, dusty, and bric-a-bracish collection. I was very wrong. The museum on the whole is fairly small, but the collection is excellent, and very well maintained and displayed. There are quite a few uniforms, and a some vehicles, including 2 tanks, cars, jeeps, snow vehicles, motorcycles, etc..., Even a small reconnaissance plane, but more than 50% of the museum focuses on the home front with a recreated soda fountain, home interiors, dentist office, etc... Even my wife and 10-year old daughter (With very limited interest in the period) were enchanted by the very engaging displays. The museum does an excellent job of plunging you in the atmosphere of the 40s. If you plan a vacation in the area, or if you have any sort of interest in WW2, this is a must-see museum - I can't wait to go back.

Visited July 2011

Atlanta, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“fabulous exhibit of American life during WWII”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

This museum is dedicated to On the Home Front Life in America from 1939-1946. You can not only learn about what Americans at home did to help the war effort, including all the programs in the schools (who knew?) and how women moved into the work force--a great exhibit and video on women pilots and the parts they played, but also travel through time with exhibits of what was in the news, not only regarding the war, but movies, songs, events, inventions, etc. There is also a large hall exhibiting restored military vehicles. This would be a great first history museum for kids, as there are many displays of toys and games, as well as all the information on school programs to help the war effort. WELL DONE! Glad we didn't miss this one. We spent about 2 hours, but I'm sure you could zero in on your special interests and see those in an hour. We could have spent longer, but ran out of time!

Visited June 2011
2 Thank audrey1134
Londonderry, New Hampshire
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Well worth the visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

I grumbled when my husband suggested a family outing to a place dedicated to the history of World War II, but this museum ranks right up there with anything I've seen in more metropolitan areas. It has an amazing collection of artifacts. I wouldn't consider myself a history buff, and I am definitely not a war buff, but this museum was a pleasant surprise. Even our six year old son enjoyed it. All too often, history is presented in a way that doesn't interest children, but the Wright Museum shares the history of the WWII era through pop culture- toys, clothing, vehicles, etc. It was neat to look at a kitchen from that time period to compare it to a kitchen of today. The war vehicles are beautifully restored, although it was very tempting to touch them since they aren't roped off or anything. I highly recommend visiting, even if you don't think you enjoy learning about history.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank NHmomUSA
DC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Nice museum, capable staff, worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

The WW II tank that looks like it's crashing out of the building makes the museum easy to find. Exhibits are interesting and well maintained. Staff is helpful & friendly. I visited several years ago with my Dad, Aunt & Uncle who are all WW II veterans and they enjoyed it, too.

A good activity for a rainy day, if you need a break from the sun, or if you just want to keep your mind engaged while on vacation!

4 Thank Mifflin1